Linux Mint boot parition?

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
I've recently loaded Mint Cimmamon on 2 boxes and both show the boot partition as being FAT32. Both installs were to empty freshly formatted SSD's of which I deleted the former partions (One was Windows and the other Linux). Is this as it's supposed to be or did I miss something? :confused:

I've recently loaded Mint Cimmamon on 2 boxes and both show the boot partition as being FAT32. Both installs were to empty freshly formatted SSD's of which I deleted the former partions (One was Windows and the other Linux). Is this as it's supposed to be or did I miss something? :confused:
Think grub/bios requires fat, but uefi is less picky.

I'm pretty shaky on boot stuff, but I'm assuming this is a requirement of UEFI boot, it must be >100MB in size and FAT32 partition and that is what they set to default.

I'm pretty shaky on boot stuff, but I'm assuming this is a requirement of UEFI boot, it must be >100MB in size and FAT32 partition and that is what they set to default.
The EFI system partition does, but Boot need not be.

Edit: correction: the BIOS boot partition (required if booting in compat mode on a gpt partitioned disk) needs to be FAT also, iirc.

Last edited:
Back