Linux, debian, nvidia, help needed

brendon2020

[H]ard|Gawd
Just installed debian and downloaded the latest drivers from nvidia but when i run the run file i get this error,
ERROR: Unable to determine the NVIDIA kernel module filename

running the 2.4.18bf2.4 kernel, will update to 2.6 when i can run menu config. Thanks in advance.

It's not clear to me what file you are running. The nvidia-installer?

> when i can run menu config

You don't need X to do that. 'make menuconfig'. You do need "ncurses-dev" though.

(Don't forget to install "module-init-tools" first)

Suggest you customize and compile your own kernel, and then go back to getting the nvidia module compiled and installed.

thanks for the reply, thought i had to compile my own kernel first. Its strange because i never got this error before.

You don't need to compile a kernel for that first, but I'm not sure what your error is since the nvidia installer has always worked for me. :(

yeah, its always worked for me as well, i've got the kernel source and everything. Since I will upgrade to 2.6x anyway, i'll try that first and see if that corrects the issue. So right now my challenge is to compile a working kernel with p4 support, HT.

Did you try saying no when it asked to try downloading precompiled modules?

With the new installer, it's like a 45s process for me; I just agree to the licence, say I don't want to download precompiled bits (which you're not going to use unless you're using one of the stock kernels for a major distro), and then it compiles & runs.

...where in teh process does the error come up?

the error comes at the end, and i view the log but it just says exactly whats on the screen.
Unable to determine kernel version
make: *** [select_makefile] Error1

With downloading the precompiled version i say no to it and it tries to compile it but i get that error. I even tried the extract-only option and make install in the usr/src dir.

Guess you should ask nvidia, or try to determine _how_ the script tries to find the current kernel version.

I'm guessing it doesn't use 'uname' but check that 'uname -r' gives a sane value anyhow.

found a solution to it, extract the files (run the installer with --extract-only). cd into that directory, then cd into the src dir (usr/src/nv) and type make SYSINCLUDE=/path/to/kernel/headers install

Back