"Local Access" Annoyance, no network..

Syribo

[H]ard|Gawd
Okay... I'm on my last bit of patience here because I just can not figure out WTF happened here.

Last night, when playing WoW, I was disconnected 8 times. I decided to restart my connection. I turn off the modem and router.. leave them unplugged for a bit.. then plug them back in.. and boom. Can't get internet working on any computer on my network (My Vista64 machine, my XP32 machine and my fathers Vista32 machine). No wireless devices, everything is connected by ethernet cables.

All I get is that "Local Only" or "Limited" stuff.. which is useless, of course.. However..

When I plug the ethernet cable directly from my modem to the computer, the internet works. So I'm guessing the problem is with the router? I have a Dlink DIR-655 router.

Any help would be greatly appreciated... as my father and I are fighting over the single ethernet/internet cable that works right now :p I don't know what else to do. Tried resetting the network adapter.. tried even going to a restore point to see if it was a windows update or something that messed it up, but no. My computer specs are in my sig (Both computers). Also, I don't think it helps but it can't hurt to mention I have cable internet.

Please please let me know if you have any ideas I should try right now :(

Definitely sounds like your router. Make sure when you power cycle things you turn on the modem first, let it sync up, then power up the router. The order can make a big difference. Check your router diags to make sure it's getting an IP from the modem. You can also try doing a factory reset on the router (make sure you resecure your wireless) and/or check for newer firmware.

Most definitely your router. I experienced the same problems a few weeks ago, had to buy myself a new one.

Yah... what bigddybn said.

Can you get to the control panel of the D-Link router?
Have you reset the D-Link router?

Yah... what bigddybn said.

Can you get to the control panel of the D-Link router?
Have you reset the D-Link router?

I reset it by pressing the button on the back.. still nothing. I'm going to make sure there is no firmware update, and if there is I will install it and then see what's up..

This is driving me insane.

Hold down that button for about 30 seconds. It will revert to factory settings. You shouldn't need to set anything up for a cable modem. Just go back in afterward and make sure your wireless settings are secured.

A firmware upgrade should also reset factory settings and my not be a bad idea either.

a buddy of mine had a huge problem with his router rebooting constantly. Went to his house and he had it in his attic... problem was, the attic was about 120 degrees and his router was overheating.

I'm guessing your situation would be less drastic (if heat is your problem), but be sure that your router is cool + has plenty of air moving around it.

Did the firmware update... absolutely no change.

Also, every time I then try to take the internet cable (from the modem) from the router and put it in my PC, in order to get online I have to reset the adapter every single time.

Should I just go out and buy a new router or something? My router is in my room with my computer and myself, it's got air and not overheating...

Also.. I really don't need a wireless router anymore since all the computers in the house use ethernet.. Does anyone have any recommendations? :(

Last edited:
Are you using the same cable to connect directly to the cable modem that is used to connect the router? Patch cables do go bad sometimes.

Were you ever able to see if the router was being granted an IP by the cable modem?

Are you using the same cable to connect directly to the cable modem that is used to connect the router? Patch cables do go bad sometimes.

Were you ever able to see if the router was being granted an IP by the cable modem?

I've tried different cables... all the same result.

How do I make sure the router is being granted an IP by the cable modem exaclty? I'm not a noob with technology.. but I am not that great with networking :(

You need to access the configuration page of your router. Usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254. Type the address in your web browser to access it. If neither of those work open a command prompt (start>run>cmd) and type ipconfig. Make note of the "default gateway" address and type that address into your web browser. These pages are different between models but look for a "status" or "wan status" selection.

When you connect to its control panel, there should be a tab with WAN settings, or status, that should say if its got an IP address.

//edit: me slow.

WAN

Connection Type : DHCP Client

QoS Engine : Active

Cable Status : Disconnected

DNS Status : Offline

Network Status : Disconnected

Connection Up Time : N/A

MAC Address : 00:19:DB:5E:EB:71

Authentication & Security :

IP Address : 0.0.0.0

Subnet Mask : 0.0.0.0

Default Gateway : 0.0.0.0

Primary DNS Server : 0.0.0.0

Secondary DNS Server : 0.0.0.0

Advanced DNS : Disabled

That's what is listed under 'WAN' ....
Also.. I tried setting up a new wireless network with the router, and then trying to connect on my dads laptop (Since it has a wireless card) and I STILL got Local and Limited access. So I tried to connect to someone elses wireless connection, and bam.. Internet

Does your router have a light for the "internet" or "wan" port? Is it lit? It seems your router thinks there is nothing plugged into it. You do have the modem plugged into the right port right? If that light isn't lit and you are sure of the cable and that you are using the right port I think you are looking at a hardware failure and likely a new router in the future.

Does your router have a light for the "internet" or "wan" port? Is it lit? It seems your router thinks there is nothing plugged into it. You do have the modem plugged into the right port right? If that light isn't lit and you are sure of the cable and that you are using the right port I think you are looking at a hardware failure and likely a new router in the future.

Yup, light is lit when I plug the ethernet cable from the modem to the router. It's definitely plugged into the right port, heh ;)

I figure it must be the router failing... I at least have my own computer online, and I connected my fathers wireless to the Optimum Wi-Fi network, since we have Optimum Online we can connect to any optimumwifi hot spot (Unfortunately, the closest one isn't too close it seems.. the connection is 'Poor' but its better than nothing for now). So I'm looking at routers, trying to decide what to get... I really loved the DIR-655... I would get another, but it concerns me that it's failing after less than a year.. Actually, it might be EXACTLY one year since I bought it. (This doesn't surprise me.. as my last keyboard failed TWO DAYS after the warranty expired :( ).

I just need something that I can connect my three PCs and my PS3 to.. Wireless would only be used for my DS, so it's not that important since I have the DS Wi-fi USB thing for the computer.

Try another cable between the router and modem. Preferably a brand new or known working cable.

Hm... call D-Link and use that charm of urs to get them to fix it. :p

Hm... call D-Link and use that charm of urs to get them to fix it. :p

Haha ;) I would... but I was wrong :( I bought this router April 08, dammit. heh.

So do you guys really think its the router? You don't think my ISP could be blocking the router somehow, right?

It's really looking like a router. Frankly they are so cheap that it really isn't worth pulling your hair out over. Newegg consistently has refurbs for cheap that are DD-WRT capable. I'd pick one of those up personally.

It's really looking like a router. Frankly they are so cheap that it really isn't worth pulling your hair out over. Newegg consistently has refurbs for cheap that are DD-WRT capable. I'd pick one of those up personally.

I should have gone with a cheaper one.. but for some reason I bought ANOTHER DIR-655 :( I mean, this router was amazing for the past 14 months... I really want to keep the same one :(

When the new router comes, I'll finally know if it's the router or not that's causing the problem. If the new one won't work either, I'll return it, and.. well.. then I'm at a loss, because I have no idea what else could be wrong.

You've proven the cable modem works. You say your cables are good. You've proven that both of your computer NICs are good. The only thing left is the router.

Did you ever hold down that reset button for 30 seconds to restore factory settings? Can you ping the other PCs on the network through the router?

... Frankly they are so cheap that it really isn't worth pulling your hair out over. ...

I guess you either didn't see the price of the DIR-655, or you think $95 is "cheap." :p

For $95, I'd call them up and ask 'em WTF?!?!?

I said routers are cheap, not that particular router. He mentioned that he didn't really need wireless. Yes his router is expensive and yes I'd give them a call but in the meantime snag a 30 dollar cheapie and have a spare for down the road.

Oh, is that what you meant? Sorry... I couldn't tell the first time. ;)

She has expensive taste. :p

Oh, is that what you meant? Sorry... I couldn't tell the first time. ;)

She has expensive taste. :p

Ugh, I DO have expensive taste I think :X When you guys were picking out the parts for my computer (Wow can you believe that was 15 months ago already ;)) I went with the most expensive parts I could XD I always figure if its expensive, it's made better.

..I have learned that that is not the case xD But I did like this router a lot and would love to give it another try.

And yup, I went back to factory settings, doing it a few different ways actually :(

Did you reset your cable modem after switching from the PC back to the router? Most (all?) cable modems lock onto the MAC address of the first device it detects after powering up. Switching to your router after it's been locked to your PC would give you a no internet problem.

Did you reset your cable modem after switching from the PC back to the router? Most (all?) cable modems lock onto the MAC address of the first device it detects after powering up. Switching to your router after it's been locked to your PC would give you a no internet problem.

I completely agree here - if you get internet on your computer when plugged into the modem, you'll need to use the "clone mac address" feature in your router to get things working. Otherwise, you'll need to wait for the DHCP license your computer recieved to go away - which is likely a few days. If you'd get lucky with tech support, you might find someone who knows enough to manually kill your license..... but the easiest thing is for you to just use the "clone mac address" feature of your router

I completely agree here - if you get internet on your computer when plugged into the modem, you'll need to use the "clone mac address" feature in your router to get things working. Otherwise, you'll need to wait for the DHCP license your computer recieved to go away - which is likely a few days. If you'd get lucky with tech support, you might find someone who knows enough to manually kill your license..... but the easiest thing is for you to just use the "clone mac address" feature of your router

5 years ago I would have agreed with this. It's very rare today to have to do this and OP said they were swapping computers no problem which tells me the ISP doesn't care.

Here's an update :) I just got the new DIR-655 from NewEgg in the mail... hooked it up, turned on my computer and VOILA! Internet! Thank GOD :) I hope this router lasts more than 14 months!

Although, I'm starting to think I've got a killing touch or something. My backup HDD stopped working last week... then the router thing... and now my second computer (My old Dell 4550) won't turn on :( I'm so confused. With the power cord connected, the only thing that shows any life is the ethernet port which is lit up. When I take out the power cord, the lights are off (obviously). So it seems the computer is getting power.. but it just won't turn on. I don't even know how to go about looking inside this thing. I may have built my newer computer and can fix it and swap in and out parts.. but.. when it comes to my old crappy Dell.. I don't know where to start xD

Maybe it just needs a good cleaning or something.. it gets filled with dust pretty fast.. And maybe I should start a new thread about this instead of babbling on and on here hehe.

Thanks for all your help with my router issue! I'm glad I got this fixed :)

Back