Linux Distro Suggestions

I do want to ask about this- I get that it would be built on the latest Ubuntu LTS (so 18.04.x), but will it receive support for the same period as the base Ubuntu LTS?

Or would one want to install Ubuntu LTS 18.04.x first, and then install KDE Neon libraries for long support?

They pull directly from the Ubuntu repos so LTS support is as long as Canonical supports it. However, if you install KDE Neon now based 18.04 they will probably re-base it on 20.04 and stop updating KDE on 18.04 (but 18.04 would still get the Canonical updates to the base OS). I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's what they did with 16.04 to 18.04. So you'll have to do the distro upgrade every 2 years to keep KDE on the latest and greatest shiny build.

I do want to ask about this- I get that it would be built on the latest Ubuntu LTS (so 18.04.x), but will it receive support for the same period as the base Ubuntu LTS?

Or would one want to install Ubuntu LTS 18.04.x first, and then install KDE Neon libraries for long support?

KDE Neon will receive Ubuntu support for the full five years, however 'developer' (optimizations specifically related to the KDE Neon distro) support will be limited to three years.

I feel like I've missed something? Why would PopOS! set off IDS when updating?

Well, anything reaching out to repos should, and it should also fingerprint differently, compared to a corporate Windows load. It screams 'uncontrolled system', and with proper security, should trigger a port disable.

Well, anything reaching out to repos should, and it should also fingerprint differently, compared to a corporate Windows load. It screams 'uncontrolled system', and with proper security, should trigger a port disable.

If they are really serious they even have boot from usb disabled to begin with. I mean simple bios passwords are not super secure... but it does stop the shady night janitors types from mining bitcoin all night long. lol

The entire Windows network should be the core network safely tucked behind Linux servers. Locking down and controlling Windows updating should be the priority here considering how unreliable and open to attack using compromised certificates it is.

The entire Windows network should be the core network safely tucked behind Linux servers. Locking down and controlling Windows updating should be the priority here considering how unreliable and open to attack using compromised certificates it is.

Don't disagree. A rogue system shouldn't be able to access anything. The main point is that when it does it should set off alarm bells, thus, if just using Linux to do basic hardware testing, unplug from the network first. To do basic network hardware testing (seeing a 1Gbase-T duplex link in this case), use another system.

Necro'ing a bit: just loaded up Manjaro XFCE, and man is it slick. Got most stuff working once I enabled the AUR (needed Spotify, Chrome, DaVinci Resolve so far). Also working a few issues like my Logitech MX Anywhere not pairing over Bluetooth, and I'm swapping the board out because the damn thing won't push the UEFI out of the dGPU. I wind up having HDMI out of the iGPU for Linux distros, while Windows 10 Pro (up to date as of yesterday) has no problem with it. Specs, as sig is for my primary desktop:

Core components

8700K -- currently undervolting
2 x 8GB 3200C16 -- at 2666 on current board, problem two for the board
ASUS Strix B360-I Gaming -- on my third CMOS reset, second after updating BIOS, board a) does not run memory faster than 2666, it will refuse to post, and b) the video issue above, being replaced by a Gigabyte Z390 I AORUS PRO WiFi, first Gigabyte in a decade, but it has what I need on it
EVGA GTX970 SC2 (I think), dual-fan cooler, lowering power limit to keep it stable
Noctua NH-L9i HSF with grey Notcua 92mm fan swap
Corsair 600W SFX PSU
A few M.2 drives
A few old spinners
All in a Cryorig Taku, which while pretty slick looking, is going to need tremendous TLC to get running smooth with the higher-TDP components above.

Outputs

Acer XB271HU 1440p165 IPS with G-Sync -- looking forward to testing this with Linux games!
Topping DX7 headphone amp powering a pair of Audio-Techica W1000Z using single-ended output (have other headphones I can use)
Kanto YU2 speakers in matte white on order with stands and pads, to be fed over USB if the DAC doesn't suck, otherwise using the Topping's single-ended output

Inputs

Full-size Massdrop x XMIT Hall-effect keyboard with the full-size wooden wrist-rest
Grey MX Anywhere and white G203 Prodigy mice
Blue Snowball on way overbuilt kickdrum microphone arm

I'm really looking forward to putting the system through its paces. I want to do the board swap today and work on getting the cooling a little better and perhaps work out the other bugs, then I'll move on to using the system on a more regular basis and getting pictures over to the Linux Desktops thread :).

Back