Local game stores

exe163

[H]ard|Gawd
Before Uncharted 2 arrives at my door step, I was thinking about picking up Uncharted 1 to get the momentum going. So I went to BestBuy, the closest electronic store near my house, and look for Uncharted. They didn't have it. Then I drove farther to Toys R Us, they didn't have it either. Finally, out of options, I drove even farther to the nearest Gamestop. Luckily they did have it in stock. And the rumors are true, all the games labeled new are open box. They have price stickers all over the case. Somehow they even manage to tape one under the cover. I guess I am stuck with that.

After more than a hour drive, payed tax and full price, I was able to get an open box game of one of PS3's greatest titles. I think they have every reasons to lose to online retailers.

Pretty much agree. The only time I buy anything local any more is some of Targets insane unadvertised clearance prices (like $9.99 for RF:G even though its only 3 weeks old).

Quality control. You never know what could happen to those discs in the packages, i'm sure they've saved thousands of customers the hassle of having to find a damaged disc upon getting home. Think of the saved tears of little children.

I'm being sarcastic. I've gone into my local gamestop [of which there are two...right across the street from each other] and they've not been helpful in the least. I asked for a list of song titles from Rockband and Guitar Hero to determine which version I wanted to play and they couldn't accomodate me, told me to look it up online. Amazon, even with release date delivery charges less than I would have to pay with tax to Gamestop. I think the physical proof that emails brings from correspondance lends itself to their support acting more responsible and taking care of matters.

What happens at Gamestop is that they have sealed copies behind the counter for more popular titles, but the ones that they display out in the store they open and take the disc out. With new titles if you ask sometimes they will have sealed ones.

The problem is this: stupid parents still buy games at the store, and don't know any better.

Back