List of subjects and wht forum they belong in

I've wasted too much time trying to figure out what forum to post my topic in b/c it could fir in many of them as it pertains a little to a number of forums or it really isn't specifically covered by any of them.

Of instance the eyefi SD card that is storage (but not SSD or Hard drive) and it is ues in mobile devices, and cameras, AND it is networking because it is wireless transmission.

So what I suggest we do is make a list of topics and hardware categories and then list in which forum they belong. Make this a sticky and then someone (lots of people) open this post and do a "find" of their desired item and see what forum best suites it.

There is nothing more frustrating when a thread gets little attention b/c it is in the wrong forum even though it may be very helpful to some people.

This thread would be continually updated (first opst of the thread) whenever new items /topics are added when people post these on the thread. If they are questionable, make a poll and have people select where they think it should go.

With the number of users on this board, this would be SOO helpful and waste MUCH less time trying to find the right forum, searching for where their item is posted as a subject many times in a specific forum AND it would cut down a lot of server CPU usage as it wouldn't hve to query these requests. (I've researched this, making lists to avoid CPU utilization can cut down CPU usage from 3-8% on a busy site - so they just reference a stickied list.

Thoughts?

Storage and networking products can be a tough one to categorize. It depends on what device your using the it in and its capabilities. It usually goes in the Storage/NAS (Network Attached Storage) forum unless the product's primary or minimum feature is networking multiple devices, such as routers. The Home Theater PC forum is similar to NAS storage, except with additional cpu performance for plex server transcoding and home PC use.

If you're looking for wireless transmission of data and post this in the Mobile forum, you'd probably find easier solutions such as android/apple sync suggestions for wireless file transfers between local devices or cloud storage solutions.
If you're looking for wireless transmission of data and post this in the Networking & Security forum, they'd ask what the specific purpose is. For a camera, you'd probably get suggestions for x264 wireless ip camera, and maybe someone who has experience with wireless sd cards for older cameras or placed in a car. For networking, cheap wifi routers can have external storage with a usb thumb drive, if it needs to be smaller, something like a Raspberry Pi Zero Wireless.
If you're looking for wireless transmission of data and post this in the Storage/NAS forum, you'd find sdcard products, cloud solutions, network attached storage solutions, RAID, file system formats (NTFS, ZFS), and product performance and reliability data.

*Maybe adding NAS to the Storage forum title would help? and Media servers to the HTPC title?

That's kinda like standing at the mouth of a river and tracing the waters back upstream to the tributaries headwaters. Too many variables, but like Kyle said, love to see the list.

There's a reason there's a "General Hardware" subforum I'd say, that's where eyefi SD card questions could go without any issues at all if you're really that stuck on deciding where to start a thread. I doubt seriously the Admins/Mods are gonna be dropping a ban hammer on someone for making a thread in a category IF they feel it's more appropriate in another place and would more than likely just move the thread to that location. As for breaking it down even to more granular levels for the eyefi SD card, if the issue you're asking about is storage related, obviously it would go in the SSD & Data Storage subforum; if it's something related to the networking aspects then the Networking & Security subforum - again, dropping it in the General Hardware subforum isn't a bad place to start if you're that stuck for deciding "Where the hell should I post this..."

This is really a sticking point for some people? :confused:

Back