Linux is a pretty smooth OS, even with its quirks

Nothings perfect in this world (I keep tryin to convince the wife that I am but, she wont hear it :p ).

I've used Windows and Linux both for the last couple years, for basic every day use they're both great.

Games, Windows (7) hands down. Everything else (for the average user like me) Linux (Solus and Ubuntu MATE are my picks) works great.

I find that how good of an OS it is in your eyes is more based on what you are expecting out of it. My debian build is far FAR more reliable than my windows build. If I didn't care about reliability I would use windows full time.

I find that how good of an OS it is in your eyes is more based on what you are expecting out of it. My debian build is far FAR more reliable than my windows build. If I didn't care about reliability I would use windows full time.

For me the amount of attacks targeting windows is a show stopper. I never go the way the masses go anyway, except if I think there's a solid reason.

For me the amount of attacks targeting windows is a show stopper. I never go the way the masses go anyway, except if I think there's a solid reason.

Not only the increased vulnerability, but the OS itself is problematic. On the windows desktop I am currently having the problem where it just uninstalled my video card right in the middle of my work, then the windows update install failed leaving me to re-install it manually when I was trying to get work done. This happened because a previous update changed my driver update/install default from no to yes without me knowing and against my wishes. That shit just doesn't happen on Debian.

Going to bed and waking up to a startup screen because you cannot prevent "critical" updates from installing, knowing your workflow that was still open didn't get saved.

All this not to mention just the general unstable nature of windows and constant slow down from its inefficient nature.

We wont even talk about bloat that comes from even the most stripped down windows os.

I have absolutely no issues with Linux, for me it's the most solid OS I've ever used and I don't miss Windows in the slightest.

Having said that, I have a heavily overclocked Windows 10 machine here and it never misses a beat, having said that it rarely gets used. I don't use it because I have no desire to and I have no need to unless I want to play certain games.

I'm still what you could call a recent convert to daily linux use, and seeing as I run an arch based distro, I do run into issues, but I can usually fix them within about 5 minutes. More often than not it's something breaking due to an update because....rolling release. But, I've yet to have to reinstall the OS because something broke. Can't say the same for Windows.

I'm still what you could call a recent convert to daily linux use, and seeing as I run an arch based distro, I do run into issues, but I can usually fix them within about 5 minutes. More often than not it's something breaking due to an update because....rolling release. But, I've yet to have to reinstall the OS because something broke. Can't say the same for Windows.

And this is how it is with rolling releases.

You've made huge gains under Linux Lunar and it's obvious that your knowledge of the OS and perhaps even your PC in general is growing all the time - You accepted that there were differences compared to what you were used to and you worked on sorting them out without the need to start threads mercilessly dumping on Linux, good job. What DE are you running ATM?

On a side note I'm currently messing with a Windows 98 build and I now know that people's memories of the OS are flaky at best, the OS is so fragile that the slightest mistake installing a driver and it's OS reinstall time! However it's all in good fun and the memories are flooding back.

And this is how it is with rolling releases.

You've made huge gains under Linux Lunar and it's obvious that your knowledge of the OS and perhaps even your PC in general is growing all the time - You accepted that there were differences compared to what you were used to and you worked on sorting them out without the need to start threads mercilessly dumping on Linux, good job. What DE are you running ATM?

On a side note I'm currently messing with a Windows 98 build and I now know that people's memories of the OS are flaky at best, the OS is so fragile that the slightest mistake installing a driver and it's OS reinstall time! However it's all in good fun and the memories are flooding back.
So, I'm currently still on Manjaro GNOME with the dash to panel extension, along with a couple other extensions. I've been really happy with it, but come 3.26 I'm not sure what I'm going to do, because the lack of status icons really is a deal breaker for me. That's why I'm considering a shift to Budgie or KDE. I've also thought about giving Deepin a go, but I feel like it's a bit more restrictive on customization than I'd like.

Also, yeah I remember having to reinstall Windows 95 and 98 many many times because those OS' were so horrendously fragile. What was really bad, is back then I was still on a 486 DX4 100 PC, and I only had upgrade versions of each OS, so my install process was as follows: DOS (Floppy) -> Win 3.11 (Floppy) -> Win 95 Upgrade (Floppy) -> Win 98 Upgrade (CD). As you can imagine, this process took ages.

I'd suggest going with Manjaro KDE, ignore the articles you read that say KDE is complex and buggy, thats no longer true (IMO of course, I am no expert) for the last few years and esp since Plasma 5. I like Gnome less with each new 'feature' (i.e removal of existing feature) they announce and in my experience, its exactly the opposite - KDE gives you a functioning desktop, Gnome you need a million extensions to get a usable desktop.

I'd suggest going with Manjaro KDE, ignore the articles you read that say KDE is complex and buggy, thats no longer true (IMO of course, I am no expert) for the last few years and esp since Plasma 5. I like Gnome less with each new 'feature' (i.e removal of existing feature) they announce and in my experience, its exactly the opposite - KDE gives you a functioning desktop, Gnome you need a million extensions to get a usable desktop.

Yes!! Totally this!

To get Gnome almost to the point where I'm comfortable with it I need to install/enable a million extensions! With KDE I don't install anything except a dock.

Yes!! Totally this!

To get Gnome almost to the point where I'm comfortable with it I need to install/enable a million extensions! With KDE I don't install anything except a dock.

I have never found Gnome that strange. I know it does some things that freak people used to windows out... such as not providing them an onscreen list of whats running by default.

I have never had an issue with people feeling they need to use 2-10 extensions. They are easy to install use and even create. To me its like extensions for a browser. No one says firefox sucks cause I feel I need to run 4 or 5 extensions to make it usable for me. As long as the method of installing and controlling them is dead simple (which it is) I believe they serve the purpose of making Gnome easy to customise. You want default gnome where the os stays out of your way (which I love activities page and I'm set)... you want a dock and a mac like ui no issue one click and you have dock to dash... you want an stupid start bar cool there are a bunch of good start bar extensions again one click... anything else you want to cook up for your personal UI is just a few easy clicks away with the same type of Web interface everyone that has used chrome / firefox extensions is used to already.

Still I find default Gnome very usable... as long you are willing to forget the MS way of doing things. I have never liked KDE cause I couldn't make it behave like Gnome. ;) To me KDE at least default KDE just feels like a windows knock off.... I hate myself for saying that and I will end there. Perhaps I am just biased against UIs that feature a start bar.

I have never found Gnome that strange. I know it does some things that freak people used to windows out... such as not providing them an onscreen list of whats running by default.

I have never had an issue with people feeling they need to use 2-10 extensions. They are easy to install use and even create. To me its like extensions for a browser. No one says firefox sucks cause I feel I need to run 4 or 5 extensions to make it usable for me. As long as the method of installing and controlling them is dead simple (which it is) I believe they serve the purpose of making Gnome easy to customise. You want default gnome where the os stays out of your way (which I love activities page and I'm set)... you want a dock and a mac like ui no issue one click and you have dock to dash... you want an stupid start bar cool there are a bunch of good start bar extensions again one click... anything else you want to cook up for your personal UI is just a few easy clicks away with the same type of Web interface everyone that has used chrome / firefox extensions is used to already.

Still I find default Gnome very usable... as long you are willing to forget the MS way of doing things. I have never liked KDE cause I couldn't make it behave like Gnome. ;) To me KDE at least default KDE just feels like a windows knock off.... I hate myself for saying that and I will end there. Perhaps I am just biased against UIs that feature a start bar.

I'm sorry ChadD, I know you like Gnome and I'm probably being a bit rough and over the top.

To put things into perspective, Gnome is a great environment. Compared to some DE's it feels a little limiting, but it has some well implemented features and it absolutely craps all over Unity, so I believe it's a major step in the right direction for vanilla Ubuntu. So while it is a great environment, it's just not the one for me - Hence the reason why so much choice is an absolutely wonderful thing!

In relation to KDE: Yes, there are many features of the UI that remind me of Windows 10 (although at least the GUI as a whole isn't fragmented like Windows 10), however there are many features that I actually think are great ideas and implemented beautifully - As stated, KDE is the one DE that I feel I don't have to customize the hell out of.

I'm sure there's people that don't like MATE, whereas I love it - It's all about that freedom of choice and what works for you. :)

Reactions: ChadD
like this
I'm sure there's people that don't like MATE, whereas I love it - It's all about that freedom of choice and what works for you. :)

I agree choice is good... and a DE is just a DE. Being able to choose your DE is the power of Linux. The fav old OS thread had me remembering when even the IBM PC world worked that way.... with all the file managers and GUI programs that ran ontop of dos. Being able to run whatever DE you like is part of the power of Linux. I know we have went there before multiple DEs is a Linux strength.

I guess I just don't get the general distaste so many seem to have for Gnome. :) I would rather have a super stripped down starting place then a bunch of features on by default that I have to go and flip off.

Having said that.. you know what I would love to see gnome do. Is offer a handful of default extension setups at first run. I think it would be cool if the first time you started vanilla gnome a welcome screen would pop up and basically ask users... you want a dock ?, you want a list of running programs on your top bar ? You want a drop down program list ? ect. Not sure it would change many of the I hate Gnome types minds... but it couldn't hurt and would for sure help with new Linux converts. I do know from experience the no list of running programs on the bar thing throws the basic windows users for a loop. Still ime at least most average users do pick vanilla gnome up pretty quick.

There is no rationale for removing things like the status tray. The reason given - "applications shouldn't use status icons and the status tray was a stop gap solution anyway, install an extension if you need any indicators" is beyond stupid, its arrogant and insulting to users. Same goes for basic stuff like removing the options in file manager.

Does any of this help a new user? No. It does make for lots of blog posts and busy activity for paid Redhat devs as well as ensuring the dominant Linux DE falls even more under control of one corporate entity. There's a reason Gnome has been forked so many times. Even the Gnome Tweak Tool is not installed by default last I checked and you have to jump thru bizzare hoops (apt get, then a browser extension) to enable it. The recent fiasco with TopIcons plus is a good example.

Imagine if your browser didn't come with multiple tabs (which was in fact the case a few years ago) or bookmarks or support for showing images and you had to install extensions for basic features, then sometimes those extensions would break, or you'd have competing ones etc - that's the Gnome model.

https://blogs.gnome.org/aday/2017/08/31/status-icons-and-gnome/

As a Gnome user I would much rather have a unified place for all my notifications / app widgets in a clean out of the way place (the calendar / notification area) newer gnome apis tie this in to not only local applications but cloud based online accounts like Google / MS exchange ect.

There really is no fiasco... the Gnome team has been saying for years now they are getting rid of tray icons. Its not news. They believe in their notification area design as do I. Gnomes design is to stay the heck out of users way. Its a radical different design vs the standard info in your face overload design of most UIs. I get that its hard for some people to love... and yes I get it many people install a bunch of extensions to put that info back in their faces. No doubt if that is what you want to do gnome makes it simple and if it doesn't go far enough hey your right there are tons of gnome forks, kde, or xfce. I will just say that yes gnome desktop is designed to be productive... yes paid red hat devs spend a lot of time making a lean mean slim DE, because its proven its what corporate clients want. I can say from experience that yes after a short adjustment period people working on Gnome all day tend to get more done. Not having a ton of unneeded crap on the screen is a good thing.

Applications using system tray icons are using a 15 year old API and its not part of the Gnome design going forward. I get how that could ruffle feathers for a guy programming a popular extension like topicons plus. (which still works fine) I don't know if developers will in general abandon the system tray icon... imo as long as they include hooks for the proper gnome notification area it doesn't matter. The system tray icons won't show and the gnome notification area that replaces it will function as expected. For those that still want to see a silly tray icon they can install an extension that displays the output of the old api.

Also for the record... Gnome tweaks (its new name) is installed by default in many major distros, still it installs like every other application yes apt-get for ubuntu or the GUI software library pacman zypper whatever package manager your using. The browser extension I assume your referring to the extension to one click install extensions from extensions.gnome.org which doesn't require tweaks to be installed. (unless I'm forgetting something)

Also just to say I'm not trying to argue with you or claiming your opinion is wrong or such sillyness... your free to like or dislike what you want of course. Wonderful thing about Linux if Gnome isn't for you, options are a plenty. IMO Gnome does things perhaps the most differently vs any other DE or OS UI out there, so it inspires pretty strong feelings on both sides I guess. lol It also inspires some extension makers to get annoyed because gnome isn't trying to be just another 1001 things on the screen UI. They have a clear goal of being clean and down to business... which yes is driven by Red Hat clearly, as they sell it as exactly that.

Last edited:
I like tray icons....Sorry ChadD, that was also one of the reasons Gnome wasn't for me. :(

However, as far as the tweak tool is concerned, the distro I used included it by default and Unity always required the use of a tweak tool that wasn't included by default with the OS - That was one of the things that frustrated me with Unity.

Be thankful we have choices and aren't stuck with one UI like some sorry users. :)

like this
I think Gnome is necessary, I may not like it but having competing points of view is important. From what I've read about Gtk from its devs, its a total mess and performance is not a priority for them, which is why Gnome takes so much more resources. I also don't like with the 'not in your face' approach, this is not a smartphone or tablet UI with space at a premium, the whole point of innovations like Start menu and tray is to provide the user with as much info at a glance.

What I want from Gnome is controls in titlebars and unified design language which I think look great.

I think Gnome is necessary, I may not like it but having competing points of view is important. From what I've read about Gtk from its devs, its a total mess and performance is not a priority for them, which is why Gnome takes so much more resources. I also don't like with the 'not in your face' approach, this is not a smartphone or tablet UI with space at a premium, the whole point of innovations like Start menu and tray is to provide the user with as much info at a glance.

What I want from Gnome is controls in titlebars and unified design language which I think look great.

Gnomes simplified UI isn't about smartphone screens. Its about actual work being done. Star Menus are an impediment in the work place. Status icons are also stupid... as is a visual list of running programs. For your home desktop sure all of those things have different levels of merit. (haha I hold firm on the start bar being dumb)

I know that sounds crazy but there are hard fact studies that show removing those things from a desktop = more productivity.

lol I know we aren't going to change each others mind on it... that's cool we have choices with Linux. :)

For the companies that do switch though... and I have switched a few. Removing the start bar and adding simple launches for the things people need to be working with and nothing more is one of the strengths of Gnome. You will find Gnome desktops in plenty of corporate / business settings today... you won't find many if any KDE desktops.

I get that it feels too stripped down to someone used to all of those things... and sure for my own use I use a handful of extensions including taskbar.

For your average office worker though using a web browser an email client and a few office applications... all of that stuff is just clutter. I have setup plenty of working work machines with gnome and 4-5 programs in there favs... zero extensions and go. Yes regular people are a little confused for all of 1 min... then you show them hit your Super (windows) key click what you want to run. If your running more then one thing hit your super key again and click on the program you want to be using. Its beautifully simple and why Gnome is the default for every major commercially viable linux desktop distro (Red Hat / Suse / Ubuntu).

When it comes to GTK its just a framework... as is QT. They both have strengths and weaknesses. Both have been around forever and neither is going anywhere. They don't have to either... its not a one or the other situation. Both are cross platform, but QT has made inroads into windows software more and more which as I see it along with the fact its a C++ framework has made some very vocal about it being superior. As I have seen it there isn't any advantage in speed either way they are just application frameworks and are very much the same for the most part. Anyway bottom line ya if I'm a cross platform designer I can use GTK or QT... but likely going to lean toward QT as its C++ more then anything. With Qt being used for things like Adobe Photoshop elements / Maya / AMDs driver software and lots of game development tools like Valves and Crys it is more popular with developers no doubt it is the first Linux based Framework that has crossed over in a real way. So imo you hear a lot of FUD and general BS about GTK like it being slower then QT... when it comes to Windows compiled software that may well be true as the C++ compilers tend to be better optimised.

Last edited:
Well, Linux is a lot smoother than it once was. 10 years ago, crashing the GUI and ending up with missing elements was not uncommon, at least for me. Nowadays, I cannot recall the last time I ran into that.

Every issue MrCrispy encountered under Gnome I also encountered in exactly the same way. This by no means indicates that Gnome is a bad DE, honestly, there's no denying it's polish and I'm sure there's users that absolutely love it - It's just that users like MrCrispy and myself are obviously sensitive to the same things.

Having recently been playing around with legacy Windows operating systems on my 'new' Pentium 3 Tualatin build, I wish I could still enable the legacy Windows UI under Windows 10 natively as in my opinion that was the pinnacle of the Windows UI - So clean, so well laid out, so uniform and so logical.

These are things that are important to me and a strength of Linux as a desktop OS, everyone gets the flavor they want in a desktop.

Hey BulletDust mind if I ask you somerthing - in KDE there's an issue that mapping network drives doesn't make them available to other apps, but in Gnome it does. I think it may be due to gvfs in Gnome. I read a bit about this and there are so many competing solution people post such as cifs-utils, editing samba.conf, some command in Dophin, editing mount point manually, its all so confusing, and even then the mount may not be persistent! This is the kind of thing that's trivial in Windows/OSX and still hard in Linux.

All I want is to be able to browse my network shares, choose a mount point, tick a checkbox (or flag) to be persistent, and have it be visible to all apps. How do you do this in KDE?

Hey BulletDust mind if I ask you somerthing - in KDE there's an issue that mapping network drives doesn't make them available to other apps, but in Gnome it does. I think it may be due to gvfs in Gnome. I read a bit about this and there are so many competing solution people post such as cifs-utils, editing samba.conf, some command in Dophin, editing mount point manually, its all so confusing, and even then the mount may not be persistent! This is the kind of thing that's trivial in Windows/OSX and still hard in Linux.

All I want is to be able to browse my network shares, choose a mount point, tick a checkbox (or flag) to be persistent, and have it be visible to all apps. How do you do this in KDE?
So, this is part of why I can't stand using KDE. The easiest solution to this problem that I found was to use smb4k to mount network drives. smb4k provides a GUI for mounting drives using the standard commands as opposed to KDE's KIO. The problem is the way that gvfs and KIO handle mounts. GVFS mounts the drive to a folder that you can navigate to in the system. KDE does not. KDE uses KIO to "mount" the drive, but the catch is that any application that wants to access it must hook into KIO to do so. Seeing as most applications I use on a daily basis don't do this, KDE was BEYOND frustrating to use in this regard. I hated having to open an application to mount a network drive. I should be able to do this from the file manager and that be the end of it, but not in KDE. KDE looks nice on the surface, but once you start trying to do work in it, I've found that there are a great many cracks in its pretty surface.

So, this is part of why I can't stand using KDE. The easiest solution to this problem that I found was to use smb4k to mount network drives. smb4k provides a GUI for mounting drives using the standard commands as opposed to KDE's KIO. The problem is the way that gvfs and KIO handle mounts. GVFS mounts the drive to a folder that you can navigate to in the system. KDE does not. KDE uses KIO to "mount" the drive, but the catch is that any application that wants to access it must hook into KIO to do so. Seeing as most applications I use on a daily basis don't do this, KDE was BEYOND frustrating to use in this regard. I hated having to open an application to mount a network drive. I should be able to do this from the file manager and that be the end of it, but not in KDE. KDE looks nice on the surface, but once you start trying to do work in it, I've found that there are a great many cracks in its pretty surface.

Having never used KDE long enough to really scratch the surface... and just now reading about KIO a bit, the KDE guys have made some strange choices. The smb4k sounds like a reasonable solution.

You could also just add the NAS to fstab I would think. Ensure cifs-utils is installed, so you can call cifs when you add it to fstab. I don't remember exactly which distro your running so I won't post an actual command as some distros use different /media locations but I think you can figure it out. Small tip... if you run sudo mount -a after you add your line you shouldn't have to reboot. Also I would suggest adding the nofail option to your line, its not a big deal but could save you an error during boot if you turn your network storage off or something.

Linux is pretty smooth but definitely, it has it's quirks, such as the one thing above. However, it is not about if an OS has the quirks but how to deal and work with them, no matter the OS. MrCrispy, did you figure out how to mount your shares in KDE? Thanks.

Having never used KDE long enough to really scratch the surface... and just now reading about KIO a bit, the KDE guys have made some strange choices. The smb4k sounds like a reasonable solution.

You could also just add the NAS to fstab I would think. Ensure cifs-utils is installed, so you can call cifs when you add it to fstab. I don't remember exactly which distro your running so I won't post an actual command as some distros use different /media locations but I think you can figure it out. Small tip... if you run sudo mount -a after you add your line you shouldn't have to reboot. Also I would suggest adding the nofail option to your line, its not a big deal but could save you an error during boot if you turn your network storage off or something.
So yeah, adding the mounts to fstab works, but I really recommend doing it using autofs if on a laptop. The issue with network shares in fstab is if the NAS is unavailable at boot. Sure you can do sudo mount -a, but with autofs you can set it up in such a way that when you attempt to access the designated mount folder it automounts. Still, an implementation similar to gvfs would be better than what is currently available in KDE. Which is also my problem. I feel like the KDE folks are so concerned with adding every feature, option, and control under the sun, that they lack polish. Take GNOME Disks and Kpartitionmanager. Both are designed to do effectively the same purpose, but the key difference is that GNOME took the time to polish the interface and layout in a way that makes sense, whereas Kpartitionmanager looks like someone just puked options onto a window. And that doesn't even take into account that literally every time I've tried to use Kpartitionmanager to do anything it has crashed on me.

like this

But I don't want to add manual entries to fstab and whatnot just to map a drive! Am I asking for too much? My distro is Manjaro KDE. Surely this is a problem others have? I remember the very first time I mapped a drive in Dolphin, connected to my pc share with videos, then opened Vlc and it said it couldn't find the path, I felt anger and frustration.

like this
But I don't want to add manual entries to fstab and whatnot just to map a drive! Am I asking for too much? My distro is Manjaro KDE. Surely this is a problem others have? I remember the very first time I mapped a drive in Dolphin, connected to my pc share with videos, then opened Vlc and it said it couldn't find the path, I felt anger and frustration.
Yup. Honestly, the only option I'm aware of in the GUI is to use smb4k.

I don't disagree... there are reasons I don't use KDE. I guess your issue is another to add to the list. ;)

For a desktop I like just adding things to fstab and being done with it... but ya laptop type machines I get that is a pain. I know I say it all the time and I get your point, for myself I have no issue with needing to use a terminal here and there. In this case it just sounds like bad design on the part of the KDE team. Thinking about it some time back can't remember a few years at least I remember someone complaining about an issue like yours may have been slightly different about dolphin using some type of plugin for network drives that was annoying and slow.

As you have said its a KDE issue not specifically a Linux one. I agree with you NAS setups are pretty common these days it shouldn't be an undertaking setting it up in KDE no. I also get that suggesting someone new to linux punch sudo nano /etc/fstab and add stuff like //ipaddress/NAS /targetmountdir cifs username=$,password=$,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm 0 0 with zero explanation is confusing as hell.

I have to say I don't mean to sound neck beardy... but going through stuff like that when you run into it and taking a few min to understand each bit of it, after awhile you start to understand the logic of how Linux runs. It is actually very logical and makes sense. You find after awhile things that are new to you in Linux are easy to figure out as you start to understand what X or Y flag means, what /etc is all about how .conf files tend be laid out ect. Of course I still agree basic GUI tools to handle stuff like setting up a NAS should just work.... but hey you likely understand more about how Linux mounts and handles such things today then you did yesterday, and that isn't all bad. :)

If your still messing with it though I would go with Lunars suggestion. smb4k is in the arch repos so you should have no issues... it looks like it covers everything you want.
https://www.kde.org/applications/utilities/smb4k/

Last edited:
I don't disagree... there are reasons I don't use KDE. I guess your issue is another to add to the list. ;)

For a desktop I like just adding things to fstab and being done with it... but ya laptop type machines I get that is a pain. I know I say it all the time and I get your point, for myself I have no issue with needing to use a terminal here and there. In this case it just sounds like bad design on the part of the KDE team. Thinking about it some time back can't remember a few years at least I remember someone complaining about an issue like yours may have been slightly different about dolphin using some type of plugin for network drives that was annoying and slow.

As you have said its a KDE issue not specifically a Linux one. I agree with you NAS setups are pretty common these days it shouldn't be an undertaking setting it up in KDE no. I also get that suggesting someone new to linux punch sudo nano /etc/fstab and add stuff like //ipaddress/NAS /targetmountdir cifs username=$,password=$,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm 0 0 with zero explanation is confusing as hell.

I have to say I don't mean to sound neck beardy... but going through stuff like that when you run into it and taking a few min to understand each bit of it, after awhile you start to understand the logic of how Linux runs. It is actually very logical and makes sense. You find after awhile things that are new to you in Linux are easy to figure out as you start to understand what X or Y flag means, what /etc is all about how .conf files tend be laid out ect. Of course I still agree basic GUI tools to handle stuff like setting up a NAS should just work.... but hey you likely understand more about how Linux mounts and handles such things today then you did yesterday, and that isn't all bad. :)

I don't mind using the terminal. e.g. I'd much rather use htop/iotop/systemctl than the gui task manager etc, and I have my ssh configured to run tmux with multiple panels etc. But I use a lot of network shares, I have to access other pc's/NAS etc and not all of them are permanent mounts. So I see this as a temporary mount, and fstab is by definition permanent. If there was a simple terminal cmd/bash script that would do this, e.g. 'netmount \\server\share' for the duration of the session and make it globally available that's all I need.

And from reading docs, it seems 'sudo mount -t cifs <remote> <local>' should do this? Or is this not for KDE? And its not permanent. Will try this later, I'm not in Linux right now. If this indeed works, why the hell can't the file manager do this via the 'map drive' command?

Next thing to figure out, how to resolve windows host names so I don't need to use ipaddr.

I don't mind using the terminal. e.g. I'd much rather use htop/iotop/systemctl than the gui task manager etc, and I have my ssh configured to run tmux with multiple panels etc. But I use a lot of network shares, I have to access other pc's/NAS etc and not all of them are permanent mounts. So I see this as a temporary mount, and fstab is by definition permanent. If there was a simple terminal cmd/bash script that would do this, e.g. 'netmount \\server\share' for the duration of the session and make it globally available that's all I need.

And from reading docs, it seems 'sudo mount -t cifs <remote> <local>' should do this? Or is this not for KDE? And its not permanent. Will try this later, I'm not in Linux right now. If this indeed works, why the hell can't the file manager do this via the 'map drive' command?

Next thing to figure out, how to resolve windows host names so I don't need to use ipaddr.

Yep mount is the command you want. fstab is just a file *nix looks at when it boots that tells it which drives to mount with the mount command. Its like a mounting script basically. So if you just want to mount something for that session then ya mount with the same options you would use in an fstab entry would work fine. (which is why "mount -a " works to mount drives you add manually without rebooting... your just telling mount to run the fstab script)

It sounds like what you are running into is an odd KDE KIO thing. As you pointed out in your first post about this... gnome and DEs forked from gnome which covers most everything else use GVfs. Yes with gnome / xfce which are the 2 main DEs I use or setup I haven't really had any issues setting up basic nas shares. I don't know what the thinking is with the KDE KIO difference, I bet there is a logical reason the KDE guys are doing it different... but I don't have enough KDE time under my belt to argue its defense. ;)

In your case I would say hey try mount... to see if you can get that to work, cause why not it will make you just a bit more Linux SMRT. ;) lol But it sounds like if you install SMB4k you'll be a happy camper it supports bookmarking favorite shares and a bunch of other stuffs. Seems like the go to for KDE users.

Last edited:
I have to admit, I've never tried to map network shares under KDE as it runs on my laptop which I only use for callouts as part of my job.

Having said that, I haven't mapped a drive by editing fstab in years, I use the Disks utility supplied in the Control Center of most distro's:

i9b5NU2h.png

One thing I have learnt in my years running Linux is to forget trying to share an NTFS drive/partition, you'll never get the permissions working correctly.

[EDIT] I just realized how full that drive is....Shit!

I am using Manjaro I3 community edition(on my Ryzen build) with PCmanfm automount for connected drives and Samba shares, it works without issue, so maybe you could try that?

For NAS connectivity I recomment using Systemd mounting in fstab, which will ensure automatic reconnects if NFS mounts are unavailable, whether you are on a laptop or rebooting the NAS. I use it on all my Linux machines.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/fstab#Automount_with_systemd

Hit me up with a PM if you want a more thorough guide.

On topic:

Long term Arch Linux(now Manjaro) and I3 WM user. Tiling window managers are awesome, just takes a wee bit O' practice.

Linux is unmatched for productivity and it's even a damned fine entertainment OS, sadly we need better games support.

I do have a Windows machine for gaming purposes, and since I have shifted from academia to the private sector I am now forced to use Windows at work (software development), it's an awfully opaque and unpredictable OS IMO.

Last edited:
I have to admit, I've never tried to map network shares under KDE as it runs on my laptop which I only use for callouts as part of my job.

Having said that, I haven't mapped a drive by editing fstab in years, I use the Disks utility supplied in the Control Center of most distro's:

i9b5NU2h.png

One thing I have learnt in my years running Linux is to forget trying to share an NTFS drive/partition, you'll never get the permissions working correctly.

[EDIT] I just realized how full that drive is....Shit!

I just realized you have Seagate drives....Shit! :D Backup quick!

I just realized you have Seagate drives....Shit! :D Backup quick!

Here lets melt BOOnies noodle. On the machine I'm on I have 2 seagates and I realise I have a seagate external plugged in as well.... I think all of them are 6-8 years old or something like that. lol

Screenshot from 2017-10-05 03-06-42.png

These Seagate's would be at least six years old.

The only data I care about is business data and that's all backed up using Back In Time.

So you want to mount the share only when it's needed and not mount it permanently? If this is the case, it's a simple fix - Use the bookmarking feature in your file manager:

7w5lIjah.png

blog-hd-stats-q1-2017-table.jpg

Just saying... :)

Of course the rates for 1Tb drives are probably better.

like this
Hey ChadD, have you tried Deluge as opposed to Transmission? I love Deluge.

Ya I do like Deluge... I have went back and forth a few times. Its hard not to love the simplicity of transmission sometimes though. :) When ever a windows friend tells me they need a torrent program I always tell them to use deluge. This is going to sound terrible... and I admit to being a pirate of the TV single, the one site I use I get better upload speeds with trans... it may be in my head but I think the tracker I use favors transmission as it believes trans users to be seedboxes. (could be in my head and doesn't make any difference downloading linux isos ect)

Back