Linux Who? Windows Still King of the Desktop

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
This is quite the stunner, but it turns out that Linux is still dominated by Windows. Those of you who already knew that water is wet may turn to NetMarketShare for something of more substance, which has revealed the latest percentages of desktop OS market share. On the flipside, Microsoft is doing much less impressively in the browser world, as its Edge continues to flounder and be irrelevant.

…statistics provided by NetMarketShare for the month of March 2017 show that Windows not only that is the leading choice for desktop computers across the world but it also maintains a level that gives Microsoft absolutely no reason to worry that anything could change soon in this regard. Specifically, Windows is the number one operating system on the desktop with no less than 91.59 percent, while Mac is the runner-up with 6.27 percent. Linux is only third right now with 2.14 percent, so before overtaking Windows, it first needs to win again Apple’s operating system.

Careful, Linux guys are on their way to tell you that no numbers on the internet can REALLY show you accurate market share. The only way to be sure is to know its doing better than everyone says. You gotta KNOW IT, MAN!

I wonder where Chrome OS fits in there. I just got a Chromebook for my elderly parents and they now split their time with a Core2Duo Win7 desktop, the Chromebook and android phones.

I wonder where Chrome OS fits in there. I just got a Chromebook for my elderly parents and they now split their time with a Core2Duo Win7 desktop, the Chromebook and android phones.

It doesn't "fit in there". It has such a small market share that it is not even worth mentioning.

Careful, Linux guys are on their way to tell you that no numbers on the internet can REALLY show you accurate market share. The only way to be sure is to know its doing better than everyone says. You gotta KNOW IT, MAN!

On the desktop Linux simply isn't as good as many of its proponents say. And it's not so much the OS itself, it's the support. Sorry, but desktop Linux support sucks compared to Windows and these numbers are the reason why. Desktop Linux simply needs a LOT more users before the support issue gets better.

Reactions: Anosh
like this
On the desktop Linux simply isn't as good as many of its proponents say. And it's not so much the OS itself, it's the support. Sorry, but desktop Linux support sucks compared to Windows and these numbers are the reason why. Desktop Linux simply needs a LOT more users before the support issue gets better.
I use Linux everyday, and in fact I'm using a HTPC running Linux Mint right now as I type this. Most of the issues that plagued Linux are long gone, except for software. Linux needs more software. I have several laptops running Linux, and a few desktop PCs at home running Linux, but I still have one PC running Windows 10. Why? Cause my games are not on Linux.

Honestly, I'd like Adobe products and Sony Vegas on Linux as well, but there are alternatives. Shitty free alternatives, but I can mostly deal with it just fine. And before someone says Wine... it sucks. I could write a book on the shittyness of Wine. It's fine for older Windows applications and games, but nothing modern and new.

What a pointless post? Between Feb and March was Linux supposed to increase it's market share enough to eclipse an OS that's marketed as opposed to an OS that's not?

Guess what? The local privately owned restaurant isn't as popular as McDonalds, even though the food is better at the local restaurant.

Usage of 10 dropped slightly, usage of 7 rose slightly, usage of Linux rose slightly and according to Netmarketshare (Microsoft partners as far as I'm aware) Internet Explorer is the second most popular browser?!

Last edited:
Is it just me or is Linux doing better than Windows 8 and almost as good as Mac OSX? Also, what's that OTHER 4%? Isn't that usually Linux?

Is it just me or is Linux doing better than Windows 8 and almost as good as Mac OSX? Also, what's that OTHER 4%? Isn't that usually Linux?

Web statistics are useless, here's mine:

Who uses Unix, what's 'OS Unknown' and 'Other' and where's Linux in there?!

Yes, it is and will likely be so for a long time to come. Backwards compatibility and hardware support are the 2 biggest reasons for this. Also, POS and professional level software is highly supported on Windows.

Guess what? The local privately owned restaurant isn't as popular as McDonalds, even though the food is better at the local restaurant.

Usage of 10 dropped slightly, usage of 7 rose slightly, usage of Linux rose slightly and according to Netmarketshare (Microsoft partners as far as I'm aware) Internet Explorer is the most popular browser?!

Netmarketshare showed a slight increase in Windows 10 for March, more then Linux.

Yes, it is and will likely be so for a long time to come. Backwards compatibility and hardware support are the 2 biggest reasons for this. Also, POS and professional level software is highly supported on Windows.

Backwards compatibility?

Backwards compatibility is not a major selling point of Windows. Everything from games to accounting packages and drivers have backwards compatibility issues with Windows.

Last edited:
POS and professional level software

POS software! HA! I just see the funny alternate meaning for POS.

Honestly, why anyone would install an OS with a GUI on an embedded device is beyond my comprehension. No wonder POS terminals are so damn slow.

Backwards compatibility?

Backwards compatibility is not a major selling point of Windows. Everything from games to accounting packages and drivers have backwards compatibility issues with Windows.

Backwards compatibility is ABSOLUTELY a major selling point. The fact that people expect everything to work, things usually do work, and exceptions get called out is proof of this.

Backwards compatibility is ABSOLUTELY a major selling point. The fact that people expect everything to work, things usually do work, and exceptions get called out is proof of this.

The problem is they don't always work, not by a long shot.

Indeed, look at all of the complaints over Windows Media Center and the only thing that it did that's hard to replace is CableCard and that's as esoteric as it gets.

The problem is they don't always work, not by a long shot.

Nothing always works especially when it comes to something the size of the Windows software library. But generally backwards compatibility is very good in Windows. I didn't have anything that worked in 7 that didn't in 10 with the exception of Windows Media Center with CableCard which I was using that much these days because of streaming options. I've gotten some very old software to work perfectly under Windows 10 like the original Max Payne that's almost 16 years old now.

Indeed, look at all of the complaints over Windows Media Center and the only thing that it did that's hard to replace is CableCard and that's as esoteric as it gets.

Actually, as a died in the wool HTPC user, WMC was one of the best things MS ever made, it's implementation of PVR functionality was outstanding. Since support has been dropped I've been forced to switch to a Linux based HTPC running Kodi with a MythTV backend and MythTV has given me no end of trouble.

Nothing always works especially when it comes to something the size of the Windows software library. But generally backwards compatibility is very good in Windows. I didn't have anything that worked in 7 that didn't in 10 with the exception of Windows Media Center with CableCard which I was using that much these days because of streaming options. I've gotten some very old software to work perfectly under Windows 10 like the original Max Payne that's almost 16 years old now.

So how is this any different to any other OS?

Real Linux bros are bouncing their shit off satellites and using multiple VPNs, and reporting their OS version as MS DOS 2.4 to avoid snoops and exploits. If you're good enough to use Linux you're good enough to make sure THE MAN doesn't know you're using Linux. #tinfoilhatbruh

OK, I challenge anyone to try this Linux desktop OS and tell me it is harder and has worse support than Windows.

https://elementary.io/

Just enter $0 to download it for free.

I use Windows but I use Elementary on two PCs also.

I can use literally none of the software (99% DX 10+ games, true) I want to on this OS. Therefor this OS is shit and has zero effective support. Try again.

I use Linux everyday, and in fact I'm using a HTPC running Linux Mint right now as I type this. Most of the issues that plagued Linux are long gone, except for software. Linux needs more software. I have several laptops running Linux, and a few desktop PCs at home running Linux, but I still have one PC running Windows 10. Why? Cause my games are not on Linux.

Honestly, I'd like Adobe products and Sony Vegas on Linux as well, but there are alternatives. Shitty free alternatives, but I can mostly deal with it just fine. And before someone says Wine... it sucks. I could write a book on the shittyness of Wine. It's fine for older Windows applications and games, but nothing modern and new.

Confirmation I'm right about everything I care about (gaming, photo and video editing) from a current Linux user. And yes, I've used it in the past, I just don't bother with the shitshow any more. I am drowning in free Windows 10 licenses. Why would I bother with an inferior product that won't support most of what I do?

Last edited:
Actually, as a died in the wool HTPC user, WMC was one of the best things MS ever made, it's implementation of PVR functionality was outstanding. Since support has been dropped I've been forced to switch to a Linux based HTPC running Kodi with a MythTV backend and MythTV has given me no end of trouble.

I have CableCard so sure I get it with WMC, I used it from day one. But streaming is so much more convenient. I'd thought about setting up Windows 8.1 to run WMC but it's no longer worth it to me. WMC is great for what it is but cable and OTA TV are dying off and that's been well document for years now.

I have CableCard so sure I get it with WMC, I used it from day one. But streaming is so much more convenient. I'd thought about setting up Windows 8.1 to run WMC but it's no longer worth it to me. WMC is great for what it is but cable and OTA TV are dying off and that's been well document for years now.

FTA TV isn't dying off everywhere.

The fact is MS lost interest in WMC and that's what killed it. Had they added Netflix and YouTube native support at minimum it may have been a more popular product worthy of keeping.

The cynic in me remains pleased Edge is failing for no other reason than the bullshit nagging Windows 10 makes you go through to remove it as your default browser. "Are you sure?!" "Wait, are you SUPER DUPER SURE!??"

Back