Liquid Spill on Laptop

CeD

Limp Gawd
Hey all,

Today I encountered some liquid spill on one of my laptops. I cleaned it all up and am leaving it dry for about 10 more hours or so. If it powers up, I should be fine right? Or are there chances of it powering up and still having damage done?

(This is obvious..but did you disconnect the power cable and battery when you left it to dry? Once it short circuits ohhh boyy

If it didn't get into the Hd, it might be ok. And that is if it is water, if it is anything other than water, the residule will eventually corrode the parts inside, due to the heat from the laptop itself.

take this for what its worth... my gf has a dell lappy, she spilt water on it, turned it off right away, but not being the smartest electronic person in the world, turned it right back on and something sparked and smoked just a bit... i told her she was fucked, but to let it dry out for a day then try, and sure enough hers still works fine, but i think she is really lucky. seems like you did what your suppose to when it gets wet, who knows what will happen with yours, but good luck

Lets say it does power up though.. am I fine? Do I have anything to worry about? Or do I still have to worry about potential parts failure, etc?

do you have a warranty with your laptop? if you have complete care of some sorts...just send that mofo in and see what's up. do this AFTER you wait 10 hours to see if it works. if it works...you should be fine.

I have one more year of warranty. However, no complete care.

does it pay to lie about what is wrong with your laptop? if it does...just lie and say it quit working (that is if it does after you wait 10 hours)

**disclaimer** I am not liable for any directions you follow that I give. *disclaimer**

So if it turns on, I can stop stressing and will most likely not encounter any problems caused by this?

unless there is still water inside the laptop and it hasn't evaporated......you turn it on, decide to move it and boom.....it hits the mobo. you are probably going to have some problems then.

Well it was on when the incident happened. I turned it off as quik as i could though.

well if it is screwed, and you call tech support for whatever company.. dont tell them you split water on it

Did it turn on after?

Water spilled on my inspiron 8600 last night, (half a pint of water!). After drying it with a fan heater and leaving it over-night it worked fine the next day, no problems at all.

Mine was turned on when the water spill happened, unplugged the A/C and took out the battery straight away.

It turned on and everything seems to be ok so far. Hopefully it lasts!

I just finished completely disassembling and cleaning the used Toshiba satellite 3005 I recently bought. Despite being advertised as "Near Perfect", it's internals were clogged with all manner of pet hair, food, sand, dried and sticky liquid residues, and a couple of bugs. The liquid residue required hours of careful scrubbing, as it was thick and...well...thick. I have no doubt that someone spilled a cup of juice or coolaid into the computer. Whether it was on at the time is unknows. But I was still surprised that it was working as well as it was, even with all that crap lodged inside.

Back