llok to upgrade from 560ti

antok86

[H]F Junkie
looking to upgrade my 560ti to maybe a 970. would this be the best for my bang as far as upgrading without spending too much?

to a point yes. Most have no issues with them performing great. But I gather from the age of the card you have now you may want to consider the 3.5Gb+.5Gb memory issue. At 1080p it isn't likely ever gonna be an issue, but I always look for that extra that will make it stronger and last longer whether I need it or not.

Hopefully some actual users will come and ease any concerns for you with their experience. Outside of that it is a great purchase.

AMD 290x is being sold for incredibly cheap (because AMD will soon release a new 3xx serie next summer) in some places currently and it is more or less on par with 970. In some games its a Geforce Titan killer. Plus as a bonus it really has 4gb of VRAM instead of the 3.5gb actual VRAM + 0.5gb uberslow bullshit cache 970 is pulling. A lot of VRAM is a good thing nowadays because current games are quite memory hungry when maxed out.

looking to upgrade my 560ti to maybe a 970. would this be the best for my bang as far as upgrading without spending too much?

You could try the FS forum after Titan X hits tomorrow. A 960 would be about 50% faster, 970 more than twice as fast (+120%).

You could try the FS forum after Titan X hits tomorrow. A 960 would be about 50% faster, 970 more than twice as fast (+120%).

That is also a good idea. Since new cards are being released from both Nvidia and bit later AMD people will sell their old ones for really cheap. I am hanging out for the release of AMD 3xx and seeing if I can snatch a used 290X.

Thought I'd chime in here. I went from the GTX 560ti to a GTX 970. Couldn't be happier. Runs cooler and quieter than my 560ti. Went from 60 fps with all low settings in SoM to getting 80+ fps on Ultra settings. The time was right for me :)

AMD 290x is being sold for incredibly cheap (because AMD will soon release a new 3xx serie next summer) in some places currently and it is more or less on par with 970. In some games its a Geforce Titan killer. Plus as a bonus it really has 4gb of VRAM instead of the 3.5gb actual VRAM + 0.5gb uberslow bullshit cache 970 is pulling. A lot of VRAM is a good thing nowadays because current games are quite memory hungry when maxed out.

well said. Already the GTX 970 is showing its limitations due to the VRAM partition in games like Rome Total War Atilla at 1080p. this will get worse as games get even more demanding in 2015 and 2016.

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Total-War-Attila-PC-259548/Specials/Test-Benchmarks-1151602/

Get the R9 290X Tri-X

http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Version-PCI-Express-Graphics-11226-00-40G/dp/B00HJOKARI/

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Go with a 970. Sure a 290x is probably cheaper for the same performance but the 970 will run cooler and use a lot less power and offer you things like MFAA and DSR if that matters. For 1080p gaming you won't run into the vram issue either, not for a very long time at least. Heck I'm using two 970's for 4k gaming and even I haven't that many issues with them, but then again I've only been playing Dark Souls 2, Tomb Raider, MGS5, FFXIV, and other titles that don't actually go anywhere near 3.5gb vram even at 4k.

Also a former 560Ti owner here. Upgraded to a 960 and it's a huge improvement, and is an awesome card for its price. However, if you can afford a 970 I'd say go for that instead.

Back