Linux Wifi Adapter Woes

I've installed DaVinci Resolve, it's really simple using the .deb patch.

Installation was. Getting it to run... not so much. Distro didn't ship with stuff it needed, and I broke the distro by haphazardly trying to satisfy the dependencies.

Installation was. Getting it to run... not so much. Distro didn't ship with stuff it needed, and I broke the distro by haphazardly trying to satisfy the dependencies.

Really? What distro?

I had none of those issues, I literally had it up and running in ten mins. Did you use the .deb method using the scrips created by Daniel Tufvesson? As by default DaVinci Resolve is only designed to run under CentOS.

That is one notable difference seen when switching between Windows and Linux; on Windows driver packages usually include software, whereas on Linux, it's usually just the driver, and that's usually included with the distro.

As an exception Nvidia drivers still seem large on Linux, but they're also smaller than they are on Windows.
Isn't that because if you write sloppy bloated code Linus calls you a fucking degenerate?

So a few days with Ubuntu, it's going good.

I'm reading a few books on Linux and I do want to invest more time into learning.

I also got the new wifi adapters and an extra SSD, will test out later today.

However, there are a few annoying things:

- My Bluetooth earbuds will not auto-connect. They do work, but I have to manually connect them each time. But, to be fair, Bluetooth on Windows has been pretty rocky as well.

- High refresh on the desktop only partially works. I can select 166Hz, and it is working, however there is a high CPU usage bug with gnome-shell that makes dragging windows around choppy. Thankfully full-screen games are no problem.

- Steam client beta is broken, cannot interact with the library (found a few other Linux users with the same problem, no solution). So I can't test Proton, but it is a beta so understandable.

- Sometimes graphics on the desktop get mangled like gibberish icons and strange looking text. Pressing Alt+F2+R will fix it, but kind of annoying that it happens.

So overall it is not perfect, but so far those annoyances are not deal-breakers for me. I really do want to support free software and not keep bending over to corporate surveillance.

I stuck with Windows for the longest for gaming, but honestly I don't even game that much anymore and I don't need super graphics (even the Nintendo Switch is fine) so I may just try to rock Ubuntu for a daily driver and do my gaming on consoles.

In any case, Proton is looking promising so gaming on Linux is probably more viable than ever.

The new wifi adapter is SMOKING!!!

Speed_1200.png

The old Panda one was only getting 40Mbps so this is 6x the speed.

I did have to compile a kernel module, but the instructions I found worked.

So I spent 2 days with Steam downloads slowing down until eventually killing the internet on my machine (requiring reboot).

I found tons of threads talking about DNS caching, but that didn't help. I was pulling my hair out.

In the end it was my external SSD (M.2 NVME enclosure). The mount options were wrong (sync instead of async) and the faster download speed was maxing out the writes and messing everything up. With the default mount options (including async) it works great.

Seems I learned a *LOT* about Linux networking and external drive functionality and did get it working in the end. I guess things in Linux can be overly confusing *BUT* you have the ability to fix it if you figure it out.

Sadly getting my Bluetooth earbuds and Xbox One controller working wirelessly was no dice. I did get the headphones basically working, but required a manual connection and sound settings configure every time (pretty annoying). And the XB1 controller had massive lag and loss of signal.

So I did just plug in the cable for the controller and earbuds. The quality is definitely better and it works 100%, I can live with that compromise for now.

Also, Proton seems to work nice. DOOM works flawlessly and Left4Dead was almost there (I did notice intermittent stutter, but that may be a G-Sync issue). Definitely have to try more games, but it is nice to see how much effort Valve is putting toward Linux compatibility.

I was able to fix the stutter in L4D by entering the Steam client beta (but I had to disable GPU acceleration in web views to fix the library freeze bug).

Checking out ProtonDB, there are a lot more games supported than I expected. Gonna try some more tonight.

Back