Linux Mint 18.3 to 19.x upgrade

I still use windows 7/10 but gave Linux Mint a try a few years ago with version 18.x on a spare laptop. After upgrading from 18.3 to 19.x, I noticed that version 19 seems slower than my old 18.3, especially it's noticeable during booting. So my question: should I have performed a clean install instead of an upgrade? I also may decide to upgrade to version 20 which will be released sometime shortly (they stated this month). If the upgrade goes well, but still suffers from performance, I'll try a fresh install.

Boot performance is no indication of performance. I wouldn't give it a second of thought personally. You don't need to reboot linux all the time like Windows.

Thanks for the response. It could be the old laptop. It's a Lenovo T60. I'm going to try the new version 20 when it comes out on a fresh SSD since it takes only a minute to replace the hard drive.

I was always a fan of the 4:3 Thinkpads. I had a couple X60/X61s back in the day.

I would just wait and do a fresh OS install on the SSD when you install it. Depending on the visual upgrades, etc. to the GUI, you might want to start looking at a lighter version (XFCE?) with the older laptop.

I would not lay all of my cards on the boot performance. If you want better Boot performance then get an SSD. That ought to give you some relief.
And it does not matter how much time it takes to boot Linux, you don't have to boot or reboot it too many times, unlike Windows.
As the laptop is old and the software is new, you may be facing that issue. You could use an SSD as I mentioned earlier to solve the issue.

Back