Llano ultraportables?

cesium666

Supreme [H]ardness
Anyone know if there's going to be any llano APUs in 12-13" laptops? I've been looking for a replacement for my UL30VT, and I feel like llano would be the perfect replacement. Relatively low power consumption, solid CPU and GPU performance, good battery life.

I've searched around but didn't see anything, hoping I missed something though.

There was a hope in a Toshiba model, but that was merely a type from Anandtech :(

I've been looking, too. Right now, I have decided to settle on the Vaio SA/SB/SC/SD series :(
I get about 5 hours of batterylife from my sig model with batterycare enabled (basically limits battery charging to 80% max only).

Also, ASUS has a U31SD/U36SD SandyBridge refresh of your laptop. Also includes a faster GT520m with Optimus, too.

Current 35W mobile Llanos are not ideal for ultraportables. Most current ultraportables with a long battery life use 10W-17W processors.

Along with the lighter weight and smaller size, there is also reduced battery size. Without the battery sticking out of the bottom or back, you're looking at 4 cell max (35-45WHr). So you'll also have significantly shorter battery life compared to full size models.

It's possible to shoehorn a 35W processor into a 12.1" laptop. The results are a bit disappointing in the HP tx2500/Turion Ultra tablet PC I have. It runs hot. I like the small size and 4lb weight, but the heat generated is a definite disadvantage.

Wait for cut down spec mobile Llano models which use less power, or for GF's 32nm process to improve.

Current 35W mobile Llanos are not ideal for ultraportables. Most current ultraportables with a long battery life use 10W-17W processors.

Along with the lighter weight and smaller size, there is also reduced battery size. Without the battery sticking out of the bottom or back, you're looking at 4 cell max (35-45WHr). So you'll also have significantly shorter battery life compared to full size models.

It's possible to shoehorn a 35W processor into a 12.1" laptop. The results are a bit disappointing in the HP tx2500/Turion Ultra tablet PC I have. It runs hot. I like the small size and 4lb weight, but the heat generated is a definite disadvantage.

Wait for cut down spec mobile Llano models which use less power, or for GF's 32nm process to improve.

I find no problem with my Sony Vaio SC :D Once most of the Sony crap is removed, the system runs cool, and quiet :) Admittedly 13.3" and limited to only 5+ hours (from 80%-->15%) battery life, but that's fine with me :)*

*my actual usage, with the charging limiter enabled.

Back