Linux

JdoubleG

n00b
So, I'm trying to install linux. I'll admit i'm a complete newb to it, as i'm sure this question will make obvious. I have an Athlon XP, which processor archeticture should i search for? I've been using I386, and the installs work but something always goes wrong.
Thanks,
-JdoubleG

x86 usually works. 386 should work on anything and 686 should work with the newer processors, presumably your axp.

also what distro/version and other hardware specs

yeah we could use a bit more information than "something goes wrong." where is the problem? what is the problem? what distrobution are you using? what kernel version? what are you hardware specs?

all the more details, better we can help you and improve your experience.
often times, that's something that can easily be fixed - and on x86 of the athlonxp technology era, i'll be damned if it's not fixable.
personally, i highly recommend gentoo linux (i have a stage3 athlon-xp optimized install, no problems w/ nforce2). coming from a once newb - gentoo was the only way i'd have learned as much as i did and enjoyed my experience as much as i have (am). (tried: debian 3, rh 8 and 9, mdk 8.2 and 9, slackware 8 and 9, evilentity 2.5, arch linux, knoppix hdd install)

Back