Linux compatible miniPCI wireless card?

N

NecessaryEvil

I'm getting a laptop that will come with a PCMCIA WiFi card, but supports internal wireless.

I want to get a card that'll give me the least headaches in Linux (Fedora Core 2 & 3). 802.11g is great, b is enough.

Any suggestions?

Also, the compaq this is being put into is a Celeron 2.0/ ATI/ALI based chipset. (for 425, I couldn't argue). Are there any issues with running an intel wifi card on this chipset, or are wifi cards like their PCMCIA and PCI counterparts, where manufacturer doesn't matter.

No such thing... There are some that are supposed to be, but you will find just as many users that have problems with the supported cards as you find using unsupported.

Wireless pcmcia is problematic even for the "supported" cards. It is not plug and play :p Expect it to be a headache unless you fork out cash for retail software.

Just try to use ndiswrapper on the built in card. It honestly behooves you to learn how to use it.

newegg is selling the intel 2200bg cheap now.
that + ndis wrapper = win.

I set it up in about 20 minutes on FC2 with a 54g Linksys card.

Basically it allows you to use the windows driver in linux.

I had great performance with my card using ndis.

interesting.

I know that the wireless card I had in my X30 worked; it was PRISM based...but I don't know where to find that card now. (it was an mPCI 802.11b/56k modem combo card)

Anyone know of an mPCI card that's PRISM based?

the one you had.....try ibm's site.
or order one through them. (overpriced probably)

I know that some (or most) linux wireless drivers allow you full access to the raido or just enought to see the wireless control packets. Does the wrapper allow that as well or do you run into the limitations that windows imposes?

Back