Load balancer/wan failover

MadJuggla9

2[H]4U
I've recently replaced one of my backhauls (2 sets of 2 nanobridge m5 25dbi units) and have a direct PTP to my main site now (2x 30dbi RocketDishes).

Since the old link is still sturdy for up to 30megs, and the new link is hitting the mid 90s; I'd like to be able to plug both into a device for redundancy and load balancing. Obviously I'd create a loop if I plugged into a standard switch.

Any recommendations?

You may be better off going Layer 3 on this and using a routing protocol. Faster fail over than something like STP. LACP might be an option as well if you want to keep it L2.

It will be L2 for backhaul purpose. There will be no way I can route at this point in the network. My sector APs are set as routers with different public IPs on the wan vs lan side.

I'm gonna dig some info on LACP

you don't want to use LACP on 2 links that have different bandwidths (i'm assuming that your new connection is higher bandwidth based on what you've stated above). you'll overrun 1 of them very quickly.

you can do redundancy very easily by using a routing protocol across both links... basically have a router on each side with 2x layer 3 interfaces.

Code:
        ________ (backhaul 1) ___________
       /                                 \
router                                     router
       \________ (backhaul 2) ___________/

to load balance it, you'll need something that's more intelligent to run a weighted algorithm (again, assuming differing bandwidths). diagram would be same as above, but "LB" instead of 'router'.

you also dont' mention your budget... that will be a large factor in the solution.

Back