Linux Mint 15 with KDE

Blacklash

[H]ard|Gawd
If you're on something like Win 7 and you've been toying with the idea of trying Linux, give Mint 15 with KDE a whirl. I adapted to it fairly quickly.

I've been experimenting with it off of a bootable usb drive. I used the Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.3.9 to create it.

It's solid for general use and multimedia. I've not had issues yet. Processor and GPU = FX 6300 @ 4.66GHz and GTX 660.

Good info, thanks! I've heard good things about MINT

Have you tried Ubuntu at all? If so how do the two compare?

Linux Mint is based off of Ubuntu, which is based off of Debian. They're both good for newcomers to Linux, although lately Linux Mint has been getting better reviews than Ubuntu.

When you go to check out Linux Mint, keep in mind that the different versions, Mate, Cinnamon, KDE, etc. are all just the different desktop environments you can choose from. Basically, different desktop systems that are different in their own ways.

KDE is very full-featured. I'm personally using Cinnamon, I find it's easy to use but doesn't get int the way. Here's what my current desktop looks like: Link

Dual desktop, Cairo Dock is what is used as the bottom dock. It's a little OS X like, but not too much. I like it for opening programs and folders.

Not to derail the KDE comment, but choice of DE is very much up to personal preference. Gotta try them all!

I didn't try Ubuntu long enough to make a fair assessment of it.

MInt 15 with KDE is ready to handle most all multimedia as soon as it boots.

I'd agree with Citizen86, folks should try different versions and DE for themselves.

I had an easy time flowing from Win 7 to Mint 15 with KDE, that's why I suggested it.
It's slick and felt similar.

Eventually, I will try Mint 15 with Cinnamon, MATE and then Xfce simply to compare.

Last edited:
Good to hear Blacklash, not everyone has the same easy transition from Windows.

Also, if you're new to Linux, don't be afraid of the command line. It's your friend, not your enemy :D

Citizen86,

Feedback from experienced Linux users is more than welcome in this thread; it's not a "derail" at all.

Yes, I'm tackling the command line business now; I'm working on getting Steam and Skyrim up and running.

So far I've got the nVidia 319.32 driver working correctly, go me :p

For any Steam games that aren't Linux based, I'd suggest using PlayOnLinux.

Also, make sure you get the updated version, you can follow these instructions: http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/ppa/playonlinux

I don't use everything PlayOnLinux has to offer, but I do use it for separated installations of Wine when I need them. Sometimes programs/games need specific installations of whatever, so having them in their own Wine installation helps tremendously.

Ah very good. Thanks for the link.

I'm looking into Wine now. As I said, my goal is to get my Steam version of Skyrim up and going on Mint 15 with KDE.
It's mostly what I play.

Back