Ln2 + copper tube, why?

DaMiEn

Limp Gawd
I've noticed in the few Ln2 cooling projects that I've seen, that people tend to use copper tubes with a copper base as the container/cooling device. My question is why do they use copper for the tube part? surely having a highly conductive tube is a bad thing because it means the liquid Nitrogen will be losing heat through the tube as well as the base (therefor the Ln2 will evaporate quicker and will be less efficient). Why don't people use an insulating material as the container?

Maybe I'm missing something here but I can't think what :confused:

they do insulate the copper, thats what the black foam on the outside it, it is just the raw tube that is copper. ;)

DaMiEn said:
I've noticed in the few Ln2 cooling projects that I've seen, that people tend to use copper tubes with a copper base as the container/cooling device. My question is why do they use copper for the tube part? surely having a highly conductive tube is a bad thing because it means the liquid Nitrogen will be losing heat through the tube as well as the base (therefor the Ln2 will evaporate quicker and will be less efficient). Why don't people use an insulating material as the container?

Maybe I'm missing something here but I can't think what :confused:

Because it's easy to mount a copper cylinder tube to a copper base I suppose. Liquid nitrogen is a quick slam-bam-get-a-screenshot kinda thing, so usually thoughts like condensation proofing, maximum efficiency, etc. get thrown out the window.

With something that experiences wide swings in temperature, you need to have all your materials have similar thermal expansion/contraction. It would really suck to have the base warp or the bond between tube and base break due to thermal stress.

Also, no type of insulative material that i know of, can transfer heat as well as copper. At least at a resonable price.

hmmm ok good points.

except glcg2000, that's kind of the point I was getting at. It would be better for it NOT to transfer heat well. only the base needs to transfer heat effectively

it doesn't lose heat as bad as you think it does. People are only really getting like -130's with it anyways. LN2 doesn't hold load well. Some of the newer cascades out are starting to break the barrier and pass LN2 w/ more capacity

LN2 is equal about at this moment to the capacity of some of the better cascade's around right now. Soon cascades will surpase LN2 and LN2 will in my opinion loose is luster w/ the top overclockers. It really already has begun to change over.

ALso, name me a material that you can braze to copper that would do the trick? A non-metal is what your getting at right?

gclg2000 said:
Also, no type of insulative material that i know of, can transfer heat as well as copper. At least at a resonable price.

ummm....no insulative material is supposed to be able to transfer heat :) that is the whole point of it being an insulator lol

Back