Live Blogging Microsoft's Mystery Event

This is a HUGE design win for nvidia
I expected a new SOC based on A15 instead of tegra3, although there are rumors that the final version might be based on tegra4.

I am surprised at the lack of details. Yes, MS is releasing a tablet. Big woop.
HP released a tablet once.

This is a definate fail for MS. It will be too expensive and everyone who would spend that kind of money on something like this has already chosen sides. MS is entering the tablet game when both iOS and Android are mature and loaded with APP content.

I will add that it wont make a shits difference if it is 100 times better than what is already available. HD-DVD, Windows phones, zune, all failures. Even if they were better than some of the alternatives at the time.

That being said, I would have like more complete specifications. MS should have used their efforts to mature the XBOX platform and make it truely next gen.

This is a waste of time and money for them and noone really gives a fuck.

This is a definate fail for MS. It will be too expensive and everyone who would spend that kind of money on something like this has already chosen sides. MS is entering the tablet game when both iOS and Android are mature and loaded with APP content.

I will add that it wont make a shits difference if it is 100 times better than what is already available. HD-DVD, Windows phones, zune, all failures. Even if they were better than some of the alternatives at the time.

That being said, I would have like more complete specifications. MS should have used their efforts to mature the XBOX platform and make it truely next gen.

I think we all can basically agree that Windows 8 is meant for a tablet, well here is that tablet. This is a flagship device, much like how Google releases their own handheld.

I think this thing has a lot of features people would want. I'm cetainly interested in a windows powered, x86 1080p tablet with detachable keyboard, USB 3, etc.

I'm liking the x86 Windows8 Surface version.

The ARM Windows RT version is just as meh and uninteresting as the iPad (but at least Apple will have some more competition)

The fact that you can have it be a "web and email appliance" like the ipad, when you want it to be, and then when you have some real work to do, or real software to run, you just attach the ultra thin keyboard and viola, it's a goddamn laptop able to run full desktop software.. This is what tablets should have been from day one.

Now all I need to do is to wait for one of these to come out with a powerful enough GPU to run Civilization 5, and I will be happy.

It's not going to happen with the Ivy Bridge models, but if someone makes a good one with a decent Trinity APU that isn't too thick, I'll be all over that thing.

Of the currently announced trinity APU's I think it would have to be at minimum the A10-4655M, in order for the GPU to be fast enough, but with a 25W TDP, it may have to be too thick. Unfortunately most will likely design around the 17W A6-4455M, but its GPU is too wimpy.

I wish there were a trinity APU with the two core, low clocked CPU portion of the A6-4455M, but with the GPU portion from the A10-4600M. It could probably even wind up with a 25W TDP like the A10-4655M, but be perfect for my purposes...

For the ARM version (Windows RT Surface, or whatever they are calling it) I would agree.

It is entering a space where there are already tons of iOS/Android competitors and it will be an uphill struggle.

The x86 Windows 8 Pro version however is fucking revolutionary IMHO.

Finally tablets will be able to do what I have insisted that they be able to do from the very beginning, which is run a full desktop capable OS, and run all the software you'd want to run on a desktop.

You can now have your cake and eat it too.

Just need to browse the web or check email, fine, run it in "internet appliance" tablet mode, and it will do pretty much anything an iPad does. Need more? Need photoshop, MS office maybe even some light games? attach the ultra-think keyboard, and you have a real goddamn laptop.

IMHO, this completely and totally blows anything Apple or any manufacturer using Android has made to date out of the water. They are not even on the same playing field. Android tablets and iPads are stupid Internet appliance toys in comparison, and this is a full fledged computer. I think these will make a huge splash.

DO WANT! Though I doubt I could afford one.

The Pro version will be expensive; I'd say ~$1100-1200 for the slimmed down version if you compare the Slate prices when they were first released. The 128GB version will probably be closer to $1300-1500. This has slightly better hardware: better screen, flopdown keyboard thing and 1080p resolution.

The winRT version makes absolutely no damn sense whatsoever. It's running on ARM which means great battery life but why would you buy a Windows OS for ARM when you can't run any legacy apps whatsoever? MS is giving the RT versions the option of using Office via the cloud and only the Student Office edition at that. Meaning you're getting a barebones MS Office with access limited to your internet connection availability. So you're stuck paying for a tablet that has worse resolution than competing tablets in the same price range, a far worse choice of applications and your left with Windows without legacy/x86 support.

Like I said before, this thing makes absolutely no sense to me. If you want an ultrabook then buy an ultrabook. If you want a tablet then buy a tablet. If you want to pay $1300 for a tablet then you'll get more productivity and better battery life and specs out of an ultrabook.

Do not want.

With an ipad3 64gb wifi+3g being around $840. I am definitely considering holding out for for a 64gb Windows RT tablet.

I mean the x86 will be awesome, but i dont need the pro version of W8 on my tablet, nor do I need IT Mgt. With the USB port I can just use my USB aircard for 3g service.

Zarathustra[H];1038849964 said:
The x86 Windows 8 Pro version however is fucking revolutionary IMHO.

Finally tablets will be able to do what I have insisted that they be able to do from the very beginning, which is run a full desktop capable OS, and run all the software you'd want to run on a desktop.

Hardly revolutionary, at best it is minor evolution.

You could get a 2lb/i5 CPU tablet last year from Samsung (Series 7 slate).

Put Win8 on it and you have essentially the same thing what it will take Microsoft until 2013 to deliver.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Holy crap. That is so upside down it isn't funny.

Microsoft used the inside track on Windows 3.0 to leave Lotus in the dust. And just when Lotus, Wordperfect, etc. just about caught up they went from 3.0 to 3.1 cherry picking which undocumented functions stayed and which ones went away. And patching those days was a difficult affair. That totally hosed what was left of those companies.

It would be safer to say that the post-Bill Gates Microsoft has been unable to market themselves out of a bag. Hard to see how they will do against the post-Jobs Apple (with the marketshare) and Android (with low costs). Those seem to be the usual weapons of the old MS.

It would be safer to say that the post-Bill Gates Microsoft has been unable to market themselves out of a bag. Hard to see how they will do against the post-Jobs Apple (with the marketshare) and Android (with low costs). Those seem to be the usual weapons of the old MS.

Actually you've hit upon what I've long said was Apple's main advantage while Steve Jobs was in charge and that is marketing. Steve was an old fashion snake oil salesman that was able to convince people that an iphone was a must have fashion accessory.

Put Win8 on it and you have essentially the same thing what it will take Microsoft until 2013 to deliver.

Interesting. I never came across these.

In fact I haven't seen an x86 tablet on the market since those failed flip around screen things from ~2002 back when they were calling them "tablet PC's"

That slate is essentially the same as this Pro version spec wise.

The Pro has a couple of bonus points in using an i5 IB ULV and a 1080p screen but that adds to cost as well. The Slate tablets also started at $1100 so I'm expecting these Pro Win9 versions to go for $1200+

Zarathustra[H];1038850363 said:

In fact I haven't seen an x86 tablet on the market since those failed flip around screen things from ~2002 back when they were calling them "tablet PC's"
Yep, I've had one since the end of last year. I't been running windows 8 for a couple months now. GREAT device. Win8 really works well on a tablet. Battery life is around 5 hours. Newer tech should go longer. However, the build quality isn't great. With a plastic backside I keep it in a sturdy, but bulky, case. The new MS tab looks great because it won't have a case adding to the bulk.

While not revolutionary it is historic. This is the very first x86 Windows PC that ever had the Microsoft brand. Millions of people are now aware of something that they never knew anything about even though devices like it have for many years. One of the huge problems with Windows tablets was that so few people even know about them. Those days have passed.

And while the S7S is one of the best x86 tablets ever made and overall I've been pleased with mine running Windows 8, the Surface Pro at least on paper and from what I've seen blow the S7S away. One big deficiency in the S7S was the lack of an integrated hybrid design, though Samsung will launch the Series 7 Hybrid with Windows 8 that has a folding keyboard dock.

And this only demonstrates my point about the complete lack of consumer awareness of Windows tablets. The S7s is one of the best x86 tablets ever made and no one ever heard of it. That's not going to be the case with the Surface Pro.

And actually those flip around convertibles didn't fail, at least not in the sense that several OEMs still make them to this day and with Windows 8 I'm pretty sure that they will still be in the market as Windows 8 VASTLY improves these devices. I'm running Windows 8 on my convertible Lenovo x220t tablet and it's just so much better than Windows 7 on a device like a convertible.

Oh my ... i was on the market for a tablet for my job.... i was looking at some android device...

f that. I want a surface now. I wont be the only one.

And actually those flip around convertibles didn't fail, at least not in the sense that several OEMs still make them to this day and with Windows 8 I'm pretty sure that they will still be in the market as Windows 8 VASTLY improves these devices. I'm running Windows 8 on my convertible Lenovo x220t tablet and it's just so much better than Windows 7 on a device like a convertible.

Well, they never broke through back then like people were expecting, primarily because XP wasn't well suited to tablets and touch screens.

I remember the early Windows touch screen systems where the touch screens were simply set up as a mouse replacement, so you had to try to drag the mouse pointer around by touch the screen with your finger, which was awful...

While not revolutionary it is historic. This is the very first x86 Windows PC that ever had the Microsoft brand. Millions of people are now aware of something that they never knew anything about even though devices like it have for many years. One of the huge problems with Windows tablets was that so few people even know about them. Those days have passed.

I don't think that has changed. They are still a long way from people knowing or caring or buying them over the already established ipads and android devices.

The historic moment will be when you can walk into a shop or open a brochure and see more Windows tablet marketing around than ipad marketing which in turn results in significant sales.

MS are still late to the party, and in almost every facet of business being late to the party is never a good thing.

I don't think that has changed. They are still a long way from people knowing or caring or buying them over the already established ipads and android devices.

The historic moment will be when you can walk into a shop or open a brochure and see more Windows tablet marketing around than ipad marketing which in turn results in significant sales.

MS are still late to the party, and in almost every facet of business being late to the party is never a good thing.

These things were all over the news. you hardly see that with yet another Android tablet, somebody is interested. And the Surface Pro is definitely not late to the party. There's hardly been a sexier x86 design ever.

I just don't get it. A tablet offers me nothing that a laptop offers me and costs much more. Also this crap about weight is bunk. My kids and I carry laptops everywhere in a standard back pack. What is it that make any one fascinated with a more expensive less usable device?

I'm sorry. This tablet will fall faster than a pregnant woman pole vaulting.

Everyone wants what Apple has and no one id going to achieve it. Apple, as much as I detest the company, has a knack for taking a device that is already in the market, claiming they invented it and that it's the next coming. People eat it up and buy it. Never, ever will you ever get me to pay 1000 plus for a tablet that is not as powerful and has less screen real estate than a comparable 800 dollar laptop.

The only advantage is a touch screen and I can promise you this, I don't want a touch screen. I am too anal about it being dirty. I have my first ever smart phone, and Android based phone, and it will most likely be my last. I detest touch screens with a passion.

So I don't understand, but then again i don't understand why anyone would pay 35000 plus the charging station for an electric car when you can buy a nice compact that gets 40 MPH for half the price. I guess I am just too practical with my money.

I just don't get it. A tablet offers me nothing that a laptop offers me and costs much more. Also this crap about weight is bunk. My kids and I carry laptops everywhere in a standard back pack. What is it that make any one fascinated with a more expensive less usable device?

The problem is that your thinking a tablet will replace an Ultrabook/laptop/desktop....I can tell you this much from my experience with an iPad 2...no your stupid if you think you can do that with a tablet....

HOWEVER...a Tablet is great for reading e-books/magazines, reading forums, going on Facebook, watching TV/Movies, etc...all from the comfort of your couch, without having a decent sized laptop on your lap etc...

Tablets to me are good lightweight web devices, I wouldn't use it for serious data generation, like creating excel spreadsheets, writing papers, etc...but if you just want to look at something without straining your eyes on a smart phone...this is your solution...

These things were all over the news. you hardly see that with yet another Android tablet, somebody is interested. And the Surface Pro is definitely not late to the party. There's hardly been a sexier x86 design ever.

I haven't seen any mainstream advertising for it as of yet, though I admittedly don't watch a lot mainstream advertising :p I saw Microsoft and tablets mentioned on the business channel, but that's not really "mainstream advertising", you see quite a few tech announcements on them because it's kinda relevant to the business of publicly traded companies.

fryssurface.jpg

It's going to be hard to compete with cheap $%# laptops.

I'm sorry. This tablet will fall faster than a pregnant woman pole vaulting.

Everyone wants what Apple has and no one id going to achieve it. Apple, as much as I detest the company, has a knack for taking a device that is already in the market, claiming they invented it and that it's the next coming. People eat it up and buy it. Never, ever will you ever get me to pay 1000 plus for a tablet that is not as powerful and has less screen real estate than a comparable 800 dollar laptop.

The only advantage is a touch screen and I can promise you this, I don't want a touch screen. I am too anal about it being dirty. I have my first ever smart phone, and Android based phone, and it will most likely be my last. I detest touch screens with a passion.

So I don't understand, but then again i don't understand why anyone would pay 35000 plus the charging station for an electric car when you can buy a nice compact that gets 40 MPH for half the price. I guess I am just too practical with my money.

You are very reasonable but that does not mean a market does not exist. Ultrabooks and tablets are selling in large numbers. They are not going to replace cheaper and more powerful laptops. But the fact is there is a market for thin and light and people are willing to pay a premium for it. This device gives people a whole bunch of options to converge and streamline devices. It poses no threat to your typical notebooks that you will buy, and it poses no threat to powerful notebooks that a person like myself will buy.

2002? Seriously?

I picked up an HP Touchsmart TM2-2151nr just last year. It's a convertible laptop (screen spins around backwards and then folds flat) with the following specs:
- Dual-core Core i5.
- 4GB of DDR3.
- Switchable graphics (Intel integrated + Radeon HD 5450).
- 512mb dedicated video RAM
- 12.1" capacitive multitouch LCD screen.
- 1280x800 resolution.
- Integrated webcam.
- 500GB 7200 RPM hard disk.
- 6-cell battery with about 8 hours of battery life.
- Wacom digitizer and Wacom pen input with pressure sensitivity.
- multi-card-reader.

Came with Windows 7 Professional, currently have Windows 8 Release Preview on it and it runs fantastically. They never really stopped making machines like this, they just don't make as many of them as they do regular notebooks.

For reference, this laptop cost me $999 last year (though it did come with a free xbox 360, worth $200, to sweeten the deal).
The price on the very same TM2 model I have today? Down to $659

$659 and you get specs VERY similar to the "Surface Pro" tablet. Biggest difference is the thickness (Touchsmart TM2 has that attached keyboard), and screen resolution (the Surface Pro is guaranteed to be AT LEAST 1366x768, probably higher).

But still... $659 and you can get those specs today. If they launch the x86 version in January of next year, it's bound to be under $500. That's a very attractive pricetag.

I am interested in the pro...but it is going to be dependent upon battery life.

As a "tablet", I would be expecting iPad-like battery life, but I know that is likely not possible with the i5...but I would be hoping it could achieve at least 15 hours of use time.

However the price is going to be the main factor. If the pro version is $850, it would be an immediate buy for me. If the pricing is in the $1000-1200 range, I would probably think about it a while and maybe go with the ARM version instead, assuming the ARM is <$500 (since I would finally have a tablet capable of Office applications for my business use)...but again that will also be dependent upon the battery life and other specs. If the price for the pro is >$1200, I would probably pass on it entirely and just go with the ARM version.

Back