Linux installation problem

nertil1

Limp Gawd
Here's the scenario
i just found an old compaq computer an it has an old pentium 2 processor, 333 mhz, 128 mb of ram and a 3 gig hd.
I want to install Slackware 8.1 on it (i know it's not the latest version) and all my partitions are set up as following:
-linux root
-extended partition
-swap space
-/usr
-/opt
/home

Now when i tell it to install of the applications after it's done it tells me that everything is installed and the computer will restart. Now i know that it's supposed to ask me to etup up my video card, lilo, mouse etc but it never does. It just says that everything is installed and after it reboots it says that ntldr is missing and nothing happens. All it tells me to do is restart again. I don't know what else to do.
I want to install it first on this rig before i install it on my main rig and because i want to learn about linux first before i fuck up my main rig
does anyone know what to do???
Any comments are appreciated
thankz
-nertil

I don't remember Slackware 8.1 very well, though I have installed and used it. But if it doesn't take you there automatically, isn't there an option on the installation menu called "Configure" or something along those lines? This may be 9.1, but IIRC, 8.1 wasn't very different. It has a section where you can change the Lilo configuration, XF86Config, and network.

Mind if I ask why not give 9.1 a try?

You didn't set up the bootloader properly. I seem to remeber the Slack 8.1 installer doing this.

Assuming that it just didn't install a bootloader at all (and you want it on /dev/hda) fix :

1) boot off the install CD
2) go to a terminal
3) mount your root partition
4) chroot to the root partition
5) check/fix /etc/lilo.conf
6) run lilo
7) exit chroot environmet
8) unmount drive
9) reboot

Assuming that you installed the bootloader on a partition (/dev/hda1):

1) boot to the install CD
2) use fdisk/cfdisk to make sure that the partition with the bootloader is marked "bootable"
3) reboot

Did you actually run Setup? If you boot from the cd again, and then run setup you should see like the last few options to set up the mouse, and setup your boot partition. Also try getting a copy of the new cds...

I fixed it lol.
The cd-rom drive that was with the old pc was 8x speed so thats why it wasn't installing it, it was too slow.
I got the cd-rom drive from my other pc 48x and then it installed fine.
i am now officially a Linux/Windows User
Thanks

Your partition scheme makes my head spin, but as long as it's working...
well done.

I've never understood the reason for the /opt. I've always done mine like

/
/home
/usr
/var
/boot
swap

Yeah... not really too much of a reason to have an opt partition. Some things like to install themselves there (KDE and Java, at one point, liked to live there. I gather that some commercial software likes to as well). I'd probably just symlink it to something in /usr if I need it.

Back