Linux Mint Won't Instal

I am completely new to this forum, so if I did something wrong (posted in the wrong area etc...) please let me know.
Anyway I tried to instal Linux Mint on a very old computer and when I got to the part "instal Linux Mint" icon, I would click on it and after five minutes, the computer froze. I would wait a hour and nothing would happen. I then would restart it, and vola! It would work, until I click it again. Please help me find a way to get the computer to work!

P.S. I almost forgot to say, before I got it, the hard drive was wiped.

Does Mint have a alternative text based installer? I know some distros do and those tend to work better for older computers in my experiences

I would have no clue. I know little about computers. If you tell my how to figure out, I'll tell you;)

Oh, and My brother gave me the disk, helped me through half of it and told me to figure the rest out.

machine specs? mint 11 is really picky and wants newer hardware for a full install..

Yes, let us know the specs....could me a memory issue or video card issue...

Also, as an earlier post stated, you might want to make sure you install just via text and not run the graphical piece.

Once we have the specs, we can possibly offer some suggestions...

--Jeff

Yes, let us know the specs....could me a memory issue or video card issue...

Also, as an earlier post stated, you might want to make sure you install just via text and not run the graphical piece.

Once we have the specs, we can possibly offer some suggestions...

--Jeff

how do I find the specs????

Well, if it's a Dell or HP and has a model number, you should be able to go to their site or Google and get what was supplied with that computer. If that's not possible or it's a non-named brand you can open it and look...

Otherwise it's hard to pinpoint what could be causing the installation to stop.

I found the following link at Linux Mint's forum...it could be that the amount of memory is an issue...
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=82027

It states in there that you might want to download Mint LXDE and burn that to a disc or thumb drive and use that on older systems.

Hopefully this is helpful to you.

The computer might have been home build and I opened it up, were do I look? ( I know parts of a computer, just don't know were to look. :eek:)

just turn it on, go into the bios and it should tell the processor, ammount of ram, and hdd size.. that information would be helpfull enough

HDD= 8gb
processor= 450mhz

no clue what this is= BIOS (p2-99)

P.S. I got to the bios and all I can do is change settings It doesn't show me anything else. Do you want a picture of it?

Hello,

I've installed Mint across a handful of systems and haven't had any major issues. You might want to confirm that your disk is ok. In most cases of OS install failures, it's been a faulty disk that was the problem and not the actual OS.

You can download the new ISO from here.

http://www.linuxmint.com/

Then you can burn the ISO using a blank CD or DVD depending on the ISO you download.

If you need a ISO burner you can use www.imgburn.com for one, it's free and works well.

For some reason it only boots withe a floppy, every time I try with a cd, it says "disk boot failure, try again and press enter" or something like that.

Back