Linux bootable USB distro option?

SpongeBob

The Contraceptive Under the Sea
So I have a old macbook core2duo version, I would like to use it for email/libre office/web browsing. The version of OSX on it is old enough that pretty much nothing is supported on it, thanks Apple. So I'm curious if there is an easy version of linux out there like Mint or something that I can boot from a usb that is more than a trial version? As in I would like to save documents and such in there as well. Not just use it as a trial mode type thing that I can play around with. Anything like that exist?

I use Linux Live USB creator:

LinuxLive USB Creator

Usually works great, but I've found the occasional disk made with it doesn't work. Was able to make a disk recently to install Mint 18 onto my main desktop with no issues.

So I have a old macbook core2duo version, I would like to use it for email/libre office/web browsing. The version of OSX on it is old enough that pretty much nothing is supported on it, thanks Apple. So I'm curious if there is an easy version of linux out there like Mint or something that I can boot from a usb that is more than a trial version? As in I would like to save documents and such in there as well. Not just use it as a trial mode type thing that I can play around with. Anything like that exist?

Why do you complain when Apple gives you free OS upgrades? Why don't you upgrade?

Why do you complain when Apple gives you free OS upgrades? Why don't you upgrade?
It depends on what specific model it is. IIRC, Lion dropped support for non 64bit C2Ds, and Mountain Lion dropped a bit more models. It's quite probable that the machine will not run a maintained flavor of OSX/macOS anymore.

Perfect for looking at Linux, IMO. :D

He probably can't just upgrade that macbook, I have a 2007 24" iMac that can't upgrade to macOS Sierra even though it runs El Capitan just fine.

It depends on what specific model it is. IIRC, Lion dropped support for non 64bit C2Ds, and Mountain Lion dropped a bit more models. It's quite probable that the machine will not run a maintained flavor of OSX/macOS anymore.

Perfect for looking at Linux, IMO. :D

Yes I'm all for linux naturally, just wondered why he says Apple is not providing upgrades. I was not aware that there are Intel based older macs that are no longer supported.

If you have a windows box available to setup the USB, then I found the Universal USB Installer to be really easy. This How-To-Geek article walks through the process.

I just tried it with Ubuntu 16.04 and can confirm it'll persist silly cat pictures over a reboot as advertised.

I use Linux Live USB creator:

LinuxLive USB Creator

Usually works great, but I've found the occasional disk made with it doesn't work. Was able to make a disk recently to install Mint 18 onto my main desktop with no issues.

I recommend Rufus since it even keeps Syslinux up to date once you apply any ISO or DD image to a USB drive. I find it has a much cleaner interface as well.
Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

If you want something to boot from USB and that is super fast, look for a puppy variative. For example simplicity linux.

Back