Linux noob here - Could I replace Windows with Ubuntu?

Gaming is improving all the time, gaming under linux has improved considerably in the last few years, and in relation to office tasks I see no reason why, if given the chance, I coulden't actually replace my work Windows PC with a PC equipped with a modern distro of Linux.

Gaming is improving all the time, gaming under linux has improved considerably in the last few years, and in relation to office tasks I see no reason why, if given the chance, I coulden't actually replace my work Windows PC with a PC equipped with a modern distro of Linux.

I have nothing against LibreOffice but my girlfriend, for example, prefer MS office all the way and hates LibreOffice.

Also about actual UI of Ubuntu or Kubuntu. It is different from Windows. so , if person uses and likes windows you will see him not wishing to study new UI. It is like switching from windows 7 to windows 8 Metro. i still hate windows 8 metro UI though I'm slowly adapting to it. But veeeery slowly :)

Last edited:
Not meaning to take the piss, but Nvidia drivers under Linux are fantastic! My venrable GT210 2GB is actually puite playable when gaming at 1680 x 1050.

....Which surprises the hell out of me, being a GT210 and all..?

Which is why I bought my first Geforce today after being devoted ATI fan for a decade.

Why LOL?

Defenetelly, there is little difference in browsing web with Ubuntu or Windows. But for office tasks , gaming and media consumption Windows is still better. It is my opinion and it might differ from your opinion.

Surfing with Windows is extremely risky, there are several drive-by infection risks in the wild. Surfing with linux then again has no such known threats.

I prefer to surf with linux.

I have nothing against LibreOffice but my girlfriend, for example, prefer MS office all the way and hates LibreOffice.

Also about actual UI of Ubuntu or Kubuntu. It is different from Windows. so , if person uses and likes windows you will see him not wishing to study new UI. It is like switching from windows 7 to windows 8 Metro. i still hate windows 8 metro UI though I'm slowly adapting to it. But veeeery slowly :)

I run Windows, I run Linux and I also have a MorphOS rig.

MorphOS is a learning curve, My PC's running Linux Mint 16 are not, in fact Mint 16 is not that dissimilar to Windows at all.

As stated, my mother can run a Mint 16 PC just fine, if she can, anyone can.

If I showed you a screenshot of my Windows rig you would see the desktop looks virtually identical to the desktop of my Linux rig pictured above, the only real difference is that my Windows rig spans it's desktop across four monitors. If I installed Mint 16 on my Windows rig tommrow (and believe me, I'm so close) the only piece of software I would miss is Battlefield 4....Honestly, that's it.

Everything else, including a number of games I play, I can run natively under Linux. And this Linux PC runs a hardware spec that's so far below my Windows rig it's just not funny, yet it boots in the fraction of the time (even beats Windows 8.1 in boot time) and is stupidly fast considering it's spec.

I run Windows, I run Linux and I also have a MorphOS rig.

MorphOS is a learning curve, My PC's running Linux Mint 16 are not, in fact Mint 16 is not that dissimilar to Windows at all.

Linux Mint looks very similar to Windows XP/7 UI. I should defenetelly try it instead of Ubuntu.

Back