Linux based Spam filter...

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by TheCreator, Nov 18, 2007.

1. TheCreator

TheCreator 2[H]4U

Anyone have any recommendations... I'm thinking about implementing a Linux based spam filter to filter mail before it gets to our Exchange box...

2. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat [H]ardForum Junkie

3. RoBo

RoBo 2[H]4U

I like the way IPCop adds ***SPAM*** to the subject line rather than removing the email. :cool:

4. Jgedeon

Jgedeon Limp Gawd

All the firewalls listed above can do that.

Is it a firewall that the OP would like to set up or would you rather dedicate a system to only spam filtering?

5. eth00

eth00 [H]ard|Gawd

http://assp.sourceforge.net/ - Anti-Spam SMTP proxy is a pretty good one that is free and loaded with more features then you will be able to figure out in a few days

6. Xipher

Xipher 2[H]4U

7. oakfan52

oakfan52 [H]ard|Gawd

Considered upgrading to exchange 2007 ?

8. rob3r

rob3r n00b

I was just checking out Untangle the other day, has anyone here used it? I am very interested in what people think of it.

I think I'll probably put it on a machine sometime soon and just mess around, it looks very interesting.

9. TheCreator

TheCreator 2[H]4U

not this year, it's not in the budget, hoping next year.

10. TheCreator

TheCreator 2[H]4U

yeah i'd prefer just a spam filtering program.... already got a pix firewall running.

11. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat [H]ardForum Junkie

Those distro's up above can act as just a transparent gateway..to sit in front of your Exchange Server. I have a setup like that....an Endian box takes one of the additional public IPs that a client has in his IP block. MX record points to that public IP....which is mapped to the Endians red NIC from the Netopia router through IP mapping. All mail flow passes through the Endian box...green NIC is linked to the switch of their LAN. So their inbound mail gets cleanses from spam and viruses. Combined with the IMF in Exchange...they do pretty well..for "free".

Although honestly...a good box running Endian or Untangle...will run circles around an old PIX, and give you better features.

12. TheCreator

TheCreator 2[H]4U

yeah, but we are also using the pix as a vpn gateway which all of our employees with laptops already have the cisco vpn client configured, etc.