live streaming video server suggestions?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Thuleman, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Thuleman

Thuleman [H]ardness Supreme

Does anyone have experience with live streaming video servers? What I would like to do is that a live broadcast that originates from Quicktime Broadcaster, pipe it through a video encoder and format agnostic server, and offer it up to clients.

Wowza Media Server (@wowzamedia.com) seems to do that but the $65/month they want for it is a bit steep for the 2-3 hours per month that I need this to work. I do need a version that more than 10 clients can connect to.

Generally speaking paying for a server product isn't the issue if it's a one-off price, the subscription based approach isn't going to work though.

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated, I can host on Windows or LInux, MacOS Server isn't an option.

2. valve1138

valve1138 [H]ardForum Junkie

Is this a commercial thing for a business?

There's places like Ustream and Qik that can do it for nothing.

3. Thuleman

Thuleman [H]ardness Supreme

Higher education, will check out the two you mentioned, that would perhaps be the easiest way to just outsource it. Thanks for the info.

4. DeChache

DeChache The ONE - Your Ignorance Annoys Me

Helix Media servers is what I use. Will stream just about any format under the sun with the coming version. Windows Media Services works good to if you have a windows infrastructure in place.

Half my job is running the multimedia servers

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  5. Captain Colonoscopy

Captain Colonoscopy 2[H]4U

Have you checked out Windows Media Streaming? It's a windows component you can install from add/remove programs. I played around with it on server 2003 a few years back and got it working for a client and then never messed with it again. Seemed to do the trick for what they wanted. If you already have a windows environment I say that would be a good place to start at least.