Linux install

man00

Limp Gawd
Do I need to remove cables from my other drives in my system so Linux won't hose them during the install? I plan on using external drive for Linux, last time I tried it messed
with my other drives

If you only want the Linux drive to he used when it's connected, then yes. Otherwise it's going to install grub and list both your OS and windows. If you remove the drive, grub won't find the files it needs and OH NO

Just save yourself the hassle and only plug in the external drive.

Do I need to remove cables from my other drives in my system so Linux won't hose them during the install? I plan on using external drive for Linux, last time I tried it messed
with my other drives
Linux doesn't do anything you don't instruct it to do so instead of choosing automatic partitioning, choose manual next time and you have full control what gets installed where and which drive has the bootloader.

It's best to unplug all other drives, insert the drive you plan on installing Linux to, installing LInux and using your BIOS/UEFI boot menu to select your boot drive.

Apart from anything, Windows 10 does not play well with others. Best to keep both OS's as isolated as possible. Plus, if you want to switch to OS A or B full time, you just rip out the drive containing the OS you don't want anymore - No GRUB issues to worry about.

Back