Linux Doubles Market Share since December 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
According to the latest stats on NetMarketShare, Linux now accounts for 3.37% of the operating system market: the OS has seen a steady rise since May, and some believe that the driving force is Chrome OS. In contrast, both Windows and macOS saw a decline.

NetMarketShare’s stats include data on Windows, macOS, Linux, FreeBSD and OpenBSD; it’s presumed that Chrome OS factors into the Linux statistics because it runs the Linux kernel. Suppose that Chrome OS is included, this would explain why there has been such a bump for Linux in the month of August: It’s probably due to students or schools buying Chromebooks in time for the school year.

Give me a solid gaming experience and I would gladly switch. Too bad it will never happen with a good amount of games being DX only.
So, so true. While Valve and ZeniMax/Bethesda are pretty cool about getting their games on Linux, the support from other AAA devs is incredibly sparse, though getting better. I built my HEDT setup for video editing and gaming, and that combo in particular makes Windows my only choice.

I'm not surprised, where my wife work they are all migrating to Chromebooks.

I no longer have a dedicated Windows PC at home. My main system is Linux with a Win7 virtual machine if needed. My laptop is dualboot Linux/Win7. Of course it helps that I don't play any games, that would have been a pain on Linux.

AFAIK Chrome OS is based on Fedora, therefore it is GNU/Linux.

For those gamers wanting to switch to GNU/Linux, there is the possibility of virtualizatoin and PCIe passthrough.
You can automate the launch of applications inside the Windows VM.

I'm not surprised, where my wife work they are all migrating to Chromebooks.

I no longer have a dedicated Windows PC at home. My main system is Linux with a Win7 virtual machine if needed. My laptop is dualboot Linux/Win7. Of course it helps that I don't play any games, that would have been a pain on Linux.

No longer have a windows machine, yet you dual boot or use win 7 in a virtual machine. Let me know when you don't have to use your windows machine at all.

I switched the house to Linux Mint back in October last year. Game support is much much better than it was just a few years ago.

Did you know there's more games on Linux than in any of the current Gen consoles? Open your mind and stop making fucking excuses. Shit or get off the pot.

Give me a solid gaming experience and I would gladly switch. Too bad it will never happen with a good amount of games being DX only.

No longer have a windows machine, yet you dual boot or use win 7 in a virtual machine. Let me know when you don't have to use your windows machine at all.
I will the day the corporate world moves away from Windows. Unfortunately that day won't happen anytime soon so until then I'm stuck in this position.

I will the day the corporate world moves away from Windows. Unfortunately that day won't happen anytime soon so until then I'm stuck in this position.

The corporate world is going no where near that abomination called Chrome OS, not now, not ever. That is unless, of course, they really want Google to store all their data on Googles servers, which Google has full access too. :D I also feel sorry for some schools actually using Chrome OS, it basically is a dumb terminal OS that teaches the users nothing but to use highly limited devices. Not even hospitals or financial institutions are going to touch that abomination. (It is a limited dumb terminal browser, that is all.)

Google does not value your or a corporate users privacy, good luck with that.

Just got playing 2 hours of Saints Row the Third on Ubuntu. Worked fairly decently IMHO.

I started dual booting when Windows 10 came out. Like a lot of the other comments above, gaming is the main reason I'm keeping a version of Windows around.. All my normal computing/programming needs are covered just fine with Linux. Heck, there was even a printer driver for my Brothers printer.

I'm partially responsible for the rise in Linux you know. I probably created over 50 VMs in the last 3 months.
At home, I'm running Linux on 5 servers (3 are VMs). Plex works just fine on Linux.
I could run it for my desktop except I do like to play games from time to time. There still isn't a lot of support for the games I play.

Did you know there's more games on Linux than in any of the current Gen consoles? Open your mind and stop making fucking excuses. Shit or get off the pot.

Ok. You are right. I am going to switch right this moment. Because you said so. Someone making excuses is you. Way too many great games still have no Linux support. Fact.

How? How is that "not the same"? Because you have a keyboard and mouse now? Oh wait, you can use gamepads on your computer too. Oh and you can use better hardware, better displays, better sound devices, etc.

Please, fucking enlighten me how this is irrelevant? Because factually, it isn't. It's a gaming platform, and I'm comparing it to other gaming platforms. Just because you don't like the facts I'm presenting doesn't mean it isn't factual.

It is not the same and you know it.

And you're going to play literally every one of them? That's stupid guy. You can't physically play every single game on STEAM, or Origin, or whatever. Just because there are games that are not yet native on Linux, doesn't mean you can't game all your time away in Linux.

When is it going to be enough? 100%? 99.9%? Or when you actually start having fun? What if you could have fun right now with it?

Ok. You are right. I am going to switch right this moment. Because you said so. Someone making excuses is you. Way too many great games still have no Linux support. Fact.

I haven't touched a windows machine in over 12 months, outside of maybe login into a
The corporate world is going no where near that abomination called Chrome OS, not now, not ever. That is unless, of course, they really want Google to store all their data on Googles servers, which Google has full access too. :D I also feel sorry for some schools actually using Chrome OS, it basically is a dumb terminal OS that teaches the users nothing but to use highly limited devices. Not even hospitals or financial institutions are going to touch that abomination. (It is a limited dumb terminal browser, that is all.)

Good thing most real work is done in Linux then, since Winblows also steals your data now.
You might create your presentations, excel spreadsheets etc in Winblows, but at the end of the day, most of the computationally heavy-lifting is done in a Unix/Linux OS. Anyone who has any technical interest in PCs at all prefers Linux, simple as that. If you want the Fisher Price experience, stick with Winblows.
Also, obligatory emoji :penguin:

Well in fairness I still fire up dosbox from time to time.... :)

Wine is getting better, and has always been more then solid enough to fire up tax software and that sort of thing if your not doing it online these days.

Have you been in a school in 20 years ?

Windows machines in schools are locked down to the point of being dumb terminals as well. What is the difference really ?

How? How is that "not the same"? Because you have a keyboard and mouse now? Oh wait, you can use gamepads on your computer too. Oh and you can use better hardware, better displays, better sound devices, etc.

Please, fucking enlighten me how this is irrelevant? Because factually, it isn't. It's a gaming platform, and I'm comparing it to other gaming platforms. Just because you don't like the facts I'm presenting doesn't mean it isn't factual.

What they are saying is they can't always play all those brand new over hyped games that are almost always hollow empty glittery junk. Still many of them make great benchmark games for review sites... even if no one actually plays them after the first 30 days of their launch.

Now I won't argue there are not more games on windows that is just a fact. Are there more of the "AAA" games on windows well yes of course. If that is your main concern then hey you may want to run a windows gaming only machine or dual boot.

However as an older long time "gamer" I have come to realise over the years that most of the "AAA" games I have gotten all psyched about over the years have left me wanting. Don't get me wrong their are gems in there. Still in my opinion "AAA" gaming has turned into an over commercialized segment of the industry where very few of their offerings are worth my time.

Linux gaming support has come A LONG way in the last few years... and if like me (and I'm not alone) your an older gamer that appreciates games with more depth. Linux has a great selection of indie games... and a growing selection of the best "AAA" offerings. Don't get me wrong their are omissions and a handful of games I would love to see hit Linux... still its not the wasteland it used to be and some still complain it is either.

Linux gaming support has come A LONG way in the last few years... and if like me (and I'm not alone) your an older gamer that appreciates games with more depth. Linux has a great selection of indie games... and a growing selection of the best "AAA" offerings. Don't get me wrong their are omissions and a handful of games I would love to see hit Linux... still its not the wasteland it used to be and some still complain it is either.

Which "AAA" gaming titles is Linux seeing growth? Another desktop survey related specially to gaming saw Linux share collapse.

Which "AAA" gaming titles is Linux seeing growth?

Oh yes please lets argue individual titles for a few hours.

Fire up steam gog and take a look around... I don't think which AAA titles are on Linux is exactly secret.

If your too lazy for that you could always just add a site like https://www.gamingonlinux.com/ to your news site roll they do a good job of reporting which games are coming which are moving to vulcan ect.

You've literally crossed the insane boundary saying this to a person with two PC VR HMDs sitting next to them.

I know your the rockenrollaofpctolla... I bow to your greatness. For everyone else please disregard all past posts by me... I am in awe of heatles greatness. For now on... whatever he says man. He knows the way of the PC, I am just a humble disciple. All hail the rockenrollaofpctolla may his greatness shine.

The corporate world is going no where near that abomination called Chrome OS, not now, not ever.

Then I'm afraid I have some bad news for you. ChromeOS Enterprise. Only a matter of time until the Android enabled desktop OS makes landfall. Despite the course change with Andromeda, a desktop x86 OS from Google is coming.

And now neither does Microsoft if you run Windows 10, even the enterprise version leaks telemetry. Sorry, sparky. Google is at least upfront about data collection being used for advertising. Microsoft on the other hand is completely subversive about the 2000+ data points they collect for "software improvements and crash dumps" - gimme a fuckin break. The real reason is to feed their Big Data profits.

Then I'm afraid I have some bad news for you. ChromeOS Enterprise. Only a matter of time until the Android enabled desktop OS makes landfall. Despite the course change with Andromeda, a desktop x86 OS from Google is coming.

Sweet, no doubt a Chrome desktop OS will have and telemetry issues that 10 haters complain of.

And now neither does Microsoft if you run Windows 10, even the enterprise version leaks telemetry.

You can say this all you want but I work at a mega bank of been looking into this with the best and the brightest for some time and nope. This isn't a matter of fandom or being paid off, there's just no way a bank like this can work if Windows 10 is what people like you say it is. It's just not possible. In not way shape or form. There's no way to pay us off Windows 10 destroys our business, Microsoft doesn't have the money.

Microsoft doesn't have the money.

Well despite the hate... I do respect that they have 126 billion in cash sitting in an account somewhere. I mean its not Apples 256 billion. Still money they have.

Yeah, there will be more people adopting it as people refine it and make it easier to work with, but by its very nature, it is unable to become a decent competitor to Windows, for one reason: consistency. There is no central driving force that pushes all the components of Linux to be designed to operate under the same logic, and therefore it will forever be harder to learn than Windows. As much as Windows changes from version to version, nearly all the components operate pretty much the same way and under the same logic, and is therefore easy for users to learn, particularly average users. So, Windows will always dominate.

Linux has more games, sure. 90% of them no one has heard of and have no player base. They are shitty games made by shitty companies. Therefore, it's not comparable.

Because it's a comparison of Windows v. Linux. for gaming. For gaming, Windows has on average greater speed and far better compatibility. The only reason to use Linux is for other factors not directly related to gaming (system security, customizability, etc.). A console isn't in the same race. It has less games, less options and you can't do much else with it besides games and multimedia consumption.

And you're going to play literally every one of them? That's stupid guy. You can't physically play every single game on STEAM, or Origin, or whatever. Just because there are games that are not yet native on Linux, doesn't mean you can't game all your time away in Linux.

When is it going to be enough? 100%? 99.9%? Or when you actually start having fun? What if you could have fun right now with it?
This argument again. It's called the long tail. Of course no one is going to play the entire games library, but a person may find a genre or theme that they specifically really like and play every game they can like that. If all you want to do is play "a game", sure, Linux is totally viable. So is the Atari 2600. If you want to play as many games as possible that you're interested in, then yeah, 99% compatibility is a pretty good goal. Otherwise, you keep running into walls half the time you find a game you're interested in playing, but can't play it due to you being on Linux. I don't need 100% game compatibility, I just need 100% game compatibility of games that I personally want to play, same as the next person. Collectively, that starts approaching 100% because different people have different tastes and want to run different games. You think if Dosbox only supported 1/3 of games out there it would be lauded the way it is?

Last edited:
I haven't touched a windows machine in over 12 months, outside of maybe login into a

Good thing most real work is done in Linux then, since Winblows also steals your data now.
You might create your presentations, excel spreadsheets etc in Winblows, but at the end of the day, most of the computationally heavy-lifting is done in a Unix/Linux OS. Anyone who has any technical interest in PCs at all prefers Linux, simple as that. If you want the Fisher Price experience, stick with Winblows.
Also, obligatory emoji :penguin:

Anyone who has an technical interest in PCs prefers all OS's, simple as that. If you want to limit yourself to just one experience, that is on you. (Also, anyone who has any technical interest would never put down the interest of another.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back