Linux neckbeards are its worst enemy

MrCrispy

2[H]4U
Case in point - systemd.

Years after every major distro has adopted it, you still hear whining from the neckbeards. And yet you'll never hear an actual technical reason, its all about 'not Unixy', 'Lennart is evil' blah blah. Never mind that the old way was a slow, kludgy unreliable mess, and no one wanted to fix it.

This whole attitude of 'any change is bad' is why Linux is still stuck with X, a tech designed for dumb terminals, while there's been talk of Wayland for decades, why Windows and OSX both have modern CoW filesystems and the best Unix fs is still ZFS (developed by an enterprise) and not used by Linux with no hope of btrfs ever being finished or adopted.

Okay rant over :)

Fuck the neckbeards. X works, Wayland is at the state of Pulseaudio years ago, assuming you have issues (most don't) you're just swapping one set of issues for another.

And Linux filesystems crap all over the offerings by Apple and Microsoft, hence one of the reasons the OS is so suited to server application.

Moving on....

Last edited:
I like systemd as an init system, and journald is a much-needed improvement for logging, but holy hell I don't get why it needs to weasel its way into every aspect of the OS that isn't the kernel itself or userland. Half the time it's worse than what it tries to replace (e.g., systemd-resolvd).

So.. about these beards. Obviously, we need honest feedback from people with maintained and manly beards or else what's the point? My question is, what can the community do about it?

Back