List of minor upgrades..opinions needed.

I take it that you're trying to turn your computer into a multimedia/gaming machine?

My only recommendation would be to swap your DVD burner out for one of the Samsung drives, as they generally run quieter than the Lite-On drives.

Same recommendation for a Samsung DVD burner.

Oh and I'm using those very same speakers. They're pretty nice for the price.

Samsung drives, eh? I will look into that, thanks. Danny Bui, a lot of the reviews were saying that those speakers make a humming noise. Do you find this to be true at all?

Samsung drives, eh? I will look into that, thanks. Danny Bui, a lot of the reviews were saying that those speakers make a humming noise. Do you find this to be true at all?

Not that I know of. The only thing that's weird is that if I turn the volume knob all the way down, it picks up the odd police or radio transmission. But that could just be me.

Not that I know of. The only thing that's weird is that if I turn the volume knob all the way down, it picks up the odd police or radio transmission. But that could just be me.

That means they're not very well shielded. I keep trying to stay away from Logitech speakers, but they get so cheap sometimes, its hard to resist.

That means they're not very well shielded. I keep trying to stay away from Logitech speakers, but they get so cheap sometimes, its hard to resist.

Ahh that would explain a lot.

Oh well. Got those speakers for $30 from a Black Friday sale.:)

Ok, so what about creative speakers? Is there a good pair between $30-70?

I have that same set of speakers and they sound pretty good for the price. They used to pick up radio signals pretty badly, but I fixed that with a couple of ferrite chokes from RadioShack ($3 for a pair).

If you are going to get the DVD drive, definitely go with a Samsung, they're much quieter and the LiteScribe is a pretty cool feature if you can get it.

As for the 360 controller, you can get one new off ebay for less than $20. Then you can download the software from here. http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/download/DownloadResult.aspx?category=Gaming&type=Controller&name=pk_xbox_cont&os=XP_SP1&lang=en
That should save you a little money.

Hope this helps.

What does lightscribe really do?

LightScribe allows you to use the laser on the drive to "write" and create labels on the front side of specially treated optical discs. Those discs tend to cost more than normal one-sided discs. I haven't heard of too many people rely on LightScribe, so unless they cost (around) the same as non-LightScribe DVD burners, I don't usually recommend them.

Ok, and I do like Lite-On drives anyways, I will probably stick with that then.

Hmm, ok quiet does matter to me, maybe I still will go with Samsung. Any other brand that is very quiet?

I heard Asus drives are quiet. I dont remember my Pioneers being loud, but then again, its been a while since I bought a Pioneer.

Back