List of programs to run when you build a PC

XxDaRkReAp3rxXdOtCoM

My User Name Is Stoopid
I was wondering what programs should I run when I build my PC to check if it's running good and if anything is wrong. Help me expand my list. I need some programs that measure CPU temp and speed of the cpu. Thank you:

Please read this list before posting, I don't want to double post any programs, Thanks

memtest86 - Checks your memory for errors
3dmark05 - Find out how fast your graphics card is
CPU-Z - Overclocking Stats Software
Central Brain ID - CPU Stats
SuperPI - OC Software
Prime95 - More OC Software
Motherboard Monitor 5 - Mobo Stats
Hd Tach - Benchmark Software
Hd Tune - Hard Drive Stats/Benchmarking
Everest - Hardware Info/Memory Benchmarking
Sequoia view - Hard Drive Stats
Si Soft Sandra - Benchmarking
Du meter - Monitor Network Activity
RTHDRIB - For Video Cards

CPU-Z
MOtherboard Monitor 5
HD-Tach
HD-Tune
Everest Home ediution
Sequoia view
Si Soft Sandra
Du meter
Prime 95
Super Pi

Never a bad idea to run a disc defrag after you have everything up and running as well. Feel free to use the built in or get yourself a more feature filled one. You might also want to set the page file on the outer track of your HD. Not a huge speed increase, but not a bad idea either.

First I run XP-AntiSpy, for obvious reasons, and have it uninstall MSN Messenger. I am so not a fan!!!

Then I run, in no particular order, Winzip, Winrar, Quicktime, Acrobat Reader, WinAmp, Nero, ZoneAlarm, DU Meter, Norton, ACDSee32, AdAware, Spybot Search & Destroy and SETI@Home.

Oldwolf said:
Then I run, in no particular order, Winzip, Winrar, Quicktime, Acrobat Reader, WinAmp, Nero, ZoneAlarm, DU Meter, Norton, ACDSee32, AdAware, Spybot Search & Destroy and SETI@Home.
Er, you run them, or you install them?

list looks good...
maybe a few different anti virus options

antivir is what i'm using

Oldwolf said:
Install, run, same thing.
For an adequately flawed definition of "same", you're right.

How do any of the programs you've listed tell you if anything is wrong with your new machine?

Linux - for fixing Windows when it crashes, or for when you need to retrieve your SAM file
Windows Update - the reason being, "anything wrong" encompasses a huge portion of the default OS install, and the update fixes alot of problems.

XxDaRkReAp3rxXdOtCoM said:
lol, nice one.

Hey, I was in a mood yesterday and didn't fully read his question. But honestly, some of those things, any of those things, that I listed, should really be bundled with Windows, instead of Mess-enger.

OCCT is another stress testing tool and i like SP2004 over Prime95 because it gives you some additional info such as a running timer.

This is a good list of utilities for stress testing and benchmarking. We should get a big list and throw it in a sticky some place and keep it updated.

Motherboard Monitor 5 is pretty much obsolete now. It only works on older gen motherboards. Any new system will have no need for this.

Intel - Intel Thermal Analysis Tool - this programs tells all the temperature readings in your computer

Intel - Intel Desktop Control Center (IDCC) - An Intel overclocking program only for certain Intel mobo's (go to Intel.com for more information). It also tells you temperature readings as well.

Asus - Asus Probe - This program works on most Asus mobos, tells temperatures readings and application and hard drive activites

Asus - Ai Booster - Some mobos support this Asus only overclocking program like IDCC and also shows temp readings.

Abit - Abit uGuru Utility - A overclocking program designed for Abit mobos, shows temp reading as well.

Gigabyte - Easytune Series - A overclocking program and temperature and fan monitoring program like the ones above.

Systool - A overclocking and many more great featured tweakings program for newer computers

Core Temp - Only works with Core 2 Series Processors, tells you the temperature readings and many more.

Stability Test Programs:

OCCT - Stress' and tortures your computers new overclock and tells you whether its stable or not
OCCT Perestroika 1.11 +- This is more advanced and "better" version of the original OCCT mentioned above

All Futuremark products (PCMARK series and 3DMARK series)

Super PI - Good computer calculation stresser.

Memtest - Good tweaking and ram stresser

GPU-Z: Gives you detailed information about your graphics card
And of course heaps more that will get or has been mentioned on these posts.........

Back