Linux Mint on Abit AT8 32X (socket 939)

Astrowind

Weaksauce
I'm just asking before I try it. Does anyone know if Linux Mint will find the drivers for this? It had an Xpress 3200 chipet. Do you think I should try in 32-bit or go ahead and install in 64-bit anyway?

I had ubuntu on a sister board to that one. It's going to be a toss up though. That is a 12-13 year old board.

Ubuntu has dropped or will drop much of the legacy support, including 32-bit support. I would recommend to try Debian instead.

I wouldn't bother trying to run a 32 bit OS on 64 bit hardware unless there's a specific reason to do so.

I'm not familiar with that chipset but unless it or the motherboard has some really oddball stuff I don't see why support would be an issue. I'm running OpenSUSE Leap on a Q6600 with a 965P Intel chipset and there are no issues with it. The 965P was the first chipset released for socket 775 with support for the Core2 CPUs so it has been around for quite a while.

I just tried a dual-boot Linux Mint & Windows 8.1 on an Asus M3A78-EM with Athlon 5400+ dual-core with 2GB of RAM. I installed both in 32-bit and actually got messages saying "cannot install...". Is it possible because I installed in 32-bit instead of 64-bit? I mean even free games would not install.

I just tried a dual-boot Linux Mint & Windows 8.1 on an Asus M3A78-EM with Athlon 5400+ dual-core with 2GB of RAM. I installed both in 32-bit and actually got messages saying "cannot install...". Is it possible because I installed in 32-bit instead of 64-bit? I mean even free games would not install.

I'm a bit confused about what you mean.

Did you actually get the OS's installed and now you cannot install games, or did you not get anything installed and if that's the case, what's with the game reference?

Uh, I mean I have 2 operating systems and both had messages certain programs wouldn't install. I think it's due to them both being 32-bit. I think the browsers/games were in 64-bit.

Why not just install the 64bit OS? From experience software compatibility under 32bit isn't great.

Cool, I just installed Win8.1 in 64-bit. So, what did I notice? Unreal Tournament can now install inside the Epic Games launcher. However, I got a message saying the Nvidia driver I'm using has issues. So I tried installing newer versions and all had messages saying the (newer) drivers were incompatible. Oh well, the main point I was trying to achieve was just to warm up the CPU making sure the thermal interface material would better bond with the heatsink once I replaced the heatsink.

Cool, I just installed Win8.1 in 64-bit. So, what did I notice? Unreal Tournament can now install inside the Epic Games launcher. However, I got a message saying the Nvidia driver I'm using has issues. So I tried installing newer versions and all had messages saying the (newer) drivers were incompatible. Oh well, the main point I was trying to achieve was just to warm up the CPU making sure the thermal interface material would better bond with the heatsink once I replaced the heatsink.

This isn't a requirement. Once the heatsink is tightened down, that's it. The paste will never flow to fill areas and it certainly doesn't need to bond.

If your aim is to play games with that prehistoric board, give up while you're ahead. It doesn't even support DDR2 lol.

If your aim is to play games with that prehistoric board, give up while you're ahead. It doesn't even support DDR2 lol.
Oh yeah. It's an old machine I can use to try things I'm too afraid to do on another machine. Like clicking on an unknown link or even trying "classic shell". By the way, that classic shell is really cool to me. I thought about trying to learn how to use the regular Win8.1 desktop but found it so confusing I actually found using classic shell in Win7 mode made it way easier for me to find things like the power sleep settings.

Oh yeah. It's an old machine I can use to try things I'm too afraid to do on another machine. Like clicking on an unknown link or even trying "classic shell". By the way, that classic shell is really cool to me. I thought about trying to learn how to use the regular Win8.1 desktop but found it so confusing I actually found using classic shell in Win7 mode made it way easier for me to find things like the power sleep settings.

The way Windows 8 and 10 changes the menus used to drive me nuts, especially after so many versions that had an easy to use control panel. I got over it by just opening the start menu (or pressing Windows + Q) and typing what I want. It's faster that way.

I wouldn't use windows for any kind of link clicking! If you get your machine infected, a trojan downloader can pull a worm off the internet and infect all the other windows boxes in your lan.

Do _not_ think you can safely click stuff with an outdated computer and outdated Windows. Nothing could be further from the truth.

You need to isolate the computer to a DMZ zone or it's own private net and use Puppy linux which runs 100% in ram and boots off a read only USB.

Back