Linux Mint 13 KDE Released

I don't dabble much with Linux anymore, but when I did Linux Mint was a really good choice.

Oh goodie, I can update my recovery OS now :p

Still, it's nice to see the Linux community continuing to improve distros. Mint is the best of them all imo.

Fan on my video card went to max speed on booting this release . Scared the shit out of me so...think I'll wait.

After moving to a rolling release distro, I don't know how anyone can get a distro that you have to wait every 6 months for updates. (at least for desktop non 99.9% uptime mission critical stuff)

I wonder if networking will work for me now. Last version, both network and sound wouldn't work.

gotta give it a try though. I really need to get away from mickeymouse windows.

Still a linux newb here. But I give it a go every now and then. The price is right. :p

I'm installing the 64bit version on an old dual socket AMD setup with a pair of dual core opteron cpu's, 4GB ram, 80GB Intel SSD and an old Plextor DVD. So far this distro has spit out a Matrox G400 and ATi X800 pro. I could get it to "work" but was limited to 1024x768. Trying to get a 9800 AIW pro to work as I type.. it's thinking about it. Hope it works.. I'm just about all out of AGP cards and their HW database claimed it would work perfectly.

Going to give this a shot on my keychain usb drive. I like having a good distro available everywhere I need it.
Edit: Whats really nice is the newest pendrivelinux install tool already has an option for it.

Well so far this release has spit out every agp video card in the house. Stuck at 1024x768.. almost forgot how much that res sucked. :p

Played around with a live boot USB copy for a bit. Do the "live" versions tend to have more stability issues? There were just some funny little problems I would run into from time to time that didn't make much sense.

Played around with a live boot USB copy for a bit. Do the "live" versions tend to have more stability issues? There were just some funny little problems I would run into from time to time that didn't make much sense.

What kind of problems?

In general, "live" versions have more up-to-date software, including drivers and the kernel.

On the application front, I was playing some FLACs (surprised that drivers worked for my STX), and the app would hang when I closed it, or tried to play a different file.

Tried installing updated nvidia drivers, and one of the packages refused to download.
Switching between OpenGL rendering and Xrender caused some odd screen issues.

Yes, I'm a Linux nub.

^^^ Absolute linux rookie here and I cannot get Mint to work nice with any of the AGP video cards I have laying about. I tried downloading the Matrox drivers but have not a clue what to do once I have the file uncompressed. Shame.. linux is coming along but drivers for it are less fun to work with than NT drivers. At least with NT all you needed to do was double click the exe. and pray. :p

At least with NT all you needed to do was double click the exe. and pray. :p

On linux, almost everything is downloaded from a repo. Unless its a small project, or some unknown program, no1 downloads tar files to compile for themselves.

How did your ATi X800 pro end up not working?

On linux, almost everything is downloaded from a repo. Unless its a small project, or some unknown program, no1 downloads tar files to compile for themselves.

How did your ATi X800 pro end up not working?

Would boot black screen. When it did get thru to the OS the highest available resolution was 1024x768.

Would boot black screen. When it did get thru to the OS the highest available resolution was 1024x768.

Have you tried updating your xorg drivers? Gallium3d supports the R420 chip series of Radeon GPUs, which is what your card falls under I believe.

I've always had a problem getting my Radeon HD 6950 working in Linux-- any distribution. I believe I posted my problems here and on the Linux forums months ago. Never did get any replies. *sigh*

Either the toolbar/panels disappear or the screen corrupts or the screen flashes yellow. Updating the Xorg drivers or other methods I found online, especially following Ubuntu's documentation never worked for me.

I'm probably going to just stick to Linux on my laptop and netbook instead of dual booting it on my desktop until I can find a sure-fire method of getting that Radeon card to work without issue.

I've always had a problem getting my Radeon HD 6950 working in Linux-- any distribution. I believe I posted my problems here and on the Linux forums months ago. Never did get any replies. *sigh*

Either the toolbar/panels disappear or the screen corrupts or the screen flashes yellow. Updating the Xorg drivers or other methods I found online, especially following Ubuntu's documentation never worked for me.

I'm probably going to just stick to Linux on my laptop and netbook instead of dual booting it on my desktop until I can find a sure-fire method of getting that Radeon card to work without issue.

You might try posting your question on LinuxQuestions.org. There aren't a lot of *nix people on this site.

What are the contents of your /var/log/Xorg.0.log file? Are you able to get to a terminal inside the desktop and run glxinfo?

On the application front, I was playing some FLACs (surprised that drivers worked for my STX), and the app would hang when I closed it, or tried to play a different file.

Tried installing updated nvidia drivers, and one of the packages refused to download.
Switching between OpenGL rendering and Xrender caused some odd screen issues.

Yes, I'm a Linux nub.

Installing drivers with a LiveCD can be kind of iffy because you have a read-only file system. I recommend using unetbootin to make a Live USB Drive instead.

There are two nVidia drivers for GNU/Linux :

1.nouveau - These are the free/open-source drivers that are produced by reverse-engineering various nVidia GPUs (nVidia does not release specifications on their GPUs like AMD or Intel does) and are generally the default in most GNU/Linux distributions for legal reasons. They lack support for a lot of the more advanced features.

2.NVIDIA Proprietary Drivers - These are the drivers you can get from NVIDIA's website. Most distributions also have facilities for fetching these automatically via their package managers. These are the most comprehensive drivers.

If you open a terminal, type glxinfo|grep vendor and then copy/paste the output here, I can tell you which one you are using.

Last edited:

A dual edge sword.. System too old? Drivers no workey. System too new? Drivers no workey. I would not mind dabbling with linux but I'm definitely not going to bother trying it on my desktop rig and it does not want to cooperate with the hardware in the spare I have available. Shame as I could use a free 64bit OS on that rig.. it's an older dual Opteron workstation/server.

A dual edge sword.. System too old? Drivers no workey. System too new? Drivers no workey. I would not mind dabbling with linux but I'm definitely not going to bother trying it on my desktop rig and it does not want to cooperate with the hardware in the spare I have available. Shame as I could use a free 64bit OS on that rig.. it's an older dual Opteron workstation/server.

Try deleting xorg.conf, rebooting, then post the updated Xorg.0.log. We need more info!!

Try deleting xorg.conf, rebooting, then post the updated Xorg.0.log. We need more info!!

Xorg.conf has been deprecated for some time in favor of individual configuration files in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d directory. In addition, in the majority of cases, you'll never have to touch those unless you are trying to configure advanced options as Xorg is capable of auto-detecting and auto-configuring most hardware.

Installing drivers with a LiveCD can be kind of iffy because you have a read-only file system. I recommend using unetbootin to make a Live USB Drive instead.

This is why I'm not upset. I was pretty sure that was the issue, so no biggy.

I did say I was a noob right? Well I meant it. :p WTF if is a Xorg.0.log? This is the type of stuff that keeps users like me off linux. Still far too much command line... if I loved all the typing command strings I'd have stuck with DOS. I have no idea where to locate the "Xorg.0.log". What drivers am I using? Beats me. Whatever the default is. here is what I can find from the HW "tab":

Driver: VMware
Renderer: Gallium
OGL: 2.1 Mesa
kernel Module: mga

My initial thought was that using a rig a few years old (it's not ancient) would be better as the driver database would be more mature and I would not have any of these issues.. guess they showed me. :D I'd really rather be using the x800 pro or at the very least the 9800AIW which someone in the hardware database claimed works "perfect". Not sure how they got there as when I tried to use mine with a fresh install all I got after the reboot was a blank screen.

All your help is appreciated but from reading around their forums for help it sure does not look like the video drivers are ready for prime time... lots of issues.. no one talking about it. Well. at least with a post that stays around for any length of time.

After moving to a rolling release distro, I don't know how anyone can get a distro that you have to wait every 6 months for updates. (at least for desktop non 99.9% uptime mission critical stuff)

This.

Back when I used Arch up til about a year ago I had fewer day-to-day issues on a "bleeding edge" distro than people posting on Ubuntu Forums with their "stable" 6 months old software.

Though Mint was always a nice pick.

I did say I was a noob right? Well I meant it. :p WTF if is a Xorg.0.log? This is the type of stuff that keeps users like me off linux. Still far too much command line... if I loved all the typing command strings I'd have stuck with DOS. I have no idea where to locate the "Xorg.0.log". What drivers am I using? Beats me. Whatever the default is. here is what I can find from the HW "tab":

Driver: VMware
Renderer: Gallium
OGL: 2.1 Mesa
kernel Module: mga

My initial thought was that using a rig a few years old (it's not ancient) would be better as the driver database would be more mature and I would not have any of these issues.. guess they showed me. :D I'd really rather be using the x800 pro or at the very least the 9800AIW which someone in the hardware database claimed works "perfect". Not sure how they got there as when I tried to use mine with a fresh install all I got after the reboot was a blank screen.

All your help is appreciated but from reading around their forums for help it sure does not look like the video drivers are ready for prime time... lots of issues.. no one talking about it. Well. at least with a post that stays around for any length of time.

It looks like you are running inside a virtual machine. What version of VMware are you running? Have you installed VMWare Tools?

As for xorg.0.log, that is the log file for your X Server (the basic graphical subsystem on *nix operating systems). It is usually located in the /var/log directory and can be opened by any text editor, graphical or otherwise. No command line knowledge is required to view it.

Last edited:
It looks like you are running inside a virtual machine. What version of VMware are you running?

As for xorg.0.log, that is the log file for your X Server (the basic graphical subsystem on *nix operating systems). It is usually located in the /var/log directory and can be opened by any text editor, graphical or otherwise. No command line knowledge is required to view it.

Wonder why I am running inside a virtual machine? I did not intend to do so if that's where I am at so I have no clue what version it might be. I did a full install on a 80GB SSD. It's the only drive in the system and it's new.. does not have another OS on it. :confused:

Wonder why I am running inside a virtual machine? I did not intend to do so if that's where I am at so I have no clue what version it might be. I did a full install on a 80GB SSD. It's the only drive in the system and it's new.. does not have another OS on it. :confused:

Are you able to access a file manager? Try navigating to /var/log. You should be able to double-click on Xorg.0.log and open it as you would a text file in Windows.

Are you able to access a file manager? Try navigating to /var/log. You should be able to double-click on Xorg.0.log and open it as you would a text file in Windows.

It's a good size wall of text. Here is to the first break:

[ 10.917]
X.Org X Server 1.11.3
Release Date: 2011-12-16
[ 10.919] X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
[ 10.919] Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-31-server x86_64 Ubuntu
[ 10.919] Current Operating System: Linux GaragePC 3.2.0-23-generic #36-Ubuntu SMP Tue Apr 10 20:39:51 UTC 2012 x86_64
[ 10.919] Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-23-generic root=UUID=6bafdf0b-129a-462d-9421-009066ddf0a0 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
[ 10.919] Build Date: 07 May 2012 11:43:21PM
[ 10.919] xorg-server 2:1.11.4-0ubuntu10.2 (For technical support please see http://www.ubuntu.com/support)
[ 10.919] Current version of pixman: 0.24.4
[ 10.919] Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
[ 10.919] Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
[ 10.919] (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Thu Jul 26 20:38:49 2012
[ 10.925] (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
[ 10.959] (==) No Layout section. Using the first Screen section.
[ 10.959] (==) No screen section available. Using defaults.
[ 10.959] (**) |-->Screen "Default Screen Section" (0)
[ 10.959] (**) | |-->Monitor "<default monitor>"
[ 10.961] (==) No monitor specified for screen "Default Screen Section".
Using a default monitor configuration.
[ 10.961] (==) Automatically adding devices
[ 10.961] (==) Automatically enabling devices
[ 10.965] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not exist.
[ 10.965] Entry deleted from font path.
[ 10.965] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/" does not exist.
[ 10.965] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/" does not exist.
[ 10.965] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi" does not exist.
[ 10.965] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi" does not exist.
[ 10.965] (WW) The directory "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType" does not exist.
[ 10.965] (==) FontPath set to:
/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc,
/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1,
built-ins
[ 10.965] (==) ModulePath set to "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/xorg/extra-modules,/usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules,/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
[ 10.965] (II) The server relies on udev to provide the list of input devices.
If no devices become available, reconfigure udev or disable AutoAddDevices.
[ 10.965] (II) Loader magic: 0x7f2dc86d8b00
[ 10.965] (II) Module ABI versions:
[ 10.965] X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.4
[ 10.965] X.Org Video Driver: 11.0
[ 10.965] X.Org XInput driver : 16.0
[ 10.965] X.Org Server Extension : 6.0
[ 10.966] (--) PCI:*(0:5:0:0) 102b:0525:102b:19d8 rev 4, Mem @ 0xee000000/33554432, 0xfeafc000/16384, 0xfe000000/8388608, BIOS @ 0x????????/65536
[ 10.966] (II) Open ACPI successful (/var/run/acpid.socket)
[ 10.966] (II) LoadModule: "extmod"
[ 10.968] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libextmod.so
[ 10.970] (II) Module extmod: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 10.970] compiled for 1.11.3, module version = 1.0.0
[ 10.970] Module class: X.Org Server Extension
[ 10.970] ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 6.0
[ 10.970] (II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
[ 10.970] (II) Loading extension XFree86-VidModeExtension
[ 10.970] (II) Loading extension XFree86-DGA
[ 10.970] (II) Loading extension DPMS
[ 10.970] (II) Loading extension XVideo
[ 10.970] (II) Loading extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
[ 10.970] (II) Loading extension X-Resource
[ 10.970] (II) LoadModule: "dbe"
[ 10.971] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdbe.so
[ 10.972] (II) Module dbe: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 10.972] compiled for 1.11.3, module version = 1.0.0
[ 10.972] Module class: X.Org Server Extension
[ 10.972] ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 6.0
[ 10.972] (II) Loading extension DOUBLE-BUFFER
[ 10.972] (II) LoadModule: "glx"
[ 10.972] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
[ 10.979] (II) Module glx: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 10.979] compiled for 1.11.3, module version = 1.0.0
[ 10.979] ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 6.0
[ 10.979] (==) AIGLX enabled
[ 10.979] (II) Loading extension GLX
[ 10.980] (II) LoadModule: "record"
[ 10.980] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/librecord.so
[ 10.982] (II) Module record: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 10.982] compiled for 1.11.3, module version = 1.13.0
[ 10.982] Module class: X.Org Server Extension
[ 10.982] ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 6.0
[ 10.982] (II) Loading extension RECORD
[ 10.982] (II) LoadModule: "dri"
[ 10.982] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdri.so
[ 10.985] (II) Module dri: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 10.985] compiled for 1.11.3, module version = 1.0.0
[ 10.985] ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 6.0
[ 10.985] (II) Loading extension XFree86-DRI
[ 10.985] (II) LoadModule: "dri2"
[ 10.985] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdri2.so
[ 10.986] (II) Module dri2: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 10.986] compiled for 1.11.3, module version = 1.2.0
[ 10.986] ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 6.0
[ 10.986] (II) Loading extension DRI2
[ 10.986] (==) Matched mga as autoconfigured driver 0
[ 10.986] (==) Matched vesa as autoconfigured driver 1
[ 10.986] (==) Matched fbdev as autoconfigured driver 2
[ 10.986] (==) Assigned the driver to the xf86ConfigLayout
[ 10.986] (II) LoadModule: "mga"
[ 10.987] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/mga_drv.so
[ 10.991] (II) Module mga: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 10.991] compiled for 1.11.3, module version = 1.4.13
[ 10.991] Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[ 10.991] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 11.0
[ 10.991] (II) LoadModule: "vesa"
[ 10.991] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/vesa_drv.so
[ 10.993] (II) Module vesa: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 10.993] compiled for 1.11.3, module version = 2.3.0
[ 10.993] Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[ 10.993] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 11.0
[ 10.993] (II) LoadModule: "fbdev"
[ 10.993] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fbdev_drv.so
[ 10.994] (II) Module fbdev: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 10.994] compiled for 1.11.3, module version = 0.4.2
[ 10.994] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 11.0
[ 10.995] (II) MGA: driver for Matrox chipsets: mga2064w, mga1064sg, mga2164w,
mga2164w AGP, mgag100, mgag100 PCI, mgag200, mgag200 PCI,
mgag200 SE A PCI, mgag200 SE B PCI, mgag200 EV Maxim,
mgag200 ER SH7757, mgag200 eW Nuvoton, mgag200eH, mgag400, mgag550
[ 10.995] (II) VESA: driver for VESA chipsets: vesa
[ 10.995] (II) FBDEV: driver for framebuffer: fbdev
[ 10.995] (++) using VT number 7

It goes on..

Try putting it on Pastebin : http://pastebin.com/

Does your system have more than one video card? Onboard video?

From the beginning of the log file, it looks like it is loading the Matrox driver and then reverting to the VESA driver (VESA is basically the lowest common denominator; it works with all graphics cards made since the late 80s/early 90s but is limited to 1024x768).

Last edited:
Try putting it on Pastebin : http://pastebin.com/

Does your system have more than one video card? Onboard video?

From the beginning of the log file, it looks like it is loading the Matrox driver and then reverting to the VESA driver (VESA is basically the lowest common denominator; it works with all graphics cards made since the late 80s/early 90s but is limited to 1024x768).

No onboard. No dual GPU. Just whatever I put into the AGP slot. And it does the same thing with Radeons and the Matrox card. I'm looking around to see if I have an old NV card somewhere.

Back