Livestream is live! Really live!

They didn't give performance details on the Hawaii reveal, and that was a very stout chip at release. So I wouldn't take the lack of benchmarks as a sign that the chip has performance issues. I'm waiting for the 24th, then will probably pick up a new GPU depending on how everything shakes out :)

pretty much this.. releasing actual numbers during a product release can either be good or completely hurt you. when you see actual benchmark numbers show up in a product release thats when you should really be worried the cards going to be a flop because you know those numbers are all cherry picked. which has been the case on both sides when they've released benchmark numbers during a product release, nvidia 400 series, AMD 5000 series both come to mind for me.

Did I just hear Huddy call the rebrands "next gen?"

They're not rebrands.

The AMD Caribbean Islands Family: Not Just a Rebrand
While AMD’s Fury X provides a halo for the Radeon brand, AMD still has other new
graphics cards in the Radeon 300 series including the following air cooled cards:
 R9 390 & R9 390X each with 8GB of GDDR5 and 275W for 4K gaming
 R9 380 2 or 4GB of GDDR5 and 190W for 1440p gaming
 R7 370 up to 4GB of GDDR5 and 110W for everyday gaming
 R7 360 up to 2GB of GDDR5 and 100W for everyday gaming

AMD has been hard at work over the past year-and-a-half optimizing and re-architecting
the microcontrollers within the ASICs themselves. Combined with the improvements to
their manufacturing process, AMD has been able to squeeze more performance out of
each of their cards and increase performance while maintaining the same price tier as
its predecessor.

http://www.moorinsightsstrategy.com/research-brief-amd-brings-new-value-to-radeon-2/

AMD needs to put up or shut up. This is all hype and no actual benchmarks, which is suspicious given AMD's history. And everything except the Fury cards is just going to be a rebadge. I would bet money that they basically just managed to match a vanilla 980...almost a year later and with absurdly expensive memory.

As I said, hiding performance numbers is NOT a good sign of things to come

If this was being released in a week (which is hwat I thought prior to now), I'd agree, but when it's coming out near the end of July, they probably have plenty of driver work left. They don't want to overplay their hand, nor do they want to base it on early drivers.

If you need a really fast card now, you buy Nvidia. I'm not sure I'm in the market for a card like this (certainly not before I build a Skylake system), but if I was, I'd wait a month. All that happens between now and then is prices drop.

If I'm dropping 600-700 bucks on a card, it better be the best one in that price range.

AMD needs to put up or shut up. This is all hype and no actual benchmarks, which is suspicious given AMD's history. And everything except the Fury cards is just going to be a rebadge. I would bet money that they basically just managed to match a vanilla 980...almost a year later and with absurdly expensive memory.

You serious about this? I'll take you up on that offer. $100. You Nvidia fanboys are the best at throwing money away so $100 shouldn't be a problem.

If the Fury X is slower or equal to a regular 980, I'll send $100 your way. I prefer Venmo but I can do Paypal/Google Wallet if you want.

Like I said earlier, people jumping to conclusions about the performance without seeing numbers.

I am fairly certain that they would not have claimed to have the fastest video card in the world without knowing for sure.

Just like when they released the R9 295X2 claiming it was the fastest video card in the world, when it was at the time.

(Also cmdrmonkey if you do not take the bet you should delete your account.)

You serious about this? I'll take you up on that offer. $100. You Nvidia fanboys are the best at throwing money away so $100 shouldn't be a problem.

If the Fury X is slower or equal to a regular 980, I'll send $100 your way. I prefer Venmo but I can do Paypal/Google Wallet if you want.

He won't accept, just a fanboy flapping his lips. :D

He was using hyperbole, let's cut him some slack. And he never mentioned an amount. ;)

I'm used to people betting their rep. For example, I'd say, "feel free to look back at this post, and point and laugh, if I'm wrong". To me those are high enough stakes. The laughter, it burns. :)

That's probably a safe bet for you considering the Fury X is a card that will cost almost 25% more than a 980 GTX. You'd really want to compare the base Fury to a 980 and a Fury X to a 980 Ti

Someone refresh my memory, but I don't think AMD has ever released a card that cost on par with nvidia and performs worse.

So maybe, just maybe, Fury might be it.

Interesting how AMD able to hold up all these before the announcement.

I was about to pull the trigger to replace my Titan with the X, but now I am more interested with Fury X.

I hope the NDA expires soon.......I was hoping it would as soon as the announcement was made.

That's probably a safe bet for you considering the Fury X is a card that will cost almost 25% more than a 980 GTX. You'd really want to compare the base Fury to a 980 and a Fury X to a 980 Ti

Hence why I called him out; he thinks "they" cannot muster anything except a mere 980 in terms of flagship performance.

I'm still waiting for his response. I'm ready to take pictures of the whole transaction... I wonder if this can be added to my heatware if I lose?

A friend working at NASA says she'd like to investigate the skulls of some of you green team zealots, because never ever has such dense material been seen before. Holy shit.

Someone refresh my memory, but I don't think AMD has ever released a card that cost on par with nvidia and performs worse.

So maybe, just maybe, Fury might be it.

It will run all Mantle games faster then Nvidia using Mantle ;)

Ever heard of ATI? They were a graphics company before AMD purchased them and they were solely responsible for the 2900XT. AMD cleaned up the design and went on to release the 4870 which was an awesome card all around.

If you guys expected performance numbers you clearly haven't watched one of these before. They're never going to give you benchmarks on a product reveal, at least not like what you'll see in reviews.
Generally marketing makes a weird looking bar graph or something to make everything look like it's soo much faster:D

§kynet;1041670145 said:
Ever heard of ATI? They were a graphics company before AMD purchased them and they were solely responsible for the 2900XT. AMD cleaned up the design and went on to release the 4870 which was an awesome card all around.

Sure have heard of them, Tomato Tomato.

But you're right, I totally blanked on the whole acquisition aspect of it all.

Safe bet or not is beside the point. He made a challenge and he's being called on it.

I like how they alluded to it being in the next CPUs.
Zen might just kick some ass.

I hope this isn't a flop. AMD and Nvidia sparring back and forth is good for innovation and our wallets. Iron sharpens iron.

Oh please bring back the Athlon days of old. I7's are great, but its getting bland! Gimme some of that underdog love =)

I like how they alluded to it being in the next CPUs.
Zen might just kick some ass.

I think Zen will be highend and require a DGPU. But it is those lowly APU's that will get a big boost. A $200-250 APU that blows the doors of Console level GFX would be huge. It will also make an unbeatable entry/mid level Steam Box. :)

And I was running the original Geforce at 90 Mhz with 64 mb of ram and thought that was good enough :)

A cocky AMD, that a something we have not seen in a while.. basically since Hammer I think. Hmmm.. I join the chorus.. benchies, benchies!!!

oh ye of little faith, of course AMD will deliver. all they ask is that you believe. c'mon, say it with me now, I BELIEVE.

aint need no benchies, because I BELIEVE
aint need no technological mumbo jumbo, because I BELIEVE
aint need no modern games running at 4k, because I BELIEVE

for lo, AMD works in mysterious ways, and it is good.

I'm more excited about the next gen. 12-14nm with HBM memory? That sounds like it could blow the current gen out of the water. We've been stuck on 28nm so long.

The fury cards are released on July 14 and June 24, but how long till the drivers for those cards are released? Christmas 2016?

Back