LiteCoin Causing Historic High Demand For AMD Radeon GPUs

In other news, AMD execs are going to have a very merry Christmas. Console APUs and GPU sales galore.

I'm looking forward to the cryp-coin crash and the market to get flooded with cheap GPUs :)

In other news, AMD execs are going to have a very merry Christmas. Console APUs and GPU sales galore.

I'm looking forward to the cryp-coin crash and the market to get flooded with cheap GPUs :)

Don't even need a crash, just need ASICS/FPGA's to come out and be cheap enough that people ditch GPU mining.

One example; a retailer who I won't single out cause they took time to explain the situation to me said they had a backorder of 50+ client queue on 280x cards alone, most with 3+ cards per order on average. All ordered within a couple hours.

Can't wait for the eventual outcome...in a couple months the market will be flooded with cheap high end AMD cards.

Only thing I'll say is AMD better not try and claim a high market share increase because of this. The cards are not being used for gaming.

Can't wait for the eventual outcome...in a couple months the market will be flooded with cheap high end AMD cards.

Yeah, miners get a very good ROI (yes, even at $400 for a 280x), AMD will probably have an awesome quarter, and gamers get cheaper cards later. Everyone wins!

Only thing I'll say is AMD better not try and claim a high market share increase because of this. The cards are not being used for gaming.

lol

You think it matters to AMD what the cards are being used for?

Units sold are units sold.

Gaming info only matters to the Steam community.

WHAT Prime1 said it was bad yields and the chips suck which caused the supply shortage!!!!

LOL

Gaming is only one target market for GPUs. GPU processing is a market, and nVidia GPUs are undesirable for this segment of it. The company who makes the Tesla cards targeted specifically at GPU processing completely missed a target market. It is something they are answering for in profits right now.

So your saying since the demand isnt gaming it shouldnt count? Seriously? Who the fuck cares how/why they sell.

If Nvidia had the cards that made people millionaires I bet you wouldn't be saying this.

Good points.

Well I just hope AMD puts the profits they get from this to good use.

If Nvidia had the cards that made people millionaires I bet you wouldn't be saying this.

I ran 3 290's in crossfire, I'm not a fanboy.

Good points.

Well I just hope AMD puts the profits they get from this to good use.

I ran 3 290's in crossfire, I'm not a fanboy.

Well then who cares if they get a high market share because of it. Competition is good, and if the demand is there, maybe they will take the money they make and get a better reference cooler.

Beside Nvidia 780/titan/780ti were all for cuda and computing. Nvidia released these cards for us after they milked it will Cad/Professional market.

Money is money no matter how its made.

I'd be very curious on how AMD are making out actually buying MORE Fab time with most other hardware manufacturers either flat or decreasing sales. Should be getting a good deal to boot I'd think.

AMD is now in all next gen consoles, Mantle will be released soon, and now this?

AMD is going to have a good year as well as the next

Bad timing. After years of buying exclusively Nvidia GPUs I'm ready to dump them and try AMD.

More people using AMD GPUs means that more games will be optimised for AMD.

The market is already flooded with cheap high end 2nd hand NVIDIA GPUs, so not only are people buying AMD cards but NVIDIA is losing sales as people are buying their cards 2nd hand.

People will likely not sell their cards even after litecoin ACICS come out, the people who kept their cards after bitcoin ASICS came out are the ones who made loads of litecoins, the people with big farms will keep their GPUs for whatever comes next.

^this

Once the bottom drops out of cryptocurrencies early next year there will be some nice deals on ebay for 280s and 290s.

Bad timing. After years of buying exclusively Nvidia GPUs I'm ready to dump them and try AMD.

I agree. I'm ready to make the switch but I can't buy anything.
Looks like I may have to get a few 680s to bridge the gap.

And Spazturtle made a great point, I'm not interested in buying Nv cards new because of the AMD shortage.
I'll just wait until they come back in stock. AMD is just better for my workstation.

Yeah, miners get a very good ROI (yes, even at $400 for a 280x), AMD will probably have an awesome quarter, and gamers get cheaper cards later. Everyone wins!

I wouldn't touch a miners used gpu, even at a significant discount. I would rather buy a card that hasn't been running overclocked and at 100% capacity for its entire existence.

I wouldn't touch a miners used gpu, even at a significant discount. I would rather buy a card that hasn't been running overclocked and at 100% capacity for its entire existence.

Hehehe, I wouldn't either. Just like buying used 5xxx series cards after the initial btc rush. But in reality my 5xxx cards are still working fine to this day. Just some grease for the fan & Tim replacement. I also undervolt them, but those cards were very well built. It has made me a firm proponent of AMD reference hardware.

But now with all the alt coins, I don't see much of a selloff in mining hardware anytime soon. There is some serious coin to be made. (pun intended)

...well, until the difficulty is ramped up. So maybe after one or two more bumps in difficulty?

One for the Gossip Goats...

BmgC7ds.jpg

AM3CMS9.jpg

Source
https://twitter.com/thenotablecalls
http://seekingalpha.com/currents/post/1456621?source=email_rt_mc_readmore
http://seekingalpha.com/p/1gynr
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=25465736#post25465736

Last edited:

Market share is market share regardless of what the product is used for.

Just because a work truck isn't used for work, doesn't mean it wasn't sold.

OK... this is a very serious and NOOB question... If I sell my 7970 and 7950 for let's say $800 total or even close to it -- do I turn around and get two 780's or two $150 cards and a XBone? I really don't PC game much, and my two computers are 1080p for the foreseeable future anywhoo.

yeah bitcoin/litecoin hurts cards - ran 5970's for a year and fan bearings where shot - also 5830's fans all seized up - in less than a year - funny thing is they where all under warranty still and where replaced. Running 100% overclocked i would not ever touch a mined GPU - problem is that there is no easy way to tell. Distrust would be built into second hand pricing i guess.

Demand is not equal. AMD's market share is in desktop graphics. Like Bitcoin, the ASIC vendors will come out with a Litecoin appliance and demand from coin miners will drop off the cliff. That will leave retailers with overstock of graphics cards that nobody wants because the gamers all went with NVidia cards.

Demand is not equal. AMD's market share is in desktop graphics. Like Bitcoin, the ASIC vendors will come out with a Litecoin appliance and demand from coin miners will drop off the cliff. That will leave retailers with overstock of graphics cards that nobody wants because the gamers all went with NVidia cards.

LOL...

suddenly a glut of cheap, used cards on the market... hmmm, should drive down the costs of retail AMD parts as well, no? which in turn will drive down the costs of Nvidia cards perhaps?

yeah bitcoin/litecoin hurts cards - ran 5970's for a year and fan bearings where shot - also 5830's fans all seized up - in less than a year - funny thing is they where all under warranty still and where replaced. Running 100% overclocked i would not ever touch a mined GPU - problem is that there is no easy way to tell. Distrust would be built into second hand pricing i guess.

Litecoin isn't Bitcoin in regards to what it likes.

Litecoin likes bandwidth, lots of it, for example on a 7870 something like an underclocked 885 core clock and 1375 mem is much more desirable, and gets you higher results than the core at 1k and the mem still at 1375...

Makes no sense whatsoever to me, but that is how it is.

Litecoin likes bandwidth, lots of it, for example on a 7870 something like an underclocked 885 core clock and 1375 mem is much more desirable, and gets you higher results than the core at 1k and the mem still at 1375...

Pretty much, the difference for most is minor between a highly overclocked setup to an under-volted (like mine) system that runs the fan at a moderate speed, but still maintains relatively low temps. There really is no benefit for maxing out the card both performance and power wise.

I can pretty much confirm this. Stock clocks 975/1250 for my 290s is slower than 850/1350, I have tried 1020/1350 and its significantly slower than 850/1350 plus underclocking the 290s make them quieter and produce less heat so its win win. If and when ASICs come out for Litecoin people will switch to other Alt coins. Feathercoin looks like the next one. I dont think we will see lots of used AMD GPUs flood the market for a long time.

I have been a gamer for over a decade. Switched teams back and forth, but the only notable Nvidia cards i owned were the 6800Ultra, 7800GT, and 9800GTX+. Apart from them i have been all AMD/ATi.

Anybody with a brain will remember the crouching tiger, NO DRAGON! cheats from back in the day.....

Wait a moment... why are these in such high demand? I thought that ASICs were the "future" for those with money to spend - especially those who were willing to spend $300+ on coin mining hardware. For awhile there was lots of "Oh I can't believe it, even GPU AMD miners can't profit anymore because of those people with ASICs". So what changed? Are the ASICs so limited they can't be used to mine different cryptocurrency than bitcoins? I didn't think the currencies were THAT different...

Wait a moment... why are these in such high demand? I thought that ASICs were the "future" for those with money to spend - especially those who were willing to spend $300+ on coin mining hardware. For awhile there was lots of "Oh I can't believe it, even GPU AMD miners can't profit anymore because of those people with ASICs". So what changed? Are the ASICs so limited they can't be used to mine different cryptocurrency than bitcoins? I didn't think the currencies were THAT different...

At the moment, there are no ASICs *that I'm aware of for scrypt-based crypto-currencies (Litecoin, Feathercoin, etc.) It's really only a matter of time, though.

*edit

Back