Linux versus Windows - bigadv folding results

how do I get it to run the script from the terminal? I'm not sure if it is or not, but if it is I'm still getting lost connections. This is why nobody runs linux everyday, something as simple as a wireless connection is about 100x as hard as it is on windows :rolleyes:

linux was my main OS on my tablet until i needed serious inking work......and used wifi on it ;) its all about how well supported the hardware is with the OS

linux was my main OS on my tablet until i needed serious inking work......and used wifi on it ;) its all about how well supported the hardware is with the OS
of course, "nobody" was a relative term ;) Its obvious that my usb stick is supported by default, considering that it is detected immediately and finds networks, it just refuses to stay connected if I walk away from the computer

Looks like tear has been doing some more optimising of Linux::eek:

Yes you read it right, sub 5:45 frame times on 6901:eek::cool:

Pretty awesome. I still want to know how he's overclocking those chips unless they are ES.

chmod +x <filename>

then

./<filename>
thanks. sorry for my total noobish-ness

Either way, its still completely messed up. I had it pinging away every 10 seconds and the connection still dropped after about a minute. Whats more irritating is that it won't reconnect automatically OR manually. I have to actually remove the USB stick from the system then plug it back in before it reconnects. What hardware are you using that has no issue? I may be willing to purchase a different wireless stick for better compatibility

thanks. sorry for my total noobish-ness

Either way, its still completely messed up. I had it pinging away every 10 seconds and the connection still dropped after about a minute. Whats more irritating is that it won't reconnect automatically OR manually. I have to actually remove the USB stick from the system then plug it back in before it reconnects. What hardware are you using that has no issue? I may be willing to purchase a different wireless stick for better compatibility

I have a Rosewell PCI-e card that i am using. I didn't try a USB adapter, although I do have a few of them.

So thats close to 440kppd depending on upload speed?
48 x 2.5Ghz = 120Ghz
12 x 4.2Ghz = 50.4Ghz
It's doing each frame in 59% of the time the SR-2 takes so that's still pretty efficient though there are twice the number of threads so at least it can do that.

Last edited:
So thats close to 440kppd depending on upload speed?
48 x 2.5Ghz = 120Ghz
12 x 4.2Ghz = 50.4Ghz
It's doing each frame in 59% of the time the SR-2 takes so that's still pretty efficient though there are twice the number of threads so at least it can do that.

Yeah, max theoretical is 448.6kPPD:eek::cool:

Tear has also posted his Krakken wrapper for the V7 client.

hell I need to talk to him... overclocking on linux.....
if I can have my dodecas at 3.2 x24 I am thinking sub 10min tpf...

better be....16min at 1.7

hell I need to talk to him... overclocking on linux.....
if I can have my dodecas at 3.2 x24 I am thinking sub 10min tpf...

better be....16min at 1.7

My brothers, I spotted this on the way to Taco Bell today.. please pray for brother Kendrak.

28h37dj.jpg

rofl.... Linux FTW ...and it is settled...

Looks like tear has been doing some more optimising of Linux::eek:

Yes you read it right, sub 5:45 frame times on 6901:eek::cool:

At 2.5 I'm not surprised. Tear is on a, well.... tear!

I am not sure but he might have black edition chips though.

Pretty awesome. I still want to know how he's overclocking those chips unless they are ES.

Somebody (cough sfield) from eVGA has gotten bus speed manipulations to work to overclock a little bit, but it ONLY works on the Super Micro H8QGxx motherboards. I tried it but I have two black edition chips and it is causing me to actually slow down at this time. I'll have to bug him again. TPF wentfrom 7:25 to 8:05 on 6901s.

But he has it working in both Windowz and Leenux.

At 2.5 I'm not surprised. Tear is on a, well.... tear!

I am not sure but he might have black edition chips though.

Somebody (cough sfield) from eVGA has gotten bus speed manipulations to work to overclock a little bit, but it ONLY works on the Super Micro H8QGxx motherboards. I tried it but I have two black edition chips and it is causing me to actually slow down at this time. I'll have to bug him again. TPF wentfrom 7:25 to 8:05 on 6901s.

But he has it working in both Windowz and Leenux.

and both have spd hacking down.... I just got some ddr3 1600 that I plan to make run cas 7 or better at 1333

A feast of boats?

Haha no you crazy foreigner. A chalupa is a delicacy here in the Usa from a fine dining establishment known as taco bell.

;)
Posted via Mobile Device

Haha no you crazy foreigner. A chalupa is a delicacy here in the Usa from a fine dining establishment known as taco bell.

;)
Posted via Mobile Device

We have Taco HELL in Canada too, and yes it is a delicacy. Great, now I'm gonna go get some for lunch. Dammit jebo_4jc!

Misc FYIs I have found:

Solution to shared folders on Ubuntu going berserk: Synaptic package Manager - search for Samba - Mark for reinstallation - apply - reapply share to FAH folder - fixed!

Ubuntu can be funny... on 2 of my rigs I have the odd issue with Samba.

Rebooting Sr2#1 from Windows to Ubuntu for the weekend - and HFM on my windows meeia centre could not see the FAH shared folder - I checked it in Ubuntu and it was missing the middle check mark - (Allow others to create and delete files in this folder) Should not need it, but I tried to add it again and got:

Code:
net usershare' returned error 255: net usershare add: cannot convert name "Everyone" to a SID. The connection was refused. Maybe smbd is not running.

Googling this lead to a lot of options, but I ignored them, and just reinstalled Samba and fixed it... just a FYI for those following me.

Also - I lazily did not enable C6 States on SR2#1 when switching from Windows to Linux. I enabled C3, but not C6. (how I have it set while working on Windows - C6 is just too laggy) Turns out that enabling C6 and/or setting the limiter that controls the whether to limit the C-States at C3 or C6 to "Auto" is a good move - frame times 12 seconds better. So go the whole hog and enable the lot.

Musky, as always, your guidance and information is greatly appreciated. I wish I had half of your patience. ;)

Feedback item for those not installing the Ubuntu Desktop version...

10. Once it finishes, type this:
Code:
sudo apt-get install linux-image-generic-ck linux-headers-generic-ck
Again, more verbiage, blah, blah blah. Just let it finish.

For Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS (Lucid Lynx), this didn't work. Instead, I had to use:
Code:
sudo apt-get install linux-image-generic-bfs linux-headers-generic-bfs

Obtained from this link: https://launchpad.net/~chogydan/+archive/ppa

Thanks bud,
-JT

Edit: Sorry for bringing back such an old thread...

Musky, as always, your guidance and information is greatly appreciated. I wish I had half of your patience. ;)

Feedback item for those not installing the Ubuntu Desktop version...

For Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS (Lucid Lynx), this didn't work. Instead, I had to use:
Code:
sudo apt-get install linux-image-generic-bfs linux-headers-generic-bfs

Obtained from this link: https://launchpad.net/~chogydan/+archive/ppa

Thanks bud,
-JT

Edit: Sorry for bringing back such an old thread...

I actually knew this at one time - I was going to switch the guides and everything over to recommending 10.043 since it is a LTS version. However, I could never get the BFS patch to work correctly. It has been so long since I tried it, I don't remember what the actual issues were, but that is why I stuck with version 10.10 as the recommendation.

Understood -- if I'm successful (or not) using the LTS version I'll reply here.

So, the server (LTS) version didn't work out after all. Kept getting "cpu stuck for 61 seconds" error on each processor thread. Uninstalled the kraken, and it worked fine. /sigh

I'm installing the desktop version (10.10 x64) right now using the Network/Minimal CD link, so I can go command line only.

Thanks again for the guide musky. :)
-JT

I have been out of the folding community for a while and recently started to get back into it, however, it seems that a lot has changed since the last time I was active. This thread seems to have the most research in it that i have run across and was wondering if it was still the most current recomendation.

I will be working primarily with supermicro 2p and 1p boards and G34, C32, Socket F CPUs
I do have a couple Intels 1p with 5639 cpus as well.

Let me know if this is the best thread to implement or if there is a more current recomendation.

You're most welcome!

If you have further questions wrt Ubuntu guide or [H] appliance, feel free to post in respective threads.

Back