LMAO @ this 8086k pricing

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
I am just gonna say ...

LMAO

upload_2018-6-8_21-9-4.png

Cheaper, but without warranty, I'd prefer to keep that in tact until the warranty ran out.
It’s highly unlikely you will ever use a cpu warranty. Iv been building pc’s for over 25 years and I have never had a cpu go bad. Plus you do get a warranty from silicon lottery

It’s highly unlikely you will ever use a cpu warranty. Iv been building pc’s for over 25 years and I have never had a cpu go bad. Plus you do get a warranty from silicon lottery
I've only had 1 go bad and it was a old and a poor condition work environment (frankly I think it was electrical that took it out anyway).
I just like the peace of mind, thats the sole reason I got an EVGA motherboard so I could upgrade to the 10 year warranty.

Why do people care so much about the price?

Intel is supposedly only making 50k of these and giving away 8k of them. This proc is simply a special edition with nostalgia factor.

BEcause you can buy a Ryzen 2700 and mother board for around $430.....its pretty overpriced for binned 8700k chips with no delid. It really is a ripoff.

Its not a mass produced chip meant to replace the 8700k, it's a limited edition product.

Its not a mass produced chip meant to replace the 8700k, it's a limited edition product.

So basically its ok to be ripped off since its a 8700k with a special name on the box and heat spreader, which warrants a $100 price increase?.....wow

BEcause you can buy a Ryzen 2700 and mother board for around $430.....its pretty overpriced for binned 8700k chips with no delid. It really is a ripoff.
And this will be faster at anything that doesn't fully load more than six cores.

I wonder why they're selling them so cheap. Isn't the traditional price for a top end consumer CPU like $1000?

Who is to say they will really limit how many though, unless they are numbered..

In 1980 British Leyland planned to produce 500 Limited Edition MGB's as a commemorative for the end of production in 1980. The LE proved to be popular so they ended up building 6,000 of them and most 1980's are black on black LE's

The real question is, did you enter to win one? I know I did even though I am not tempted at all to buy one.

Kid

If they had done something like... use better toothpaste, or ship it delidded, or with a soldered IHS, I'd be happy to pay $100 more - because they actually made something for enthusiasts.

But this is just a barely binned 8700k? Im not outraged or surprised, but still.. Intel is terrible.

Who is to say they will really limit how many though, unless they are numbered..

In 1980 British Leyland planned to produce 500 Limited Edition MGB's as a commemorative for the end of production in 1980. The LE proved to be popular so they ended up building 6,000 of them and most 1980's are black on black LE's
A travesty! The only correct color is British racing green!

1200px-MG_MGB_open_roadster_1969.jpg

How is this even a big deal? MOST people do not have a Microcenter and on Newegg the 8700k is $350 and the 8086k is $425 so 75 bucks more. 75 bucks means very little to many people if spending well over 1000 bucks for a new setup. And if it bothers you then get the 8700k. Of all the shit to complain about, 75 bucks more for a better binned 8700k seems ridiculous.

The pricing is fine. It's a similar price to what people pay for a binned 8700K from SL. That does come with delidding, but this is less than some of the higher bins, tbh, and it wouldn't surprise me if this is a better deal in terms of binning quality than SL, since Intel probably doesn't care about margin on this tiny limited edition.

Like the 8086K might be on average a 5.1ghz 8700K bin which would run you 470 from SL. If it's BETTER than that, then it's actually a great deal.

Why do people care so much about the price?

Intel is supposedly only making 50k of these and giving away 8k of them. This proc is simply a special edition with nostalgia factor.

Nothing special about it but its price.

8700k is $350 and t
The pricing is fine. It's a similar price to what people pay for a binned 8700K from SL. That does come with delidding, but this is less than some of the higher bins, tbh, and it wouldn't surprise me if this is a better deal in terms of binning quality than SL, since Intel probably doesn't care about margin on this tiny limited edition.

Like the 8086K might be on average a 5.1ghz 8700K bin which would run you 470 from SL. If it's BETTER than that, then it's actually a great deal.

The 8086 is binned for a single core going 5 GHz. The Silicon Lottery 8700k processors are binned for all cores at 5 GHz. That's a big difference.

The 8086 is binned for a single core going 5 GHz. The Silicon Lottery 8700k processors are binned for all cores at 5 GHz. That's a big difference.
This is not an AMD CPU. If a single core on an Intel Desktop CPU does 5 out of the box then all available cores can do 5. Hell many motherboards will go ahead and have multi-core enhancement on by default so you are likely to get 5 gigahertz without even doing anything. There has never been a single Desktop Intel CPU that could not do the advertised single core Turbo speed across all available cores.

Huh? No, we don't know what its real binning is. They didn't ship a STOCK 5ghz all-core because of the thermal output and voltage requirements. We already know 86% of 8700Ks can do 5ghz and we also know this CPU is binned, so theres pretty much 0 chance that there are any 8086Ks that are worse than a 5ghz 8700K bin.

We'll see what the real quality of the 8086K is when SL finishes their binning of it.

This is not an AMD CPU. If a single core on an Intel Desktop CPU does 5 out of the box then all available cores can do 5. Hell many motherboards will go ahead and have multi-core enhancement on by default so you are likely to get 5 gigahertz without even doing anything. There has never been a single Desktop Intel CPU that could not do the advertised single core Turbo speed across all available cores.

You do not know what you are talking about. A single core at 5 GHz does not guarantee all cortes at 5 GHz,. That is how turbo works, It can boost a single core running to 5 GHz because the other cores are off and not using power and not generating heat. As soon as more cores are active, they in general would not be able to all do 5 GHZ simultaneously. There is no guarantee.

Huh? No, we don't know what its real binning is. They didn't ship a STOCK 5ghz all-core because of the thermal output and voltage requirements. We already know 86% of 8700Ks can do 5ghz and we also know this CPU is binned, so theres pretty much 0 chance that there are any 8086Ks that are worse than a 5ghz 8700K bin.

We'll see what the real quality of the 8086K is when SL finishes their binning of it.

There is no guarantee. 81% of 8700k processors can do all core at 5 GHz according to Silicon Lottery. If Intel is binning them, you could get that 19% that won't overclock all cores but only one at 5 GHz. It would be interesting to know what % of the 8700k chips can do one core at 5 GHz, It must be >> 81%, and if it is nearer to 100%, which I suspect, why pay more money for it over an 8700k?

You do not know what you are talking about. A single core at 5 GHz does not guarantee all cortes at 5 GHz,. That is how turbo works, It can boost a single core running to 5 GHz because the other cores are off and not using power and not generating heat. As soon as more cores are active, they in general would not be able to all do 5 GHZ simultaneously. There is no guarantee.

I hope you're kidding.

Absolutely not.
I know the single core turbo frequency doesn't technically guarantee that all cores could run that speed but the odds are it will on Intel CPUs. Again show me One desktop Intel CPU that cannot run at the advertised single-core turbo speed across all cores when overclocking. Again as I just mentioned earlier multicore enhancement is on by default for many boards so plenty of people are going to get 5 ghz on all 6 cores without even doing anything anyway.

There is no guarantee. 81% of 8700k processors can do all core at 5 GHz according to Silicon Lottery. If Intel is binning them, you could get that 19% that won't overclock all cores but only one at 5 GHz.

It's 86% not 81%. We don't know what binning Intel had to do to get single core to 5ghz, really, because we don't know the range of voltages they are configured to operate at stock. Obviously they had to do SOME since otherwise the 8700K would have a 5ghz turbo and it doesn't. Again, Intel's standards for stock and our standards for overclocking are different. Intel needs a better chip than the average 8700K to set stock turbo to 5ghz because they want the CPUs to run normally with normal heatsinks. It's still a consumer product.

There is nothing normal about the heat output and voltage requirements of even a nicely binned 8700K running at 5ghz all core turbo, especially without delidding, so even if it is binned such that it can do 5.2 or 5.3ghz with SL-level voltages, Intel would never ever enable that for stock CPUs, it would be crazy.

Back