Linux Mint 13 KDE Released

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by HardOCP News, Jul 25, 2012.

1. HardOCP News

HardOCP News [H] News

The Mint development team just announced the release of Linux Mint 13 KDE. All you alternative OS types out there should head on over and check it out.

2. ballistic90

ballistic90 2[H]4U

I don't dabble much with Linux anymore, but when I did Linux Mint was a really good choice.

3. XamediX

XamediX 2[H]4U

Looks nice. I'm still running Mint 10 for my Ruby Dev work. Heh

4. LastQuestion

LastQuestion Limp Gawd

Oh goodie, I can update my recovery OS now :p

Still, it's nice to see the Linux community continuing to improve distros. Mint is the best of them all imo.

5. bucket

bucket [H]ard|Gawd

Fan on my video card went to max speed on booting this release . Scared the shit out of me so...think I'll wait.

6. Cheetoz

Cheetoz [H]ard|Gawd

After moving to a rolling release distro, I don't know how anyone can get a distro that you have to wait every 6 months for updates. (at least for desktop non 99.9% uptime mission critical stuff)

7. TechSys

TechSys [H]Lite

I wonder if networking will work for me now. Last version, both network and sound wouldn't work.

gotta give it a try though. I really need to get away from mickeymouse windows.

8. Evil Scooter

Evil Scooter [H]ard|Gawd

Still a linux newb here. But I give it a go every now and then. The price is right. :p

I'm installing the 64bit version on an old dual socket AMD setup with a pair of dual core opteron cpu's, 4GB ram, 80GB Intel SSD and an old Plextor DVD. So far this distro has spit out a Matrox G400 and ATi X800 pro. I could get it to "work" but was limited to 1024x768. Trying to get a 9800 AIW pro to work as I type.. it's thinking about it. Hope it works.. I'm just about all out of AGP cards and their HW database claimed it would work perfectly.

9. AltTabbins

AltTabbins [H]ard as it Gets

Going to give this a shot on my keychain usb drive. I like having a good distro available everywhere I need it.
    Edit: Whats really nice is the newest pendrivelinux install tool already has an option for it.

10. Evil Scooter

Evil Scooter [H]ard|Gawd

Well so far this release has spit out every agp video card in the house. Stuck at 1024x768.. almost forgot how much that res sucked. :p

11. damicatz

damicatz 2[H]4U

Out of curiosity, what drivers are you using for the ATI cards?

12. Ruoh

Ruoh [H]ardness Supreme

Played around with a live boot USB copy for a bit. Do the "live" versions tend to have more stability issues? There were just some funny little problems I would run into from time to time that didn't make much sense.

13. damicatz

damicatz 2[H]4U

What kind of problems?

In general, "live" versions have more up-to-date software, including drivers and the kernel.

14. Ruoh

Ruoh [H]ardness Supreme

On the application front, I was playing some FLACs (surprised that drivers worked for my STX), and the app would hang when I closed it, or tried to play a different file.

Tried installing updated nvidia drivers, and one of the packages refused to download.
    Switching between OpenGL rendering and Xrender caused some odd screen issues.

Yes, I'm a Linux nub.

15. Evil Scooter

Evil Scooter [H]ard|Gawd

^^^ Absolute linux rookie here and I cannot get Mint to work nice with any of the AGP video cards I have laying about. I tried downloading the Matrox drivers but have not a clue what to do once I have the file uncompressed. Shame.. linux is coming along but drivers for it are less fun to work with than NT drivers. At least with NT all you needed to do was double click the exe. and pray. :p

16. Cheetoz

Cheetoz [H]ard|Gawd

On linux, almost everything is downloaded from a repo. Unless its a small project, or some unknown program, no1 downloads tar files to compile for themselves.

How did your ATi X800 pro end up not working?

17. Evil Scooter

Evil Scooter [H]ard|Gawd

Would boot black screen. When it did get thru to the OS the highest available resolution was 1024x768.

18. nOrVow

nOrVow Gawd

Have you tried updating your xorg drivers? Gallium3d supports the R420 chip series of Radeon GPUs, which is what your card falls under I believe.

19. octoberasian

octoberasian 2[H]4U

I've always had a problem getting my Radeon HD 6950 working in Linux-- any distribution. I believe I posted my problems here and on the Linux forums months ago. Never did get any replies. *sigh*

Either the toolbar/panels disappear or the screen corrupts or the screen flashes yellow. Updating the Xorg drivers or other methods I found online, especially following Ubuntu's documentation never worked for me.

I'm probably going to just stick to Linux on my laptop and netbook instead of dual booting it on my desktop until I can find a sure-fire method of getting that Radeon card to work without issue.

20. damicatz

damicatz 2[H]4U

You might try posting your question on LinuxQuestions.org. There aren't a lot of *nix people on this site.

What are the contents of your /var/log/Xorg.0.log file? Are you able to get to a terminal inside the desktop and run glxinfo?

Installing drivers with a LiveCD can be kind of iffy because you have a read-only file system. I recommend using unetbootin to make a Live USB Drive instead.

There are two nVidia drivers for GNU/Linux :

1.nouveau - These are the free/open-source drivers that are produced by reverse-engineering various nVidia GPUs (nVidia does not release specifications on their GPUs like AMD or Intel does) and are generally the default in most GNU/Linux distributions for legal reasons. They lack support for a lot of the more advanced features.

2.NVIDIA Proprietary Drivers - These are the drivers you can get from NVIDIA's website. Most distributions also have facilities for fetching these automatically via their package managers. These are the most comprehensive drivers.

If you open a terminal, type glxinfo|grep vendor and then copy/paste the output here, I can tell you which one you are using.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  21. Evil Scooter

Evil Scooter [H]ard|Gawd

A dual edge sword.. System too old? Drivers no workey. System too new? Drivers no workey. I would not mind dabbling with linux but I'm definitely not going to bother trying it on my desktop rig and it does not want to cooperate with the hardware in the spare I have available. Shame as I could use a free 64bit OS on that rig.. it's an older dual Opteron workstation/server.

22. nOrVow

nOrVow Gawd

Try deleting xorg.conf, rebooting, then post the updated Xorg.0.log. We need more info!!

23. damicatz

damicatz 2[H]4U

Xorg.conf has been deprecated for some time in favor of individual configuration files in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d directory. In addition, in the majority of cases, you'll never have to touch those unless you are trying to configure advanced options as Xorg is capable of auto-detecting and auto-configuring most hardware.

24. Cheetoz

Cheetoz [H]ard|Gawd

with which driver?

25. Ruoh

Ruoh [H]ardness Supreme

This is why I'm not upset. I was pretty sure that was the issue, so no biggy.

26. Evil Scooter

Evil Scooter [H]ard|Gawd

I did say I was a noob right? Well I meant it. :p WTF if is a Xorg.0.log? This is the type of stuff that keeps users like me off linux. Still far too much command line... if I loved all the typing command strings I'd have stuck with DOS. I have no idea where to locate the "Xorg.0.log". What drivers am I using? Beats me. Whatever the default is. here is what I can find from the HW "tab":

Driver: VMware
    Renderer: Gallium
    OGL: 2.1 Mesa
    kernel Module: mga

My initial thought was that using a rig a few years old (it's not ancient) would be better as the driver database would be more mature and I would not have any of these issues.. guess they showed me. :D I'd really rather be using the x800 pro or at the very least the 9800AIW which someone in the hardware database claimed works "perfect". Not sure how they got there as when I tried to use mine with a fresh install all I got after the reboot was a blank screen.

All your help is appreciated but from reading around their forums for help it sure does not look like the video drivers are ready for prime time... lots of issues.. no one talking about it. Well. at least with a post that stays around for any length of time.

27. Skripka

Skripka [H]ardForum Junkie

This.

Back when I used Arch up til about a year ago I had fewer day-to-day issues on a "bleeding edge" distro than people posting on Ubuntu Forums with their "stable" 6 months old software.

Though Mint was always a nice pick.

28. damicatz

damicatz 2[H]4U

It looks like you are running inside a virtual machine. What version of VMware are you running? Have you installed VMWare Tools?

As for xorg.0.log, that is the log file for your X Server (the basic graphical subsystem on *nix operating systems). It is usually located in the /var/log directory and can be opened by any text editor, graphical or otherwise. No command line knowledge is required to view it.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  29. Evil Scooter

Evil Scooter [H]ard|Gawd

Wonder why I am running inside a virtual machine? I did not intend to do so if that's where I am at so I have no clue what version it might be. I did a full install on a 80GB SSD. It's the only drive in the system and it's new.. does not have another OS on it. :confused:

30. damicatz

damicatz 2[H]4U

Are you able to access a file manager? Try navigating to /var/log. You should be able to double-click on Xorg.0.log and open it as you would a text file in Windows.

31. Evil Scooter

Evil Scooter [H]ard|Gawd

It's a good size wall of text. Here is to the first break:

It goes on..

32. damicatz

damicatz 2[H]4U

Try putting it on Pastebin : http://pastebin.com/

Does your system have more than one video card? Onboard video?

From the beginning of the log file, it looks like it is loading the Matrox driver and then reverting to the VESA driver (VESA is basically the lowest common denominator; it works with all graphics cards made since the late 80s/early 90s but is limited to 1024x768).

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  33. Evil Scooter

Evil Scooter [H]ard|Gawd

No onboard. No dual GPU. Just whatever I put into the AGP slot. And it does the same thing with Radeons and the Matrox card. I'm looking around to see if I have an old NV card somewhere.

34. Cheetoz

Cheetoz [H]ard|Gawd

what does this show?
    Code:
    dmesg | egrep "drm|radeon"
    and also
    Code:
    inxi -xG
    (you paste it in a terminal)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012