List of TRUE 1080p on PS3 and Xbox 360 - Let's put this together!

Z

Zinn

1080p Playstation 3 Games
--------------------------
1942: Joint Strike
Bejeweled 2
Blast Factor
Calling All Cars
Comet Crash
Disgaea 3
echocrome
Elefunk
Everyday Shooter
Fat Princess
Fifa Street 3
fl0w
Full Auto 2: Battlelines
Go! Sudoku
High Velocity Bowling
Linger in Shadows
Locoroco Cocoreccho
Lumines Supernova
Marvel Ultimate Alliance
NBA Street Homecourt
Pixeljunk Eden
Pixeljunk Monsters
Pixeljunk Racers
Piyotama
Ridge Racer 7
Rocketmen Axis of Evil
The Last Guy
Virtua Tennis 3
Wolf of the Battlefield Commando 3

1080p Xbox 360 Games
--------------------------
Boogie Bunnies
Fifa Street 3
Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2
NBA Street Homecourt
Pinball FX
Virtua Tennis 3

-----
Games that appear light blue need confirmation.
-----

It seems that A LOT of games for both the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 claim to support 1080p, but they are actually upscaling from 720p or even lower. It's pretty easy to see the difference if you have a nice TV or monitor. True 1080p games just look so much nicer. So I'm hoping to put together a list of all games that natively support 1080p (not upscaled). If anyone has any additions, please let me know. I'm only starting out with what I know here. There is one site that has tried to compile a similar list, but most of the games they have on their are upscaled from lower resolutions and just output at 1080p. That is not very useful.

Rules
  1. This is a thread for information on 1080p games. Not flaming or bickering. Anyone who threadcraps or tries to start shit in this thread will be reported. I will lock the thread if it gets out of hand.
  2. Please keep the discussion on the topic of 1080p gaming. Not the merits of various game consoles.
  3. ONLY report games that you have personally observed to be running at native 1080p resolution.
  4. Games that show up light blue on the list need confirmation. If I don't personally have a chance to test them, they may show up unconfirmed until a couple of people report that they are native 1080p.
  5. Games on this list have to run at 1920x1080. So games like GT5 Prologue which run at resolutions like 1280x1080p are not acceptable.

Last edited by a moderator:
google found this: Bold is mine, since most of those are obviously not 1080p native.

List of Xbox 360 1080p games
by TDavid @ 7:43 am PST

Native 1080p games available for the Xbox 360 include the following 6 titles:

new![native 1080p] Wolf of the Battlefield Commando 3 [Xbox Live Arcade]
new![native 1080p] Feeding Frenzy 2 [Xbox Live Arcade]
new![native 1080p] Portal [Xbox Live Arcade]
[native 1080p] Boogie Bunnies [Xbox Live Arcade]
[native 1080p] Street Home Court
[native 1080p] Virtual Tennis 3

Box advertised 1080p games available for the Xbox 360 include the following 35 total titles. Purists will view native 1080p as the best possible resolution, not 720p titles upscaled to 1080p. The titles below show 1080p on the back of the game boxes but have not been confirmed by third party sources as being native 1080p.

A (2)
All Pro Football 2K8
Armored Core 4

B (4)
Battlefield 2 (Platinum Hits)
The Bigs
Bioshock
Bullet Witch

C (3)
Call of Duty 3
Call of Juarez
Command & Conquer 3

D (2)
Dead or Alive 4 (Platinum Hits)
Dance Dance Revolution Universe

F (2)
Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer
Fight Night Round 3

G (1)
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter

H (3)
Harry Potter
Halo 3
Hour of Victory

I (1)
Icon

M (2)
Meet The Robinsons
Monster Madness Battle for Suburbia

N (2)
NCAA 08 Football
NCAA 07 March Madness

O (1)
Overlord

P (1)
Pirates of the Carribean

R (2)
Ratatouilio
Rayman Raving Rabbit

S (5)
Saints Row
Shadowrun
Spiderman 3
Superman Returns
Surf’s Up

T (2)
Tetris Evolution
Two Worlds

U (1)
UEFA Championship Soccer

V (1)
Vampire Rain

Notes on both lists
- The native 1080p games list (the first list) is confirmed by multiple third party sources.
- All titles listed above have been checked as being 1080p compatible firsthand by the back of the game box and/or by owning/playing the game at 1080p resolution. System used: Xbox 360 Elite with HDMI on Samsung LCD 1080p TV.
- you can find a list of PS3 1080p games here. All titles listed there are native 1080p as there are no known titles for the PS3 that advertise 1080 support on the back of the game boxes and aren’t native 1080p.
- corrections or additions to the lists? Leave your comments here

List last updated Nov 22, 2008 10:01pm PST

Related Posts

* How many of the 2006 top Xbox 360 games did you play?
* List of PS3 1080p games
* 200+ Xbox backwards compatible games list published
* E3: More info on Xbox 360 backwards compatibility
* No saved game transfer from Xbox to Xbox 360
* XBox sweetens the hardware deal for the holidays

I heard NG Sigma for PS3 is 1080p. No clue if it really is or not thogh.

I was referring to the site that list came from in the OP. Pretty much every 360 game after Oct 07 has 1080p written on the box, but they are just upscaling. The only games worth looking at are at the top of the list:

[native 1080p] Street Home Court
[native 1080p] Virtual Tennis 3

I'm going to download the demos of those XBLA games on my 360 and check them out. If someone who has played NBA Street Home Court or Virtua Tennis 3 could confirm, that would be cool. Also, I'm wondering if the PS3 version of those last two games is 1080p as well? :confused:

[edit]Nice, there's a demo of Virtua Tennis on PSN. I'll check it out

I'll download the demo (if it's still up there, it's pretty old) and get back to you.

Yeah i think almost all games (not arcade) run 720p but just upscaling.

I do believe MGS4 runs at 768p with 2x temporal AA which makes it looks flawless in 1080p making it look like its running native.

But i do like the idea of this list though, and i hope it grows :)

GT5 prolouge is native 1080p and Sonys Basketball also.

COD3 = 600p
Halo3= 640p

The majority of the rest on that list are not native 1080p.

Wipeout HD is native 1080p although it substitutes <1080p frames as needed to maintain 60fps.

Ridge Racer 7 is native 1080p.

Lair is native 1080p (800x1080)

okay, I checked out all of those Arcade games (demos). I don't know what the guy who compiled that list was smoking but it looks like only WOTB Commando 3 and Boogie Bunnies are in 1080p. Portal looks like it's running at even lower than 720p and the framerate sucks as well. Feeding Frenzy was definitely not 1080p.

I'm still downloading VT3 for PS3. Ever since I switched to wireless the online speeds just crawl... I've queued up WOTB Commando 3 for PS3 so we'll see how it compares vs the 360.

You might get a better start over here. Also, requiring proof before entry onto your list would be a very good idea, as evidenced by some of the clearly wrong assumptions in this thread!

You might get a better start over here. Also, requiring proof before entry onto your list would be a very good idea, as evidenced by some of the clearly wrong assumptions in this thread!

This is a good idea, although how to prove a title is 1080p is kind of tricky. I am doing my best to download demos of every game and test with my own eyes, but if a couple of members report that a title is 1080p, that will also have to be good enough. For now titles that aren't confirmed will show up light blue until we have more people backing them up.

I'm going to remove Lair from the list as it looks to be running at 800x1080, not *full* 1920x1080

NG Sigma is a weird case. The title screen and menus run at 1080p, but the actual gameplay is noticeably lower. I'm not going to list it.

Isn't Gran Turismo HD Concept 1440x1080P w/No AA while GT5P is 1280x1080P w/2xMSAA.

Edit: Gran Turismo HD isn't true 1080p either.

Isn't Gran Turismo HD Concept True 1080p (1920x1080P) w/No AA while GT5 is actually 1280x1080P w/2xMSAA stretched to 1920x1080.

I don't know. I just listed it because a couple of people mentioned it was 1080p. According to this site (thanks Nihilanth99), GT5 Prologue runs: "1080p mode is 1280x1080 (2xAA) in-game while the garage/pit/showrooms are 1920x1080 with no AA. 720p mode is 1280x720 (4xAA)"

So, that's not true 1080p. I'm going to take it off the list for now...

I have also added a whole bunch of games that I was able to download demos and test for both the PS3 and the 360.

So, that's not true 1080p. I'm going to take it off the list for now...

800x1080 or 1280x1080 are 1080p resolutions. Now if you want 1920x1080 non-upscaled 1080p games, it'll be a short list. :p

Personally I think the other way. It's either true 1920 x 1080 or it's not.

Wipeout HD uses a dynamic framebuffer. It's 1080p unless things get too hectic in which case it drops the resolution to maintain the framerate.

The reason not more games run at 1080p is that they would have to sacrifice so much detail that they would be looking worse then rendered in 720p or even lower... But yes Wipeout HD looks awesome just wished they would have more animated part on the ships looks to stiff :(

So... I'm thinking we've covered most of the 1080p games on both consoles. This is a shorter list than I expected :(
The reason not more games run at 1080p is that they would have to sacrifice so much detail that they would be looking worse then rendered in 720p or even lower...
That's true... It seems like the vast majority of 1080p games on this list are downloadable arcade-style games. They're not really pushing tons of polygons at once once (like fl0w or Geometry Wars 2), but the art direction and high resolution really makes for an immersive gaming experience. It would be nice if games like MGS4 or Gears 2 would show up on this list, but you're right that the sacrifice in detail just wouldn't be worth it.

In any case, if you're like me and have a nice gaming PC and monitor, the games on this list make a perfect no-compromise complement to the great gaming experience that the PC is providing this holiday season. At full 1080p, the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 can look just as good as anything a PC can pump out.

Plus, a lot of the games on this list are must-own titles for each console. Fl0w, Pixeljunk Monsters and Eden on the PS3 and Geometry Wars 2 on the 360 are among my favorite time-wasters right now. I know a LOT of people like Echochrome, Wipeout HD, and Super Street Fighter 2 HD Remix (pick your console for that one). These games are pretty much no brainers if you have the cash.

This really isn't the gen for it. Hopefully there wont be any batshit mental changes to resolution in TVs next gen (No point unless you're getting utterly massive TVs) so we should see 1080p being the norm, and hopefully at 60fps.

pah i was doing over native 1500p back in 2000 on my pc!!! 3dfx glide on my voodoo 3 running unreal tournament on my 20" crt.....those were the days!!

On Topic, i agree if its not full hd 1920x1080 then it sholdnt be on the list

pah i was doing over native 1500p back in 2000 on my pc!!! 3dfx glide on my voodoo 3 running unreal tournament on my 20" crt.....those were the days!
Lets remember though... it looked like shite. :D

at the time myself and friends were blown away though! That along with quake 2, hitman, blood 2 etc lol

PS3: Ninja Gaiden Sigma

As I mentioned earlier, at least in the demo, only the title and menu screens are in 1080p for that game. The actual gameplay looks like it's lower than 720p. Tricky.... (it's not going on the list)

Aren't pretty much all the smaller PSN titles 1080p?

Calling all Cars
Brain Challenge
Soldner X
Age of Booty
Tekken DR
High Stakes Poker
High Velocity Bowling
The Last Guy

without looking at my PSN games folder I can't remember more off the top of my head :D They look very crisp tho so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm sure Marvel UA is 1080p too.

As I mentioned earlier, at least in the demo, only the title and menu screens are in 1080p for that game. The actual gameplay looks like it's lower than 720p. Tricky.... (it's not going on the list)

Really? Weird. I saw a video review for it from GameTrailers the other day and he said it's in full 1080p so I put it up here, that guy knows what he's talking about (well I mean, he's the best reviewer IMO)

And yeah, most of the games on the list are arcade, those definitely don't count, at least in my book.

A lot of those arcade games, esp. on the PS3, are kickass to the max. Plus it looks like we can count full 1080p retail games for each console on one hand, so there wouldn't be much of a list if we left out the downloadable games.

it does now... games that run anything less than 1920x1080 native are not included.

(read rule number 5 in the original post)

:confused:

WipEout HD is still on this list, though ... and according to the discussion in this thread, it is not always natively rendered at 1080p.

I really like WipEout HD, but if we're going to have a list that has 1080p-rendered games, then apparently, it doesn't belong on the list in the OP.

Back