linux blow to windows

Autopia

Limp Gawd
i know this will upset a lot of die hard windows fans here on this forum, but i found this really interesting, HP has created a server with a size that will reduce the size of data centers, but what I like is this the operating system they are going to start developing will be base on linux and android, more more companies are moving away from micro$oft while micro$oft moves to cloud services. I can't help but think that micro$oft sees the writing on the wall, office for apple and android.
"On top of that, HP is working on a brand new operating system for The Machine based on Linux. And another one based on Android, Fink continued:"
Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/hp-announces-plans-to-destroy-windows-2014-6#ixzz34QctrzJa
I find this exciting competition will move people to create something really cool. with pc gaming growing now those of us who like to game will be looking forward to a new operating system. exciting times in pc enthusiast world.

I think the article writer is a bit dumb. HP was talking about a custom made linux for their solid state memory which is to be used only in servers and somehow the writer made the leap to whole windows ecosystem.

There are huge problems to be solved before linux can fully replace Windows, mainly gaming. In office use it can already replace at least 80% of general use cases.

I think the article writer is a bit dumb. HP was talking about a custom made linux for their solid state memory which is to be used only in servers and somehow the writer made the leap to whole windows ecosystem.

There are huge problems to be solved before linux can fully replace Windows, mainly gaming. In office use it can already replace at least 80% of general use cases.

Android is not server base operating system, not that I know of. I personally believe by the way micro$oft has responded in the last yr shows they know big changes are coming in the future. rather than try to compete they will offer windows 8. smaller faster running operating systems is where everything is moving to. bloated operating systems is a thing of the past!

ahahahahhahahahaha *gasp* hahahahahahahahah HP could fuck up calling the sky blue. And HPnix has done SOOOOOOOOO WELLL

problems to be solved before linux can fully replace Windows, mainly gaming

I think if they would put all games out for linux then windows would no longer be needed in the home.

Hey I have a friend that purchased office 365...what a fing rip off. Its $10 a month and he uses word about 3 or 4 times a month. So it cost $3 every time he uses it?
I asked what else and he didn't say anything for a while, finally said oh I use the spreadsheet some times.

Microsoft is such a rip off, they have done nothing new in 10 years just keep repackaging the same thing and wanting more money.
Now they are talking about no more os purchases we want $150 a year to lease windows.
ok thats inovation?
Apple os upgrades cost what $30.

and office for apple is a lot cheaper then office for windows

Yeah, after the first or second use of the $ instead of spelling out Microsoft, most of my ability to take the OP seriously went out the window.

lol micro$oft lollolololololololololollolololol breathe in lololololololololloololoolollolllolllololloloolllol hyperventilate. :rolleyes:

Since so little is known about the architecture behind The Machine beyond unready for (reliable) commercial market things like silicon photonics and memristors, it's a bit early to declare the established market dead, regardless of what OS it runs. This is the dumbest thread posted here in a while.

+1 dumbest thread in a while.

One of the few attempts to stir the pot of windows and linux that resulted in little flaming about the operating system war or even Microsoft but a total assult on the OP how awesome.

I think the article writer is a bit dumb. HP was talking about a custom made linux for their solid state memory which is to be used only in servers and somehow the writer made the leap to whole windows ecosystem..

Memristor is not solid state memory, in fact memristor cannot exist in a solid state format. It is a completely different technology and may be a replacement altogether for solid state.

Android is not server base operating system, not that I know of. I personally believe by the way micro$oft has responded in the last yr shows they know big changes are coming in the future. rather than try to compete they will offer windows 8. smaller faster running operating systems is where everything is moving to. bloated operating systems is a thing of the past!

First there was nothing in there about desktops period. Second Android is built on Linux. Third, they were talking about developing an entire new OS, not just something based off Linux or Android. This was also at a conference sponsored by MS and this particular system was just being developed for Data Center purposes. It was a generic server environment. There are problems with this particular philosophy for broad use, however, it would be good for more specific applications.

I don't quite understand how one could make a "brand new" something based on something else. In this case, an operating system based on Linux.

Doesn't brand new mean...brand new?

"Micro$oft," clever.
It's a brand new spelling convention based on the exact same spelling convention, but brand new.

Either Android is mentioned as some kind of a mobile interface to the server unit or HP is totally crazy.

problems to be solved before linux can fully replace Windows, mainly gaming

I think if they would put all games out for linux then windows would no longer be needed in the home.

Hey I have a friend that purchased office 365...what a fing rip off. Its $10 a month and he uses word about 3 or 4 times a month. So it cost $3 every time he uses it?
I asked what else and he didn't say anything for a while, finally said oh I use the spreadsheet some times.

Microsoft is such a rip off, they have done nothing new in 10 years just keep repackaging the same thing and wanting more money.
Now they are talking about no more os purchases we want $150 a year to lease windows.
ok thats inovation?
Apple os upgrades cost what $30.

and office for apple is a lot cheaper then office for windows

And you didn't show your friend Libreoffice which is free of cost and has the familiar good interface of the older Office?

Memristor is not solid state memory, in fact memristor cannot exist in a solid state format. It is a completely different technology and may be a replacement altogether for solid state. .

Sorry I meant non-volatile memory, not solid state.

I'm sorry but the sentence is clear, they used the word AND, "On top of that, HP is working on a brand new operating system for The Machine based on Linux. And another one based on Android, Fink continued:" which tells me it is more than server products. and I never said this was the end of micro$oft, only a blow, huge difference. if micro$oft wants to compete they need to come up with fresh and new something they haven't been able to do in a LONG time. competition is going to force companies to come up with something really cool, that is exciting.

I'm sorry but the sentence is clear, they used the word AND, "On top of that, HP is working on a brand new operating system for The Machine based on Linux. And another one based on Android, Fink continued:" which tells me it is more than server products. and I never said this was the end of micro$oft, only a blow, huge difference. if micro$oft wants to compete they need to come up with fresh and new something they haven't been able to do in a LONG time. competition is going to force companies to come up with something really cool, that is exciting.

EDIT: correction at the very very end:

Since then, HP has introduced new Windows 8 PCs. But it has also introduced new Google Chromebook laptops and an experimental new desktop aimed at businesses that runs Android.
they talked about HP developing experimental desktops running Android.

Still fail to see how any of this is a "blow" to MS. MS itself is developing new methods as well.

I am sorry, the sentence is clear, but your interpretation is wrong. The Machine is clearly listed as a large data center system. The OS's are being developed for that purpose. They mentioned no other devices and certainly never once mentioned mobile or desktops. You can infer what you wish, but that was not what was said in the article. Mentioning Android means little as it is just a flavor of Linux. It could be that they want to create a system that houses all the processing and you can connect dummy terminals up to it. In that case it may have VMs of Android systems that serve as clients, with the expectation that the end user will be familiar with the look and feel of that GUI. But that still doesn't mean they are making any solution for desktops or stand alone systems.

ok you can say there would have VM of android, the article leaves it open for one to believe they are going to use a FLAVOR of android for something else other than servers, like someone else suggested, mobile use, OR maybe desktop use, isn't that what chrome is? either way Hp is working on something more than servers, desktops, mobile we have to include, the scope of computing is changing how it turns out I have no idea but it is exciting to watch. otherwise WHY use android you have to ask that question, what is android used on now? mobile and chrome books, simple if you ask me, and yes it is a flavor of linux.

ok you can say there would have VM of android, the article leaves it open for one to believe they are going to use a FLAVOR of android for something else other than servers, like someone else suggested, mobile use, OR maybe desktop use, isn't that what chrome is? either way Hp is working on something more than servers, desktops, mobile we have to include, the scope of computing is changing how it turns out I have no idea but it is exciting to watch. otherwise WHY use android you have to ask that question, what is android used on now? mobile and chrome books, simple if you ask me, and yes it is a flavor of linux.

No i edited that statement as I mentioned above. At the end of the document it did indeed talk about desktop systems based off of Android. It was just one line at the end. The article itself is just doing a poor job of explaining the whole thing. What HP seems to be doing is really nothing different than many places are already doing including MS themselves. Its all part of the move to the "cloud" architecture. The only difference in this particular system is incorporating new hardware which should have been the focus of the story in my opinion. Memristors have been talked about a lot, but we haven't really seen any significant use that I am aware of yet. It is something my friends in EE have been talking about for some time now.

No i edited that statement as I mentioned above. At the end of the document it did indeed talk about desktop systems based off of Android. It was just one line at the end. The article itself is just doing a poor job of explaining the whole thing. What HP seems to be doing is really nothing different than many places are already doing including MS themselves. Its all part of the move to the "cloud" architecture. The only difference in this particular system is incorporating new hardware which should have been the focus of the story in my opinion. Memristors have been talked about a lot, but we haven't really seen any significant use that I am aware of yet. It is something my friends in EE have been talking about for some time now.

i apologize for not catching that. I would agree though for someone like myself i would rather have the cloud at my house, smart house, plus eternal hard drive, I'm thinking though I will add a server with raid to replace the eternal hard drive. I would rather have the ability to play with it than pay for it, plus the thought of hosting my own email sounds cool, of course I would pick up a cisco pix, and have to make sure all updates are done, so on so forth but mine.

The open source nature of Linux is also it's biggest downfall. Linux slits it's own wrist.

Rather than teaming up with an existing distro, HP, like all other companies, wants to make their own version. This adds to the existing massive fragmentation of the Linux market.

If Linux wants to have a larger desktop market, then people in that market need to work together.

Just because HP is designing their version of this tech, and the OS is based off a Linux distro, doesn't mean either will take off. HP probably just needs something to demonstrate the benefits of the system, and basing this off Linux makes sense since it does at least have the benefit of being open source for projects like this. However, I'd bet you all the gold in Fort Knox that by time this architecture is complete and widely available, MS will have made the necessary modifications to Windows to allow it to run on such systems and fully benefit from the new architecture. Even if the differences between architectures are huge, MS will have time to see this coming and engineers/money to make it happen. Edit: Assuming any of this is more than speculation..

Last edited:
1.) Read the press release
2.) Read the press release
3.) Read the press release
4.) Read the press release
5.) Read the press release
6.) Read the press release
7.) Read the press release

Then, after you read the press release one more time, continue with:
8.) Re-Read the press release
9.) Note that the vision of the press-release and the vision the author got out of it are disjoint
10.) Stop reading crappy sensationalist news written by incompetent journalists who know nothing journalism nor computing

If the logical gap needed for the article to make sense is longer than A.) the grand canyon, B.) the grand canyon, or C.) anything longer than the grand canyon, immediately stop reading it. Do not repost. Do not re-blog. Do not share on facebook. Do not share on twitter. If you already did any of those things, do not pass go and do not collect $200. Just put it away and stop bringing traffic to it, because sharing it with people means more money for these horribly ill-formed 'news' articles.

In case anybody is have trouble understanding what's wrong with the BusinessInsider author's interpretation of the HP announcement, here's an example of a better article about 'The Machine'. Note the surprising lack of claims about HP 'destroying Windows'.

http://www.businessweek.com/article...e-hp-may-have-invented-a-new-kind-of-computer

Last edited:
Back