LiteOn 1693 vs NEC 3540

Bullitt

2[H]4U
Quick question for those who have either model:

I'm putting together a shuttle and am on a tight budget. I don't _need_ the box, but its sitting there collecting dust and I might as well do _something_ with it. I want a burner but its got to be somewhat quiet.

I understand that I could use 3rd party apps to control the max read speed, but which one of the two, LiteOn 1693 vs NEC 3540 is the quieter of the two? I'm accustomed to the plextors and those are barely noticeable.

Ripping speed is also a consideration. I know NEC has some tremendous 3rd party firmware support, how is the LiteOn, or is it even a consideration?

A second consideration is CD burning speed. Any pro's con's with these two inexpensive models?

I've reccomended the NEC's to several friends and all are pleased with them, so I lean towards that model, but the plextor 740's are re-branded LiteOn's so I tend to lean towards that model.

Bullitt said:
Quick question for those who have either model:

I'm putting together a shuttle and am on a tight budget. I don't _need_ the box, but its sitting there collecting dust and I might as well do _something_ with it. I want a burner but its got to be somewhat quiet.

I understand that I could use 3rd party apps to control the max read speed, but which one of the two, LiteOn 1693 vs NEC 3540 is the quieter of the two? I'm accustomed to the plextors and those are barely noticeable.

Ripping speed is also a consideration. I know NEC has some tremendous 3rd party firmware support, how is the LiteOn, or is it even a consideration?

A second consideration is CD burning speed. Any pro's con's with these two inexpensive models?

I've reccomended the NEC's to several friends and all are pleased with them, so I lean towards that model, but the plextor 740's are re-branded LiteOn's so I tend to lean towards that model.
1) The Plex 740 is a rebadged Benq 1640, NOT a Lite-On.

2)NEC seems to be a bit quieter, not too much difference.

3)Get an NEC.. better DVD burn quality, same CD-R speeds..

TechHead said:
1) The Plex 740 is a rebadged Benq 1640, NOT a Lite-On.

2)NEC seems to be a bit quieter, not too much difference.

3)Get an NEC.. better DVD burn quality, same CD-R speeds..

Ahh my apologies. They pump crack into the ventilation systems at work ;)

NEC it is. I like the bezel better, matches my target machine.

Back