linux based firewall -questions

Dag33k

n00b
Aloha-
I am looking at makeing a firewall using linux. The computer that I will use is an old pIII 500 on a mATX board with one pci slot. My thought is to grab a dual port nic off ebay and install slackware. What I am looking for is a good guide to ip tables and a comment or two about your home firewall. ie what kind, homemade, etc.

dag33k

PS Anyone who would like to enlighten me on how to properly add a wireless segment to a wired network would be appericated. :)

Well if you wanna learn all about iptables, then other links might be what you want....

however, if you want to get the thing running quicker in the meantime you might check out ShoreWall.

Basically, it's a firewall based on iptables. Pretty easy to configure. Comes stock with a bunch of rules and lets you customize it from there. Pretty easy to set up.

I would DEFINATELY NOT discourage someone from researching and looking into how to use iptables to make their own, but if you want something quicker and easier at least to get it up, then check it out.

Originally posted by GavinJCD
http://www.samrowe.com/slb/article/76

Nuff said

So you believe everything you read on the net? Interesting. Personally I used smoothwall before and it's easy to install and works pretty well. I'm currently trying out IPCop and it works just as well.

One person isn't gonna stop me from using something if the product works well...

DICK Morell is no longer with Smoothwall anyway. I don't think a decision should be based on that. He was a DICK though.

I used to use smoothwall and now use Astaro because it has greater flexibilty. Smoothwall is very easy to use and set up. I think I would choose IPCOP over smoothwall now though because it seems to have a lot of "unofficial" support and some very cool addons.

The add on's section in IP Cop is nice, I like how the home grown mods are professionally packaged and easy to install... Makes it easier for someone who is not familiar with Linux to install things.

Back