LIVE Nvidia press conference from CES now

I don't see how they will perfect it when its perfect already..

maybe 3D-Finity..

it was a joke, but they might. I heard eyefinity doesnt work with xfire and nvidia will prolly make it work, plus 3D :)

Eyefinity with 3d, sounds pretty cool. Stuff coming at the side of you vision could be intense.

Eyefinity with 3d, sounds pretty cool. Stuff coming at the side of you vision could be intense.

I want to see it work and work great. I personally hate wearing those damn glasses though. Looks like I will be doing more of it though.

My only question/concern is the power required to run 3 screens at 120hz with 3d vision will require at least 2 gf100/104's in sli no? I mean we don't know yet for sure but I can't imagine myself running say 3 24/26" screens at 1920 x 1200 at 120hz and getting playable fps with all the eyecandy on with anything less. We'll see soon enough.

My only question/concern is the power required to run 3 screens at 120hz with 3d vision will require at least 2 gf100/104's in sli no? I mean we don't know yet for sure but I can't imagine myself running say 3 24/26" screens at 1920 x 1200 at 120hz and getting playable fps with all the eyecandy on with anything less. We'll see soon enough.

Don't worry that won't be a problem, there are no 120Hz 1920x1200 screens. There is supposed to be one 1080p 120 Hz monitor from Acer on the way but it's TN and a 120Hz 30"er would probably require more bandwidth than dual link DVI can put out.

Keep in mind, 3D vision requires 120hz and basically twice the power as the frame rates get halved.

Nvidia claimed a different SLI mode. Will be interesting to see if the performance is there pushing 3 monitors in 3D.

Yeah I kinda forgot about that actually. I wonder if their new way of doing SLI will give better returns when pushing 3d vision.

I forgot about that too and supposedly it's a much better method which scales alot better than we've seen yet. At least that's the rumor.

I asked ChrisRay if he could say anything about the SLI mode change. He's under NDA and will have to see just what he can legally say. He said the 12th, he'd know how his NDA has changed and just what he can share.

I want to know pricing. Specifically pricing for GF100 and GF104. If in fact GF100 is a single GPU solution and 104 is dual GPU ala gx2 or co op. Then I would imagine the gx2 style card will be 2 gf100's downclocked slightly for power/heat issues. My guess is gx2 style card $600 ish and gf100 single gpu style 400ish? I don;t know just taking guesses as to what they have done in the past. We'll see.

Last edited:
I want to know pricing. Specifically pricing for GF100 and GF104. If in fact GF100 is a single GPU solution and 104 is dual GPU ala gx2 or co op. Then I would imagine the gx2 style card will be 2 gf100's downclocked slightly for power/heat issues. My guess is gx2 style card $600 ish and gf100 single gpu style 400ish? I don;t know just taking guesses as to what they have done in the past. We'll see.

Releasing pricing at this point would be a bad idea probably. Hopefully thanks to the coop card we won't see anymore sandwich cards from nvidia.

it'll come sooner or later. Right now, it's probably somewhat of a bandwidth issue (I would assume)

I am thinking now is NOT the best time to get a 5970 ? I was all gun ho to buy one in November, but the more I hear about nFinity and nVidia's will be offering their own multiple monitor tech on a single new card for the GTX-380 or what ever it will be called.

The new nVidia stuff is supposed to be on sale sometime in March supposedly, and rumors point to at least some form of early announcements of the tech much earlier than that, possibly hearing what these cards will offer sometime this month.

Just hate to see someone blow $600+ :eek: on a brand new 5970, then come March nVidia has a card with the similar tech and is like 25% faster, and cheaper.

I am not against the 5970 in any way, I have the 5870 and love it, and would love to own a 5970 even more, but not for the current online prices of $700 :rolleyes: And then to blow that wad of cash on something that is out dated fairly soon, not in like 6 months times, but something just 6 +weeks out.

Opinions ?

Just hate to see someone blow $600+ :eek: on a brand new 5970, then come March nVidia has a card with the similar tech and is like 25% faster, and cheaper.
How much money is the enjoyment of owning a 5970 for three months worth to you? If the amount of enjoyment is worth more than the estimated 3-month depreciation of 5970, buy it now. If not, wait.

I would buy 2 5870's in CFx before I would buy a slightly gimped 5970, but that's me.

perfect it lol only thing they can do is to rename it and sell like there own idea by adding there ultra lame 3d glasses that no one cared before :eek:

Says you. Some people like the idea and will buy it. Hell I might give triple screen gaming a go later on this year once 120hz monitor prices and selections flesh out a bit.

This is like arguing about who invented multi-GPU gaming (3dfx SLI). Should people call CF lame because it's a rip-off? Who cares who invented shit, I hope all companies adopt the best features from their competitors.

This is like arguing about who invented multi-GPU gaming (3dfx SLI). Should people call CF lame because it's a rip-off? Who cares who invented shit, I hope all companies adopt the best features from their competitors.

Agreed. People take their electronics too seriously some times :D

+1
I wish they all try to copy and improve the competitions stuff.
If ATI would finally join the 3D era I would have another choice when looking for a video card but there is no freakin way I am going to flatland gaming after 3d. lol
Come on ATI get your act together now!

This right here I agree with. Thank you for some common sense finally. I salute you brother. :D

The side monitors will prolly not have any working 3d effects. No monsters jumping out at you in your peripheral vision. They might be displayed in 3D, but you prolly will not see them in 3D. Unless you are looking at that monitor with both eyes, through the special glasses, there will be no 3d effect. The way I assume most people will be looking at these triple monitor setups, the side monitors in these setups will primarily be in view of only one eye at a time. This would leave the center monitor as the only one that Nv could have displaying in 3D where you could actually see it. Additionally, your peripheral vision will not have the glasses covering them unless they remake the glasses in a wrap around style.

It could work depending on monitor placement, but expect it to be even more problematic than it already is with just one monitor.

i think that is why at CES nvidia demoed the 3d multimonitor with 3 projectors on a flat surface. instead of hte monitors being "curved" around you the idea was just to increase the monitor resolution in on a flat plane. other wise the "3d" wont'

I think it's pretty unlikely NVIDIA's offering is going to be cheaper and faster than the 5970. It may be one or the other or it may potentially be neither.

Matrox invented "eyefinity."
Matrox wasn't as good at marketing as AMD, apparently.

The side monitors will prolly not have any working 3d effects. No monsters jumping out at you in your peripheral vision. They might be displayed in 3D, but you prolly will not see them in 3D. Unless you are looking at that monitor with both eyes, through the special glasses, there will be no 3d effect. The way I assume most people will be looking at these triple monitor setups, the side monitors in these setups will primarily be in view of only one eye at a time. This would leave the center monitor as the only one that Nv could have displaying in 3D where you could actually see it. Additionally, your peripheral vision will not have the glasses covering them unless they remake the glasses in a wrap around style.

It could work depending on monitor placement, but expect it to be even more problematic than it already is with just one monitor.

ya know, that's a really good point.

not only wouldn't you see any "monsters" on the sides, but you'd see a ghosted image out of your peripheral vision.

This doesnt seem like a great idea unless nvidia is able to use some sort of headtracking with the glasses (which might be possible... I dont know). It would, no doubt, make it more efficient as well since it wouldn't have to rendering everything twice, only what you're looking at.

I am thinking now is NOT the best time to get a 5970 ? I was all gun ho to buy one in November, but the more I hear about nFinity and nVidia's will be offering their own multiple monitor tech on a single new card for the GTX-380 or what ever it will be called.

The new nVidia stuff is supposed to be on sale sometime in March supposedly, and rumors point to at least some form of early announcements of the tech much earlier than that, possibly hearing what these cards will offer sometime this month.

I am not against the 5970 in any way, I have the 5870 and love it, and would love to own a 5970 even more, but not for the current online prices of $700 :rolleyes: And then to blow that wad of cash on something that is out dated fairly soon, not in like 6 months times, but something just 6 +weeks out.

Opinions ?

lol!
don't you know how buying PC hardware works?
no matter when you decide to purchase it.. its going to be the worst possible time ;)

Are you upset by the a-pillars on your car when you drive too? Same thing.

Actually, yes... I am upset by those silly steel bars that save my life every day. It ruins the scenery... But bezels do relatively little for my safety and well being - so I'll be upset about those all I like.

+1
I wish they all try to copy and improve the competitions stuff.
If ATI would finally join the 3D era I would have another choice when looking for a video card but there is no freakin way I am going to flatland gaming after 3d. lol
Come on ATI get your act together now!

You're kidding, right? You've had the option to run 3D on ATI cards for years:
http://www.iz3d.com/products

Works in Eyefinity too.

You're kidding, right? You've had the option to run 3D on ATI cards for years:
http://www.iz3d.com/products

Works in Eyefinity too.

actually, I don't think it would work with eyefinity unless you were running crossfire (possibly in a 3 card configuration) and the dirvers officially support it.

the reason being that the iz3d monitors, since they're polarized, require two DVI connections to each display (one for the left eye and one for the right eye). That was the biggest turnoff for me when I was looking to purchase one. To run dual monitors, you needed a second video card. :\

So unless you had at least 2 (possibly 3) video cards and the drivers knew what you were trying to do, I honestly don't think it would work.

Back