Linux market share continuing to grow for the month of July.

I think Linux already dominates/is about to dominate the markets it shines in (smartphones, servers, science sector/research, "thin" devices like Chromebooks). I don't think it will ever be a mainstream user OS unless you consider macOS linux-like. In my day job I work with physicists and grad students from top public and private universities and I've seen precisely 0 of them ever using anything other than Linux or macOS. My guess is mainstream users will gradually move to cloud-based platforms where the OS isn't doing much more than being a thin-client anyways.

Completely agree. The "desktops" days are numbered really... and the number of people using Laptops / Tablets / Phones not always connected drops everyday. If you are always connected chromeos does the job better then a "full" os like Linux,Mac, or windows. The masses simply don't need much other then a browser anymore. Even the old stand bye consumer software sales like Tax return software is going cloud based.

If Google doesn't try and go after the PC gaming market... they may win gaming it in the end with little change anyway. As game streaming becomes a realistic mainstream option in 5-10 years "android" type boxes, and netflix like gaming apps will become the norm for gaming.

My little relevant data point: In my day job I work with physicists and grad students from top public and private universities and I've seen precisely 0 of them ever using anything other than Linux or macOS.

How fascinating. One thing that is interesting is that in the last few months OSX/macOS market share has actually seen a decline (based on the same net counter, so be sceptical at best), I'm wondering whether it's got anything to do with people's disappointment in the latest Apple products?

https://www.netmarketshare.com/repo...ac&qpcustomb=0&qpsp=205&qpnp=19&qptimeframe=M

Completely agree. The "desktops" days are numbered really... and the number of people using Laptops / Tablets / Phones not always connected drops everyday. If you are always connected chromeos does the job better then a "full" os like Linux,Mac, or windows. The masses simply don't need much other then a browser anymore. Even the old stand bye consumer software sales like Tax return software is going cloud based.

If Google doesn't try and go after the PC gaming market... they may win gaming it in the end with little change anyway. As game streaming becomes a realistic mainstream option in 5-10 years "android" type boxes, and netflix like gaming apps will become the norm for gaming.

Always connected isn't the same as well connected. I'm "always" connected wherever I go these days, like everyone else. My mobile bandwidth compared to my landline bandwidth is a joke but I do have a higher end landline connection than most in the US, needed for work. Maybe 5G will solve the problem.

Exactly, the thread title is Linux market share continuing to grow for the month of July. It is not: Windows vs Linux gaming market share under Steam, nor is it: Heatlessssun rambles on about the same rhetoric regarding the percentage of gaming titles released under Windows that no one cares about.

Nothing new in the Linux versus Windows debate has truly been introduced in two decades. Driver fixes here, an improvement there, etc. Windows is Windows because of market share and there's a far higher degree that at least new PC hardware and software will run on Windows. I've said repeatedly I have no problem with using Linux but I simply can't abandon everything I need and want of a PC simply because of other peoples' sense of morality. I have to make a living, and in the US these days, making sure you have a paycheck if the highest sense of morality there is.

Nothing new in the Linux versus Windows debate has truly been introduced in two decades. Driver fixes here, an improvement there, etc. Windows is Windows because of market share and there's a far higher degree that at least new PC hardware and software will run on Windows. I've said repeatedly I have no problem with using Linux but I simply can't abandon everything I need and want of a PC simply because of other peoples' sense of morality. I have to make a living, and in the US these days, making sure you have a paycheck if the highest sense of morality there is.

And I've never stated there is any issue with this, the problem is that you apply your wants and needs out of a PC to 100% of the population, and you cannot do that.

For instance, I need to make a living also, and Linux allows me to do that better than Windows does. I'm not for a second implying that my wants and needs out of a PC apply to 100% of the population, but I'm definitely implying that there are a great many people out there that don't need Windows in order to cover 100% of the computing needs in their daily lives.

Linux is not a wasteland with nothing to offer, Linux is a fully fledged, stable, capable and polished operating system with a plethora of cross platform and native applications that work amazingly - Furthermore, people are beginning to notice this. This was not the case two decades ago, every time you mention the past like this you are clutching at a shread of negativity that no longer exists.

How fascinating. One thing that is interesting is that in the last few months OSX/macOS market share has actually seen a decline (based on the same net counter, so be sceptical at best), I'm wondering whether it's got anything to do with people's disappointment in the latest Apple products?

https://www.netmarketshare.com/repo...ac&qpcustomb=0&qpsp=205&qpnp=19&qptimeframe=M

Them showing macos heading down is interesting. Disappointment with hardware with average users could well be a good explanation. I think its also possible that netmarketshare is just way off. :)

Looking at what developers like to use... macOS has been adding development users for 4-5 years running now. (macOS has really surged the last few years on stackoverflows survey they actually used to be #3 behind Linux now they are a solid #2. Windows is on track to drop below 50% this year.)
https://insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2016
https://insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2016#technology-desktop-operating-system

Going back to Linux its interesting to see that with developers.... 12.3% of them run Ubuntu, with distros like Fedora which I find very developer friendly is only at 1.4% and they don't even chart other developer centric distros like suse. Goes to show what shipping on hardware can do.... even tech heads would rather just buy a Dell preloaded with Ubunutu. :) Makes sense though, part of the appeal of the MBPs that are so common with developers is the build quality. Being able to get high quality Linux dells with Ubuntu is a big deal. It would be interesting to know of that 12.3% how many of them are Dell Project Sputnik machines.

Always connected isn't the same as well connected. I'm "always" connected wherever I go these days, like everyone else. My mobile bandwidth compared to my landline bandwidth is a joke but I do have a higher end landline connection than most in the US, needed for work. Maybe 5G will solve the problem.

No doubt its not perfect and likely never will be... but its getting good enough for the masses. If you really want to know if you could live with something like chromeos... just unplug your windows machine and see if its still usable. lol ;) For most people no connection means their machine is a paper weight no matter what OS they are running. (having said that ChromeOS isn't exactly the must be connected all the time OS it was when it launched either. You can create and edit documents now read books edit photos and do a ton of other stuff while unconnected. Chrome has evolved quite a bit.)

And I've never stated there is any issue with this, the problem is that you apply your wants and needs out of a PC to 100% of the population, and you cannot do that.

I've been an esoteric PC user for close to four decades and know it. Linux has its advantages and disadvantages just like Windows, I'm just a bit more objective about it is all. When Linux overcomes its limitations and thoroughly beats Windows in its strengths we'll all be using Linux. Not even a big deal if ever Linux folks decide to listen beyond themselves.

I've been an esoteric PC user for close to four decades and know it. Linux has its advantages and disadvantages just like Windows, I'm just a bit more objective about it is all. When Linux overcomes its limitations and thoroughly beats Windows in its strengths we'll all be using Linux. Not even a big deal if ever Linux folks decide to listen beyond themselves.

You're not objective, Windows works better for you and you apply that logic to everyone, you refuse to understand that the world is filled with individuals with thoughts, needs and feelings that by no means reflect your own. My experience with Linux is that is has no limitations, it does everything I need it to do and more, furthermore it does so better than Windows. If you approached things objectively you'd understand that and have no issue comprehending such a fact - And yet you have a major issue comprehending anything that falls outside of your own opinion.

You are the child that had a Tandy CoCo 3 while the rest of the school kids had Commodore 64's, that's the impression I get of you.

I am monitoring this discussion - Very, very closely.

You're not objective, Windows works better for you and you apply that logic to everyone, you refuse to understand that the world is filled with individuals with thoughts, needs and feelings that by no means reflect your own.

How so? I've simply pointed out things that don't work well with Linux. And every time I mention these things you throw a tantrum.

My experience with Linux is that is has no limitations,

Of course. You don't do things with it beyond want you need or want. I do. I've never said those issues apply to everyone. You bash me for what I spend on stuff, as though I don't get that most people don't. Duh. All I've ever said on this subject is that if you want to run all the latest and greatest PC hardware and software just use Windows for the support. But yet folks like you get lived when I mention that. As though I expect everyone to do the same. But yes there are gaps in hardware and software support if one picks to use some things.

How so? I've simply pointed out things that don't work well with Linux. And every time I mention these things you throw a tantrum.

Of course. You don't do things with it beyond want you need or want. I do. I've never said those issues apply to everyone. You bash me for what I spend on stuff, as though I don't get that most people don't. Duh. All I've ever said on this subject is that if you want to run all the latest and greatest PC hardware and software just use Windows for the support. But yet folks like you get lived when I mention that. As though I expect everyone to do the same. But yes there are gaps in hardware and software support if one picks to use some things.

There's someone that constantly throws tantrums, and it's certainly not me Heatlesssun. You push good people to such a level of frustration that they lash out and get warnings or worse still, banned - And that's something that's 100% your fault due to your complete inability to comprehend and absorb logical and alternate points of view that conflict with your own. I don't bash you due to the amount of money you spent on a PC in any way at all, I inform you that I am sick of hearing about the amount of money you spend on a PC like a means to justify the requirement to use Windows - Thousands of dollars on PC hardware does not make Windows a necessity and no one cares a hoot about how much money you spent on your PC.

Windows works well for you, Linux works well for me and there's a distinct possibility that Linux would work well for a great many other people that have no idea anything but Windows even exists due to overhanded marketing on behalf of Microsoft. The fact that Linux adoption appears to be on the rise indicates that perhaps people are beginning to understand that they are no longer tied to Microsoft products.

This conversation is over, accept this fact and move on.

I've simply pointed out things that don't work well with Linux.
You don't do things with it beyond want you need or want. I do.
All I've ever said on this subject is that if you want to run all the latest and greatest PC hardware and software just use Windows for the support.

Ok what exactly have you pointed out that doesn't work well ?

So where talking about games again are we ? lmao

Linux hardware support is = to windows. Get over it.

For a vast number of uses Linux is >. For others its at least =. I guess as usual you would love to turn another thread with the name Linux mentioned in it into another games for windows advert. Dude MS discoed that in 2013. This back and forth that boils down to "ma Windoze runz all ma gamez, suckas" is getting really old, you have won no one is freaking arguing windows has more games and if you play 1000s of PC games you should likely run a windows gaming machine. Your real name isn't Hiroo is it ?

Bullet says you may have been a kid with a Tandy Coco... but imo your more like one of the many kids that had an Atari. Yes fantastic machine and it had thousands of games... but I was partial to my superior ColecoVision and its smaller library of games. My wife is right size ain't everything. lol

I think I'm just going to mute heatlessun from now on. His posts are repetition ad nausea.

I think Linux already dominates/is about to dominate the markets it shines in (smartphones, servers, science sector/research, "thin" devices like Chromebooks, embedded controllers/electronics). I don't think it will ever be a mainstream user OS unless you consider macOS linux-like. My guess is mainstream users will gradually move to cloud-based platforms where the OS isn't doing much more than being a thin-client anyways. If that happens then I bet Linux market share skyrockets...

My little relevant data point: In my day job I work with physicists and grad students from top public and private universities and I've seen precisely 0 of them ever using anything other than Linux or macOS.

..dont forget smart tv's and the need to include everything android. Smartphones absolutely, but android has uses in things other than phones. Its an interesting landscape because contrary to popular belief, iphones are "not" the most used smartphone. Android's is over 80% of the market, ios makes up much of the rest.

Of course we know that everything with any type of functionality and any kind of cpu, needs an operating system to run. So we find linux ports all over the place. The tesla uses a port of linux. So does space -x. Your router might use a linux family member, picture studios cgi server farms use linux.

So its wierd to look at the landscape and realize that for the desktop, linux is only gaining ground from somewhere behind ios. Yet the largest use on a diverse range of devices: smallest on the peoples desktops.:confused::unsure:

What makes it even more confusing is that linux can be had for free. I wonder what would happen if a major pc manuf started installing linux as a dual boot Os. Boot to the familiar windows environment then see what linux can do on the same machine. I can see the plusses and a few of the problems since much new gear wont have primo device drivers. Would be interesting though.

..dont forget smart tv's and the need to include everything android. Smartphones absolutely, but android has uses in things other than phones. Its an interesting landscape because contrary to popular belief, iphones are "not" the most used smartphone. Android's is over 80% of the market, ios makes up much of the rest.

Of course we know that everything with any type of functionality and any kind of cpu, needs an operating system to run. So we find linux ports all over the place. The tesla uses a port of linux. So does space -x. Your router might use a linux family member, picture studios cgi server farms use linux.

So its wierd to look at the landscape and realize that for the desktop, linux is only gaining ground from somewhere behind ios. Yet the largest use on a diverse range of devices: smallest on the peoples desktops.:confused::unsure:

What makes it even more confusing is that linux can be had for free. I wounder what would happen if a major pc manuf started installing linux as a dual boot Os. Boot to the familiar windows environment then see what linux can do on the same machine. I can see the plusses and a few of the problems since much new gear wont have primo device drivers. Would be interesting though.

I would like to point out that Dell offers a Linux option on some of their machines but it's a minority of them so maybe that's not what you had in mind. It's not dual boot though out of the box, you pick Linux or Windows at the time of purchase.

What makes it even more confusing is that linux can be had for free. I wonder what would happen if a major pc manuf started installing linux as a dual boot Os.

MS heads would explode. And said companies position as a MS OEM dealer would go away. At the very least they would loose the right to stick a windows sticker on their machine. MS protects their territory always have. Many of the major distros PAY MS so their boot loaders will work with secure boot. I somehow doubt MS would play nice with OEMS or the distros they where using in such a case.

The best solution is for OEMS to just ship more Linux machines. The main issue with that is most OEMs don't have a compelling reason to as MS washes them with enough backend money that the on paper up front costs of OEM windows don't matter. MS handles the majority of software support... and for many OEMs they are free to void even hardware warranties if people mess with the software. MS deals are why so far only one major OEM has been willing to at least partly go against MS. Dell is the only real major OEM shipping Linux machines. You will notice that other Linux OEMs are smaller and don't deal with MS at all. For the rest of the majors the truth is after MS hits them with backend money and advertising programs ect they are really being paid to install windows.... which is better then free for them. lol

I have a number of stand alone Android 6.0.1 based media devices here running Kodi and they're awesome. Valid point Khahhblaab, Android is most definitely not just limited to phones and tablets.

I have a number of stand alone Android 6.0.1 based media devices here running Kodi and they're awesome. Valid point Khahhblaab, Android is most definitely not just limited to phones and tablets.

Thanks for the props. Had to reply when I read your puters specs:

MOS 6510 processor, 64k RAM, 8MB REU, VIC-II GPU, 1541 UII+, 1541 FDD w/JiffyDOS, 8GB USB Stick storage w/around 5000 games, 1351 mouse, TAC2 joystick, 9600 baud Wimodem.

How did you manage to fit 5000 games on a USB device that wasnt around when the 6510 and VIC-2 was around? Must be the only computer system on earth that reads USB drives while online at 9600 baud :)

Thanks for the props. Had to reply when I read your puters specs:

MOS 6510 processor, 64k RAM, 8MB REU, VIC-II GPU, 1541 UII+, 1541 FDD w/JiffyDOS, 8GB USB Stick storage w/around 5000 games, 1351 mouse, TAC2 joystick, 9600 baud Wimodem.

How did you manage to fit 5000 games on a USB device that wasnt around when the 6510 and VIC-2 was around? Must be the only computer system on earth that reads USB drives while online at 9600 baud :)

The 1541 Ultimate II+ my friend, one of the greatest devices ever devised!

I'm currently running my Motorola 68030 overclocked from 25Mhz to 42Mhz, 2MB Chip RAM, 130MB of Fast RAM, 8GB CF based HDD, 8GB CF based FAT32 formatted storage drive, Indivision AGA MkIICr and AmigaOS 3.1 based machine with Scalos Workbench and iGame ATM - Beautiful device without the soullessness of current Windows based machines.

eWIjhhah.jpg

The 1541 Ultimate II+ my friend, one of the greatest devices ever devised!

I'm currently running my Motorola 68030 overclocked from 25Mhz to 42Mhz, 2MB Chip RAM, 130MB of Fast RAM, 8GB CF based HDD, 8GB CF based FAT32 formatted storage drive, Indivision AGA MkIICr and AmigaOS 3.1 based machine with Scalos Workbench and iGame ATM - Beautiful device without the soullessness of current Windows based machines.

eWIjhhah.jpg

Its real ?!?!

Jaw_Smiley__82348_thumb.jpg.de525bad9bd4413c612adb51fc80817a.jpg

Sham wow! (y)

I now have another cool ass thing to try.

thanks.

Back