LiteOn Slim DVD-RW Open Box $7.05 shipped

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I love how we're in an age now where anyone selling something can just openly lie because truth is just accepted as always fuzzy and the sellers realize there's no penalty for just outright lying, I mean what are you going to do about it?

the 100s of these on ebay under $9 listed as pre-owned-refurbished clearly indicate that's what these really are but "open box" sounds so much better and clever marketing, because yup if it's used it's definitely "open box"

but I guess at $7 if you need one it's a good deal, assuming it lasts at least a year, thanks OP

Gotta dump them somehow.
I haven't seen a lappy with a optic for quite a while now....not even a slot to put one in.
Love how the image is a full 5.25 size drive and it says "image may not be actual".

I have a BlueRay r&w usb that hasn't seen light of day for years.

I bought one. Never know when you might need one. $7.47 out the door.

EDIT:
FYI...that picture is completely wrong in the listing. It is a notebook drive (slim), and there's no way to cancel the order from the website (I e-mailed them).

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106392

You can always throw it in a slim enclosure I suppose.
That's why I put the word slim in the title. :( I always check part numbers with any retailer as a lot of times the 'deals' are because they have them listed wrong in their system.

FWIW, these should work fine in any normal system, you just need the right cabling. In fact, a lot of oem cases actually use these drives now.

If you really don't want it, you should be able to call them and cancel on Monday. They probably won't process and ship the order until at least then anyways in my experience.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I love how we're in an age now where anyone selling something can just openly lie because truth is just accepted as always fuzzy and the sellers realize there's no penalty for just outright lying, I mean what are you going to do about it?

the 100s of these on ebay under $9 listed as pre-owned-refurbished clearly indicate that's what these really are but "open box" sounds so much better and clever marketing, because yup if it's used it's definitely "open box"

but I guess at $7 if you need one it's a good deal, assuming it lasts at least a year, thanks OP
I don't think you're correct in this case as anyone who buys IT stuff regularly knows Provantage. They're a solid and reputable company that's built a reputation on being rock bottom on pricing, but with real and legit stuff and no funny games.

I've purchased several items from their open box in the past and all of it may have been opened, but it's definitely not used (maybe installed/tested), and does come with a full manufacturer's warranty unlike the used or refurbished limited warranties.

The stuff on ebay is generally part-outs from other hardware that may or may not have been tested and is pretty much as-is. These are units that were either purchased by a large company for upgrades and then they discovered they didn't do the job (maybe they needed bd drives and someone got the wrong ones), so back they went under the normal return policy. Because they were never 'sold', they are still considered 'new' by the manufacturer and will come will a full warranty, especially since Provantage is an authorized distributor.

Drives are such commodity items now that I'm surprised they last as long as they do. I still remember paying almost $1000/ea for top-of-the-line SCSI drives by Plextor and they didn't last as long as these things do today.

Gotta dump them somehow.
I haven't seen a lappy with a optic for quite a while now....not even a slot to put one in.
Love how the image is a full 5.25 size drive and it says "image may not be actual".

I have a BlueRay r&w usb that hasn't seen light of day for years.
Yeah, that's one of the reasons I think they ended up here--not as much demand. Provantage might have also just closed them out and put them in the 'open-box' section to get them moving as they may not be permitted by the manufacturer to list them as a normal drive at this price.

That's why I put the word slim in the title. :( I always check part numbers with any retailer as a lot of times the 'deals' are because they have them listed wrong in their system.

FWIW, these should work fine in any normal system, you just need the right cabling. In fact, a lot of oem cases actually use these drives now.

If you really don't want it, you should be able to call them and cancel on Monday. They probably won't process and ship the order until at least then anyways in my experience.

No worries. I'll just buy a slim enclosure.

No worries. I'll just buy a slim enclosure.

But after buying the drive and slim enclosure, you could have just bought a brand new complete external drive
for the same or less money.

I agree with vibe, they lied about what they are really selling to get them sold.

Either that or they just don't care about being accurate with describing what they are selling.
Same difference either way.

"Deal" is a rip-off.

But after buying the drive and slim enclosure, you could have just bought a brand new complete external drive

I agree with vibe, they lied about what they are really selling to get them sold.

Either that or they just don't care about being accurate with describing what they are selling.

"Deal" is a rip-off.

Last external I bought was ~$20. I've seen enclosure's around $11, so it's like a $2 difference. My fault for not googling the model number prior to purchase. I've already e-mailed them with a cancellation note. Hopefully, they process it prior to shipment.

I was contemplating buying one, because $7. But then I remembered. My T3500 has a dvd burner, my windows XP/ 7 vintage gamer ( optiplex 755 MT ) both my laptops have DVD burners, and I think I have ~ 3 more SATA 5.25" burners in storage, and I know I have an IDE one as well just for good measure

A $ 7 slim dvd burner with blueray read capability. OK then I'll bite

"Deal" is a rip-off.

Really? You didn't read it and do the research and hence it's a 'rip off'? Okay, then not for you. Next.

if you need warranty on this $7 drive, it would probably cost around the same or more to send it back. just buy another one.
In my experience, manufacturers don't ask for it back anymore and just send you a replacement.

I was contemplating buying one, because $7. But then I remembered. My T3500 has a dvd burner, my windows XP/ 7 vintage gamer ( optiplex 755 MT ) both my laptops have DVD burners, and I think I have ~ 3 more SATA 5.25" burners in storage, and I know I have an IDE one as well just for good measure

A $ 7 slim dvd burner with blueray read capability. OK then I'll bite
You've got enough spares for sure. :) But for those of us that don't, this fits the bill. ;)

Really? You didn't read it and do the research and hence it's a 'rip off'? Okay, then not for you. Next.

Yes. Really. Rip-off.

I should not have to "research" on whether or not the product is what the vendor says it is.

Why are you spamming the forum with so much of this company's garage sale clearance crap anyway?

Do you work for the company you are spamming this junk for?

Yes. Really. Rip-off.

I should not have to "research" on whether or not the product is what the vendor says it is.

Why are you spamming the forum with so much of this company's garage sale clearance crap anyway?

Do you work for the company you are spamming this junk for?

Boy--you're lazy and need to pay msrp. :rolleyes: Vendors make mistakes or don't have something listed perfectly, and the smart people take advantage of this by doing some quick searches and saving some dough. If you don't want to, then don't. No one is forcing you to read this thread or do your homework.

I happen to like searching for deals--it calms me. And I can't take advantage of all the deals I find, so I share them. (y) If a particular deal doesn't work for you, that's okay, but no reason to thread-crap when there's quite a few people who do find a particular deal interesting. I have no affiliation with the company other than I've been a customer for a decade or so and know where to look for deals on their site.

No dice on cancellation...no worries. I'm sure I can put it to use for $7.

If only this was an external USB drive or something.

Actually, even mid tower HP EliteDesks seem to use these nowadays.

Thanks for this SamirD! Just built a new rig without an optical drive. I'm looking to harden it before subjecting Windows 10, 64-bit, Pro N to the Inter read: Danger webs. This will do the trick nicely!

Silver

Thanks for this SamirD! Just built a new rig without an optical drive. I'm looking to harden it before subjecting Windows 10, 64-bit, Pro N to the Inter read: Danger webs. This will do the trick nicely!

Silver
You're welcome! (y)

It processed and shipped before I could talk to anyone. I figured that would happen coming off the weekend.
Wow, I didn't know they would have processed it that quickly over the weekend. Something for me to keep in mind when I need something that week. (y)

They cancelled the order. They just never responded to my e-mail asking for it to be cancelled.

Just had to replace a drive and found these again. These are still in stock at this price. Nice little unit if you need one and can't pick on up locally.

I love that the model # is for a slim internal model, but the pic is for a fatty 5.25 one. But it doesn plainly say "Image may not be actual." LOLs

I love that the model # is for a slim internal model, but the pic is for a fatty 5.25 one. But it doesn plainly say "Image may not be actual." LOLs
Yeah, that's probably why they have a ton of these open box--no one checked the model number and went by the pic. :D Their loss, our gain! (y)

Thanks for posting. But aren't these things like 8-track taps at garage sales now? You can't give them away?

Very very occasionally I need to make a dvd or use a disc ... very weird circumstances however.

Those are very reliable notebook drives and for $7.50 they are a steal especially if you fix older hardware like I do

I just checked and these are still around. (y) Great price if you need a drive. Just research the model number to make sure it is what you need. :)

Back