Linux Build of Mad Max Under Vulkan API Boosts Nvidia 1080 Ti Performance 100%

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Feral Interactive has released a new Linux Mad Max build that brings the Vulkan API to the game. This new build alleviates the CPU bottlenecks that the OpenGL version was plagued with and boosts performance of the Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti by up to 100%! This performance boost is prevalent throughout the bench-marking that Phoronix detailed in their performance review. At the points where it isn't a 100% boost it is still a substantial boost to performance!

This is a great showing for what the Vulkan API can bring to gaming even in a non Windows environment. On Feral Interactive's Facebook page, they are answering questions from the community, so if you're a Linux gamer make sure to check that out! I hope that they are considering bringing the Vulkan build to Windows also.

Tests completed for this launch-day comparison were several of the NVIDIA Pascal cards including the GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, GTX 1060, GTX 1070, and GTX 1080 Ti. On Friday I'll likely have a larger comparison completed with the complete Pascal line-up plus Maxwell and some Kepler cards too. All of this NVIDIA Linux driver testing with the latest Mad Max public beta build is using the 378.13 driver release. While the GPU usage, is finally able to be maxed out with Vulkan thanks to no longer being CPU bound as is the case with OpenGL.

I just beat Mad Max a few days ago. Lots of great idea's doing a much better job of utilizing the benefit of the "Sandbox" environment than a lot of games I've played, but the story was very under developed. All the "Top Dog" Warlords are identical, dull and easily beaten. You're introduced to 4-5 town elder types that give you tons of missions but don't really have a plot to speak of and when you finish they're quests they dont have an ending or any can of payoff. Then the ending is about 5 seconds long between you making it to the only "City" in the game and the credits. I feel like they worked really hard on the environment and then just shoved it out the door.

damn!
this was a great testcase for Feral. If they can start rolling this out to other ports!!!
just as I am about to build a nice ryzen system as well :)

I just beat Mad Max a few days ago. Lots of great idea's doing a much better job of utilizing the benefit of the "Sandbox" environment than a lot of games I've played, but the story was very under developed. All the "Top Dog" Warlords are identical, dull and easily beaten. You're introduced to 4-5 town elder types that give you tons of missions but don't really have a plot to speak of and when you finish they're quests they dont have an ending or any can of payoff. Then the ending is about 5 seconds long between you making it to the only "City" in the game and the credits. I feel like they worked really hard on the environment and then just shoved it out the door.

That's pretty accurate to the movies. The movies aren't deep on story, characters are incredibly one-dimensional, the ending is just a short thing that sends Max off on his next journey. Mad Max is all about style, world, and crazy designs. Less so about well developed characters and a strong story.

Awesome!!

If only Rocksteady/WB re-released all Arkham games in linux, i would finally remove that W10 spying machine from my network.

That's pretty accurate to the movies. The movies aren't deep on story, characters are incredibly one-dimensional, the ending is just a short thing that sends Max off on his next journey. Mad Max is all about style, world, and crazy designs. Less so about well developed characters and a strong story.

That's fine as far as it goes, but there is a different expectation when you are "watching a story" from when "you are living one."

just saying.

It's interesting to point out that AMD's opengl performance is higher than Nvidia's in that game. So it's hard to say if that game has amazing benefits from Vulkan, or the OpenGL implementation is done poorly?

It's interesting to point out that AMD's opengl performance is higher than Nvidia's in that game. So it's hard to say if that game has amazing benefits from Vulkan, or the OpenGL implementation is done poorly?
Extremely poorly it no where matches the windows performance. all the vulkan does in linux is bring it around the windows performance

In case you hadn't noticed. Gaming on Linux is awesome.

I just got out of an evening with a bud doing co-op Heroes of the Storm and Starcraft 2, and neither of them are even native. Blizzard somehow made both games run generally better without me even realising it, or doing any work....

So... why again is everyone upset when people propose Linux as an option again?

I just got out of an evening with a bud doing co-op Heroes of the Storm and Starcraft 2, and neither of them are even native. Blizzard somehow made both games run generally better without me even realising it, or doing any work....

Sorry but SC2 is a terrible experience under Linux. Runs like shit under Wine, not to mention their launcher's HTML5 forms not working at all, updates breaking the whole thing, etc. It's why I am still running Windows 8.1 on my gaming rig.

Sorry but SC2 is a terrible experience under Linux. Runs like shit under Wine, not to mention their launcher's HTML5 forms not working at all, updates breaking the whole thing, etc. It's why I am still running Windows 8.1 on my gaming rig.

Not everything runs perfectly under Wine.

Extremely poorly it no where matches the windows performance. all the vulkan does in linux is bring it around the windows performance

Because it's not running a DX to OGL wrapper, it's running an API designed to work on more than just Windows.

How do you work that out?

RX480 = ~GTX1070/80 (non Ti).

Benchmarks from Phoronix as follows, unfortunately no 1080 non Ti results, but we can rough it out:

1920 x 1080, Graphics high, Camp Hollow point:

GTX 1070:

OGL - 70.12
Vulkan - 135.79

GTX 1080Ti:

OGL - 99.66
Vulkan - 216.38

RX480:

OGL - 78.09
Vulkan - 75.03

So considering the 1080 (non Ti) would sit somewhere between the 1070 and 1080Ti I'd say Nvidia performance is looking pretty good in relation to the RX480.

1920 x 1080, Graphics high, Stronghold:

GTX 1070:

OGL - 51.21
Vulkan - 83.27

GTX 1080Ti:

OGL - 65.25
Vulkan - 82.00

RX480:

OGL - 44.72
Vulkan - 66.73

So considering the 1080 (non Ti) would sit somewhere between the 1070 and 1080Ti I'd say Nvidia performance is looking pretty good in relation to the RX480.

1920 x 1080, Graphics high, Hope, Glory and Dog is dead:

GTX 1070:

OGL - 76.18
Vulkan - 129.99

GTX 1080Ti:

OGL - 123.35
Vulkan - 206.25

RX480:

OGL - 79.97
Vulkan - 66.84

1920 x 1080, Graphics high, Landover:

GTX 1070:

OGL - 89.35
Vulkan - 151.33

GTX 1080Ti:

OGL - 118.09
Vulkan - 225.90

RX480:

OGL - 93.08
Vulkan - 80.19

Once again, considering the 1080 (non Ti) would sit somewhere between the 1070 and 1080Ti I'd say Nvidia performance is looking pretty good in relation to the RX480.

The remaining benchmarks show the same trend. I'm not too sure how you would assume that AMD's OGL performance is higher than Nvidia's figures in Mad Max? As you can see from these results that's just not the case at all.

All figures taken from the following reviews:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia-vlk-madmax&num=1

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=radv-mad-max&num=1

Last edited:
The RX 480 is quite a bit slower than a 1070 in windows. It's about equal or slightly better/worse than a GTX 1060.

Linux gaming would be great if they had the games I care about. But again, you end up being forced to play a certain group of games or deal with worse performance. If you are ok with that, then by all means use Linux.

The RX 480 is quite a bit slower than a 1070 in windows. It's about equal or slightly better/worse than a GTX 1060.

Linux gaming would be great if they had the games I care about. But again, you end up being forced to play a certain group of games or deal with worse performance. If you are ok with that, then by all means use Linux.

Yes, but we're not comparing DX here, we're comparing OGL. Most of the reviews I can find compare the RX480 to a GTX 1070.

Gaming under Linux is improving all the time and open API's will improve the performance situation considerably. Even when running native Linux ports using DX to OGL wrappers performance is adequate - There's no benefit to gaming at 150fps when you can't get a monitor with higher than 144Hz.

The situation shouldn't be "if you're OK with loosing a handful of titles or loosing performance when performance is well above what's reasonably necessary under Windows, than by all means use Linux". The situation should be "If you're OK with the numerous issues surrounding Windows 10, issues that are guaranteed to get worse as time goes on, than by all means use Windows 10".

would this be compatible with steam os? meaning will i get the same performance as ubuntu? thanks

So, what people are getting upset? Me thinks you think to highly of what you think. :D Although, bring in the games I would play, make them native, fully supported as they are in Windows and then get back to me. Otherwise, this is the same as it has always been.

I was doing gaming on Linux long before most of you probably even thought to try Linux.

would this be compatible with steam os? meaning will i get the same performance as ubuntu? thanks

As I recall from the announcement, it is not currently tested to work on SteamOS, at least during this beta. You can give it a try, but it may not be supported because SteamOS is running older versions of xorg and whatnot compared to what they setup this comparison against. I seem to remember a post where Feral is actually using Antergos (ie ArchLinux with a GUI installer + some sane defaults including a desktop environment installed, yet still compatible with the same files from Arch repos and the AUR).

In general, I'm very pleased to see this progress. As a big supporter of Linux for a variety of reasons (ethics, privacy etc) I'm encouraged by the increasing support for the platform. While first party support and parity releases are great, its excellent to see companies like Feral and Aspyr helping to make top quality ports for Linux. This also showcases the excellent future we should have with Vulkan and even more reason to continue to advocate for that particular API. Vulkan only needs to reach "critical mass" with enough major engines (ie Unity, Unreal, Lumberjack etc) and games supporting it to become the defacto graphics API; a situation that would result in benefit on every platform and operating system that it supports. Gaming on Linux/OSX (and in general) will be much better if most games support Vulkan, making multi-platform support and porting much easier and highly performing. Even titles that aren't yet natively Linux ready will lilkely benefit, as the open nature of Vulkan will help even those running through WINE / CrossOver and perhaps virtualization with pass through as well.

Speaking of Mad Max specifically, anyone who is interested in a well crafted open world action title with a few unique features, give it a try! If you liked games similar to the Batman Arkham series, Just Cause series, Shadow of Mordor, the like you'll probably enjoy Mad Max - which despite its relatively close promotion with the last movie, does not follow that storyline and isn't a "movie tie in game" but instead a tale of its own in a unique IP. The keys can be picked up extremely inexpensively these days - often under $10! If you're interested and want some guidance finding it, let me know and I'll point you in the right direction.

So, what people are getting upset? Me thinks you think to highly of what you think. :D Although, bring in the games I would play, make them native, fully supported as they are in Windows and then get back to me. Otherwise, this is the same as it has always been.

I was doing gaming on Linux long before most of you probably even thought to try Linux.

[bullshit!]

*Don't worry, his blocked me, so it's all good.

As I recall from the announcement, it is not currently tested to work on SteamOS, at least during this beta. You can give it a try, but it may not be supported because SteamOS is running older versions of xorg and whatnot compared to what they setup this comparison against. I seem to remember a post where Feral is actually using Antergos (ie ArchLinux with a GUI installer + some sane defaults including a desktop environment installed, yet still compatible with the same files from Arch repos and the AUR).

In general, I'm very pleased to see this progress. As a big supporter of Linux for a variety of reasons (ethics, privacy etc) I'm encouraged by the increasing support for the platform. While first party support and parity releases are great, its excellent to see companies like Feral and Aspyr helping to make top quality ports for Linux. This also showcases the excellent future we should have with Vulkan and even more reason to continue to advocate for that particular API. Vulkan only needs to reach "critical mass" with enough major engines (ie Unity, Unreal, Lumberjack etc) and games supporting it to become the defacto graphics API; a situation that would result in benefit on every platform and operating system that it supports. Gaming on Linux/OSX (and in general) will be much better if most games support Vulkan, making multi-platform support and porting much easier and highly performing. Even titles that aren't yet natively Linux ready will lilkely benefit, as the open nature of Vulkan will help even those running through WINE / CrossOver and perhaps virtualization with pass through as well.

Speaking of Mad Max specifically, anyone who is interested in a well crafted open world action title with a few unique features, give it a try! If you liked games similar to the Batman Arkham series, Just Cause series, Shadow of Mordor, the like you'll probably enjoy Mad Max - which despite its relatively close promotion with the last movie, does not follow that storyline and isn't a "movie tie in game" but instead a tale of its own in a unique IP. The keys can be picked up extremely inexpensively these days - often under $10! If you're interested and want some guidance finding it, let me know and I'll point you in the right direction.

Well said. Mad Max looks so good I'm downloading it and supporting the movement as we speak!

[bullshit!]

*Don't worry, his blocked me, so it's all good.

Oh, don't worry, I blocked you but every now and then, I unhide the ignored posts anyways. So, what part of what I said is Bullshit?

Also, let see if you know this one: What was the name of the subscription service back in 2006 that made games work in Linux?

Oh, don't worry, I blocked you but every now and then, I unhide the ignored posts anyways. So, what part of what I said is Bullshit?

Ah! Nice! I've been testing to see if I could get a response.

I don't block you, you make me laugh. I don't believe you've really used a modern Linux desktop distro, let alone gamed under one, at all.

Adoption isn't instantaneous, everyone knows this! If you want adoption to increase at a faster rate, support Linux.

Ah! Nice! I've been testing to see if I could get a response.

I don't block you, you make me laugh. I don't believe you've really used a modern Linux desktop distro, let alone gamed under one, at all.

Adoption isn't instantaneous, everyone knows this! If you want adoption to increase at a faster rate, support Linux.

The fact that you do not believe it does not matter, I know what I have used, where I have been and what I have learned. Also, you still have not answered my question, I am waiting.

I did answer your question and I achieved my goal of seeing if you blocked me or not.

It's obvious you don't. How disappointing.

Nope, you did not answer but that is ok, no one know everything. :) But I will ask one more time: What game subscription service in 2006 was available to convert games to work in Linux?

Nope, you did not answer but that is ok, no one know everything. :) But I will ask one more time: What game subscription service in 2006 was available to convert games to work in Linux?

I don't give a crap about any game subscription platform available under Linux in 2006.

You claimed to have used desktop Linux, I claimed bullshit as I don't believe you've used a modern version of desktop Linux let alone gamed under a modern desktop version of desktop Linux at all. As you, yourself stated - Probably since about 2006! A lot has changed since 2006!

You're throwing around claims about desktop Linux in 2017 and I don't believe you use it, especially to game. Therefore, like another on these forums, your comments are regurgitated bullshit based on the rantings of other biased Windows users who also, don't use desktop Linux in 2017!

Take some advise from your sig and let it go.

Some of us have been playing game on Linux since the 90's..

There was Loki games as a porting outfit. There was also Linux game publishing. There was also cedega (a nasty "fork" of wine) that ran a subscription model to target specific games

It took valve to really put some backing behind it to break the ice. Now feral and Aspyr Media are doing good ports. Most game engines have supported Linux and it is only iD that turned their backs on Linux once they were bought. Up until then the doom games and quake gamed came to Linux and they would open source their older engines engines

I don't give a crap about any game subscription platform available under Linux in 2006.

You claimed to have used desktop Linux, I claimed bullshit as I don't believe you've used a modern version of desktop Linux let alone gamed under a modern desktop version of desktop Linux at all. As you, yourself stated - Probably since about 2006! A lot has changed since 2006!

You're throwing around claims about desktop Linux in 2017 and I don't believe you use it, especially to game. Therefore, like another on these forums, your comments are regurgitated bullshit based on the rantings of other biased Windows users who also, don't use desktop Linux in 2017!

Take some advise from your sig and let it go.

Not the brightest bulb on the string then, eh? That's cool, never claimed I was either. But, I do not what I have used, what I have gamed on and what I have used, you believing something does not make it so.
Some of us have been playing game on Linux since the 90's..

There was Loki games as a porting outfit. There was also Linux game publishing. There was also cedega (a nasty "fork" of wine) that ran a subscription model to target specific games

It took valve to really put some backing behind it to break the ice. Now feral and Aspyr Media are doing good ports. Most game engines have supported Linux and it is only iD that turned their backs on Linux once they were bought. Up until then the doom games and quake gamed came to Linux and they would open source their older engines engines

That was it, thanks naib, I could not for the life of me remember it. Cedega was actually pretty good except that they never really helped with the games I played at that time. Also, it started earlier than I remembered, 2004. Like yourself, I have been playing games on and off with Linux since the 90's as well. I just finally lost interest in doing it exclusively since it never really took off.

My two favorite games, Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Star Trek: Bridge Commander had only one of them ever work in Linux.

So.e of us have been playing game on Linux since the 90's..

Some of us, in fact many Windows users, are still stuck in the 90's regarding desktop Linux. It is for this very reason that I'm not interested in the 90's. Furthermore, I think you'll find it was very late 90's if not 2000's as desktop PC gaming was pretty thin in the early to mid 90's and way to expensive.

Not the brightest bulb on the string then, eh? That's cool, never claimed I was either. But, I do not what I have used, what I have gamed on and what I have used, you believing something does not make it so.

Not the brightest in the string?

Lol! Awesome! Showing some balls! I like it. You make claims based around an OS you haven't used since 2006.

Well i was playing doom and quake in the late 90s when. I was at uni when i was introduced to Linux.

Considering last real OS I dealt with was AmigaOS to then see 95 was ... Quaint

Been using Linux since then so meh..

Well i was playing doom and quake in the late 90s when. I was at uni when i was introduced to Linux.

Yeah, I miss the Amiga OS, best gaming OS and hardware ever made! :)

Reactions: DPI
like this

Doom and Quake were it. Compared to the 68k platform x86 was pretty pitiful as a gaming platform and not terribly well supported at all.

Suprisingly, Doom and Quake was also where Linux gaming started - Now there's over 3000 titles on Steam alone and growing every day....

Last edited:
I just finally lost interest in doing it exclusively since it never really took off.

Well now it's obvious it's taking off.

So rather than assume bullshit, how about showing a little support considering you, yourself have claimed that you aren't a fan of Windows 10 in past posts.

Well now it's obvious it's taking off.

So rather than assume bullshit, how about showing a little support considering you, yourself have claimed that you aren't a fan of Windows 10 in past posts.

Literally, I laughed out loud. Dude, it is not taking off anymore now than it was then but, think whatever you like, I know I will be dealing with the way things are. Besides, I can do a VM of Linux if need be when I need it or just do it on a spare computer at the office. Ultimately, whether Windows, Linux of OSX, they are all the same to me when I sit down in front of them.

Back