Philips 272P4QPJKEB
Samsung S24A850D
Samsung S27A850D
Samsung S27B971D
Viewsonic VP2770
Qnix QX2710
X-Star DP2710

IPS: AH-IPS commonly suffer from matte-coating cross-hatching

Asus VG2xAH Series (These monitors are truly semi-glossy, the rest are technically matte with light coatings)
Asus PA24xQ Series
Crossover 30XP-Driver (?)
Dell U2x13H series
Dell U2713HM
Dell 3014
Eizo CG246
HP Z24i
HP Z30i
Lenovo LT3053P
LG 27A83R & D
NEC EA244WMi
NEC P242W
NEC PA2x2W Series
NEC PA302W
Viewsonic VP2772

Last edited:
LG L245WP is P-MVA not A-MVA. And is it semi gloss? Mine seems pretty grainy but its not bad (have to look at it really close).

Last edited:
I guess I should make a clarification for this thread: to qualify as a semi-gloss, the screen coating should still be somewhat reflective, with white whites (no or very minimal graininess) and otherwise not considered by either professional reviewers or users to be a matte coating, or even a lighter matte coating.

The purpose of having a semi-gloss listing is to distinguish between a matte screen and a glossy. There are people who really want this kind of Goldilocks coating that is neither matte (or light matte) nor full glossy but lean towards glossy. (remember to think of it as semi-gloss rather than semi-matte).I realize there will be some monitors that could fall into either category depending on subjective observation. Hopefully those will be very few.

Last edited:
Don't get ahead of yourself. That monitor has a regular matte surface, not 'semi glossy'. It just isn't as strong as LGs IPS panels which isn't saying much.

I updated my post.

I'm betting the Asus VG23AH actually uses a PLS panel from Samsung, like Eizo's 23 inchers, Asus is just advertising it as an IPS panel when it is actually a PLS panel.

A Samsung panel with passive 3D? Unlikely. But more unlikely than an LG panel without heavy antiglare. What a conundrum.

any updates? I'm still looking for something for a good price and doesn't flicker that much.
The PB278Q seems like a solid choice but 4x$700 is a bit out of my price range, not to mention probably don't make sense, anyone who sees it will call me crazy :)

There aren't any new models. The Samsung S27A850D does not flicker, has 3x USB ports and only costs 50$ more than the Asus PB278Q.

I wouldn't call the U2713 semi-glossy since it has noticeable AG due to the cross-hatching according to many onwers

There aren't any new models. The Samsung S27A850D does not flicker, has 3x USB ports and only costs 50$ more than the Asus PB278Q.

I wouldn't call the U2713 semi-glossy since it has noticeable AG due to the cross-hatching according to many onwers

The TFT review said it was semi-gloss. Photos of the U2713 with the monitor turned off look like there is a light sheen on the screen, just like a semi-gloss.

Not that I can personally confirm (yet), but I've seen so many reviews and notes on the NEC EA244WMI variously described as semi-gloss, missing graininess/crystal artifacts, lighter AG, etc. that it would seem to belong on the list. Along with NEC's pricier. I've gone around and around for a few days researching it, and (if I can get one! Not a trip to the store, have to wait) I can update.

Other things aside, on the AG issue -- this, and the Samsung S24A850 appear to be 24", 16:10 displays with a different kind of panel treatment. This is an issue that struck me as something to look harder at, and not just run out and get the Dell or HP equivalents. My current older Viewsonic is not too awful but if I look I see a mild screen door effect in the AG. The Dell and HP viewed under store lights were way, way more noticeable. I don't want to look through a screen door mesh but don't want full gloss either.

Back