Linux based Spam filter...

TheCreator

2[H]4U
Anyone have any recommendations... I'm thinking about implementing a Linux based spam filter to filter mail before it gets to our Exchange box...

I like the way IPCop adds ***SPAM*** to the subject line rather than removing the email. :cool:

I like the way IPCop adds ***SPAM*** to the subject line rather than removing the email. :cool:

All the firewalls listed above can do that.

Is it a firewall that the OP would like to set up or would you rather dedicate a system to only spam filtering?

I was just checking out Untangle the other day, has anyone here used it? I am very interested in what people think of it.

I think I'll probably put it on a machine sometime soon and just mess around, it looks very interesting.

All the firewalls listed above can do that.

Is it a firewall that the OP would like to set up or would you rather dedicate a system to only spam filtering?

yeah i'd prefer just a spam filtering program.... already got a pix firewall running.

yeah i'd prefer just a spam filtering program.... already got a pix firewall running.

Those distro's up above can act as just a transparent gateway..to sit in front of your Exchange Server. I have a setup like that....an Endian box takes one of the additional public IPs that a client has in his IP block. MX record points to that public IP....which is mapped to the Endians red NIC from the Netopia router through IP mapping. All mail flow passes through the Endian box...green NIC is linked to the switch of their LAN. So their inbound mail gets cleanses from spam and viruses. Combined with the IMF in Exchange...they do pretty well..for "free".

Although honestly...a good box running Endian or Untangle...will run circles around an old PIX, and give you better features.

Those distro's up above can act as just a transparent gateway..to sit in front of your Exchange Server. I have a setup like that....an Endian box takes one of the additional public IPs that a client has in his IP block. MX record points to that public IP....which is mapped to the Endians red NIC from the Netopia router through IP mapping. All mail flow passes through the Endian box...green NIC is linked to the switch of their LAN. So their inbound mail gets cleanses from spam and viruses. Combined with the IMF in Exchange...they do pretty well..for "free".

Although honestly...a good box running Endian or Untangle...will run circles around an old PIX, and give you better features.

yeah, but we are also using the pix as a vpn gateway which all of our employees with laptops already have the cisco vpn client configured, etc.

Back