[Linux] Pidgin + Facebook giving me hell

rec0d3

Limp Gawd
Anyone have any success in using Pidgin with facebook on Linux?

Years ago Facebook disabled the XMPP option but users are claiming they have been using it with a workaround. Anyone that can help would be amazing.

I tried getting FB working with Pidgin a while ago, in the end I gave up. Since FB disabled XMPP it's more trouble than it's worth, considering some of the crap my mates send me that's not such a bad thing.

Kitten, kitten, dog, stupid meme, political rant, kitten, Bulletdust, kitten... I can already imagine it :D

See if there is another IM program that will work with Facebook, it does not look like Pidgin will work with it anymore. (I did a quick search and the only things I found were from 2010, unfortunately.) On the other hand, this situation here does not surprise me, convince someone to switch to Linux, guy asks for help, no help is given from said convincers or worse, person told not to do what he clearly asked to do.

Edit: What about Trillian?

It's too bad people wish to just bash Facebook and Messenger instead of actually helping. I have no love for Facebook (I wish for it's death) but I will help the person who wants to move to Linux because that's what the Linux community should be doing regardless of personal feelings about Facebook.

Facebook has made it hard to use 3rd party apps like Pidgin. That said you could try Messenger for Desktop.

http://www.debugpoint.com/2017/01/facebook-messenger-desktop-app-linux/

It is open source and many distros have it in their package managers already.

Good Luck!

It's too bad people wish to just bash Facebook and Messenger instead of actually helping. I have no love for Facebook (I wish for it's death) but I will help the person who wants to move to Linux because that's what the Linux community should be doing regardless of personal feelings about Facebook.

Facebook has made it hard to use 3rd party apps like Pidgin. That said you could try Messenger for Desktop.

http://www.debugpoint.com/2017/01/facebook-messenger-desktop-app-linux/

It is open source and many distros have it in their package managers already.

Good Luck!

I agree. Don't bash \ troll me just help... lol. Thank you so much for this!

Or how about I just use it to connect with family?

Yeah like e-mail, sms and phone calls aren't invented. Why do you want to report your family business to Facebooks databases? Are you nuts?

Who's bashing? The OP wanted to use Pidgin, unfortunately that's not going to happen since Facebook disabled XMPP.

This was friendly discussion, if the OP wanted an opinion on an alternative all he had to do was ask. Good on the OP for switching to Linux.

Last edited:
As Vermillion stated, messenger for Desktop works perfectly, probably far better than Pidgin and is also avaliable as a quick and easy .deb installer for a GUI installation process not unlike Windows. See below:

https://messengerfordesktop.com/#download

Be sure to skip the Chrome plugin on install, no idea what that's about.

I find it really interesting how our two Windows calamity acts are only too keen to attack in the forums, but tell them to take it to PM and they run off with their tail between their legs.

Anyone have any success in using Pidgin with facebook on Linux?

Years ago Facebook disabled the XMPP option but users are claiming they have been using it with a workaround. Anyone that can help would be amazing.
I'm a Linux neophyte and I don't use instant messaging on Linux or Windows, but I see that Empathy claims to work on Facebook so you might want to give it a try. I see it is a Gnome desktop environment messaging application so it may or may not work for you. I know this is not the most helpful of posts, but I hope you do find this at least a bit helpful.

As Vermillion stated, messenger for Desktop works perfectly, probably far better than Pidgin and is also avaliable as a quick and easy .deb installer for a GUI installation process not unlike Windows. See below:

https://messengerfordesktop.com/#download

Be sure to skip the Chrome plugin on install, no idea what that's about.

I find it really interesting how our two Windows calamity acts are only too keen to attack in the forums, but tell them to take it to PM and they run off with their tail between their legs.

Got messenger for desktop to work flawlessly. So appreciative as well for the suggestions guys! Thank you!

Back