Linux FW Security Question

AMD_RULES

2[H]4U
I recently deployed a pfSense box on my home network. Now since this is a firewall, do I still need Virus and Spyware software on my desktops?

Firewalls generally block ports. Viruses and spyware are generally contained in files you download or get as e-mail attachments, or else on infected websites you access through your web browser on port 80 (not blocked, obviously). Therefore, most viruses and spyware arrive on different attack vectors than a firewall is designed to guard.

Yes, you should definitely run anti-virus and anti-spyware apps to protect yourself.

A utm like Untangle will offer a bunch more features including virus scanning. However, even this only protects you from content coming across the web. All it takes is an infected disk or another compromised computer and you are wide open.

Most of the popular *nix distros are not UTM appliances..they don't scan for malware/viruses, etc. PFSense does not.

There are some "UTM" ones out there...Endian, IPCop with the Copfilter add-in...and IMO the one that stands miles above the rest...Untangle. They actually scan traffic for viruses, worms....using Clam...Untangle you can also purchase a 2nd engine...Kaspersky. Untangle also has a "Spyware stopper" scanner....checks your browser traffic and prevents a lot....since deploying it at some clients I've seen it doing well in the logs.

These are good for a 2nd added layer of security...IMO I wouldn't run my workstation without a quality AV product though. Maybe you could be "sorta safe" if you ran behind Untangle with the Kaspersky engine.

You certainly do need at least anti virus on your clients! You can get away without a software firewall (windows firewall is not a firewall, its classed as a pain in the ass).

Even if you did have a UTM appliance with antivirus, what happens if you go download some torrents or you get a flash key thats infected, ud be pretty screwed.

Your router is your first line of defence, but its always best to stay safe and get a decent anti-virus and anti spyware product on your pc, it wont do no harm, these days if you pick the right scanner (nod32 or kaspersky) it wont eat away much system resources at all!

Back