List of programs to run when you build a PC

XxDaRkReAp3rxXdOtCoM

My User Name Is Stoopid
I was wondering what programs should I run when I build my PC to check if it's running good and if anything is wrong. Help me expand my list. I need some programs that measure CPU temp and speed of the cpu. Thank you:

Please read this list before posting, I don't want to double post any programs, Thanks

memtest86 - Checks your memory for errors
3dmark05 - Find out how fast your graphics card is
CPU-Z - Overclocking Stats Software
Central Brain ID - CPU Stats
SuperPI - OC Software
Prime95 - More OC Software
Motherboard Monitor 5 - Mobo Stats
Hd Tach - Benchmark Software
Hd Tune - Hard Drive Stats/Benchmarking
Everest - Hardware Info/Memory Benchmarking
Sequoia view - Hard Drive Stats
Si Soft Sandra - Benchmarking
Du meter - Monitor Network Activity
RTHDRIB - For Video Cards

Scotch77

Gawd
CPU-Z
MOtherboard Monitor 5
HD-Tach
HD-Tune
Everest Home ediution
Sequoia view
Si Soft Sandra
Du meter
Prime 95
Super Pi

gigantorebirdie

Limp Gawd
Never a bad idea to run a disc defrag after you have everything up and running as well. Feel free to use the built in or get yourself a more feature filled one. You might also want to set the page file on the outer track of your HD. Not a huge speed increase, but not a bad idea either.

Oldwolf

Limp Gawd
First I run XP-AntiSpy, for obvious reasons, and have it uninstall MSN Messenger. I am so not a fan!!!

Then I run, in no particular order, Winzip, Winrar, Quicktime, Acrobat Reader, WinAmp, Nero, ZoneAlarm, DU Meter, Norton, ACDSee32, AdAware, Spybot Search & Destroy and SETI@Home.

mikeblas

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2006
Oldwolf said:
Then I run, in no particular order, Winzip, Winrar, Quicktime, Acrobat Reader, WinAmp, Nero, ZoneAlarm, DU Meter, Norton, ACDSee32, AdAware, Spybot Search & Destroy and SETI@Home.
Er, you run them, or you install them?

dtess17

2[H]4U
list looks good...
maybe a few different anti virus options

antivir is what i'm using

mikeblas

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2006
Oldwolf said:
Install, run, same thing.
For an adequately flawed definition of "same", you're right.

How do any of the programs you've listed tell you if anything is wrong with your new machine?

Sieravor

Gawd
Linux - for fixing Windows when it crashes, or for when you need to retrieve your SAM file
Windows Update - the reason being, "anything wrong" encompasses a huge portion of the default OS install, and the update fixes alot of problems.

Oldwolf

Limp Gawd
XxDaRkReAp3rxXdOtCoM said:
lol, nice one.

Hey, I was in a mood yesterday and didn't fully read his question. But honestly, some of those things, any of those things, that I listed, should really be bundled with Windows, instead of Mess-enger.

burningrave101

[H]F Junkie
OCCT is another stress testing tool and i like SP2004 over Prime95 because it gives you some additional info such as a running timer.

This is a good list of utilities for stress testing and benchmarking. We should get a big list and throw it in a sticky some place and keep it updated.

hegulator

Limp Gawd
Motherboard Monitor 5 is pretty much obsolete now. It only works on older gen motherboards. Any new system will have no need for this.

Matthew Kane

Supreme [H]ardness
Intel - Intel Thermal Analysis Tool - this programs tells all the temperature readings in your computer

Intel - Intel Desktop Control Center (IDCC) - An Intel overclocking program only for certain Intel mobo's (go to Intel.com for more information). It also tells you temperature readings as well.

Asus - Asus Probe - This program works on most Asus mobos, tells temperatures readings and application and hard drive activites

Asus - Ai Booster - Some mobos support this Asus only overclocking program like IDCC and also shows temp readings.

Abit - Abit uGuru Utility - A overclocking program designed for Abit mobos, shows temp reading as well.

Gigabyte - Easytune Series - A overclocking program and temperature and fan monitoring program like the ones above.

Systool - A overclocking and many more great featured tweakings program for newer computers

Core Temp - Only works with Core 2 Series Processors, tells you the temperature readings and many more.

Stability Test Programs:

OCCT - Stress' and tortures your computers new overclock and tells you whether its stable or not
OCCT Perestroika 1.11 +- This is more advanced and "better" version of the original OCCT mentioned above

All Futuremark products (PCMARK series and 3DMARK series)

Super PI - Good computer calculation stresser.

Memtest - Good tweaking and ram stresser

GPU-Z: Gives you detailed information about your graphics card
And of course heaps more that will get or has been mentioned on these posts.........