Linus Torvalds Switches To AMD Ryzen Threadripper After 15 Years Of Intel Systems

Why not LTSC? LTSB is limited to really old nvidia drivers.
That one then lol. I have paid little attention to w10 outside of the disaster updates every few months and refuse to use it until I have no other option for games. I got W7 running on Zen+ so Zen2/3 won't be too hard either.

That sounds like a hassle if you're a gamer. Linux needs Vulkan to take off in a big way but that isn't happening.
If I'm lucky I play once or twice a month, so not a biggie to swap but I get where you are coming from. Main issue is certain software I need to use that may or may not be compatible (prem pro, paintshop pro, etc).

Vulkan is gaining momentum as more and more devs are using it, just their projects are still underway. W10 is not the new windows i'm looking for and i'll resist it until they figure it out or do more LTSC stuff. The slow adoption rate should say enough, forcing it via hardware also speaks volumes.

That one then lol. I have paid little attention to w10 outside of the disaster updates every few months and refuse to use it until I have no other option for games. I got W7 running on Zen+ so Zen2/3 won't be too hard either.
I have been using LTSC for about a year. Works fine for my workstation PC but I’m planning on regular W10 Pro for my gaming build.

I have been using LTSC for about a year. Works fine for my workstation PC but I’m planning on regular W10 Pro for my gaming build.
Uh oh.. why not use it for gaming? Not so good?

Uh oh.. why not use it for gaming? Not so good?
I assume there will eventually be a Geforce driver cutoff point like LTSB and I don’t wanna have to deal with that. Also getting LTSC activated is more of a pain in the ass, even if you purchase a key, and is sort of a grey area if that’s legit.

For a computer I plan to basically use like an Xbox....turn on, play game, turn off, I think it will be fine.

I have upgraded all my secondary computers and friends and family to W10 over the last year and honestly it’s fine for the most part in my experience. And this is coming from a staunch “Never 10” supporter. I mean a lot of the bullshit is still there: candy crush, annoying live tiles, forced updates, telemetry no doubt, but at some point I just got tired of trying to fight the man and joined the 99.9% of people who have other things to care about.

But I do enjoy the clean minimalism of a fresh LTSC install and have no plans to change from my daily driver.

...but at some point I just got tired of trying to fight the man and joined the 99.9% of people who have other things to care about.

Truer words, I also get tired of fighting the Microsoft agenda. Some changes I'm happy to see, but most of them are just more asshole bullshit, Microsoft always coming up with new ways to ruin my digital life. I'm good with LTSC for now until something forces me to forge ahead. There's a way to deal with activation that's pretty painless so that's not a problem for me.

Yeah there's GNU/Linux and I actually prefer FreeBSD, but those are not exactly free of headaches either. It's funny, every time I'm forced to do something I don't want with Windows I swear it's the last version I'm going to run. Been saying that since win7, never seems to happen. Kind of like a bad marriage, just can't seem to pull the divorce trigger.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I'm still dual booting, but I'm kind of done with Windows at this point. Too many annoying things, and the tracking, etc.

Linux isn't perfect, there are small annoying things too, but at least I feel like it's my computer.

Nice build. Didn't say what GPU. Would be interested to know if he went Nvidia or AMD.

Nice build. Didn't say what GPU. Would be interested to know if he went Nvidia or AMD.
Considering his dislike of Nvidia, it shouldn't surprise anyone:
from the linked article in the linked article (ZDnet is annoying) said:
While games and artificial intelligence and machine learning developers care deeply about graphics, video and image processing doesn't interest Torvalds much. He used:
"Some random Sapphire RX580 graphics card. It's overkill for what I do (desktop use, no games)."

AMD is more "open" than nVidia so Radeon would make more sense.

I use FreeBSD with an nVidia card and I have to use a closed source binary blob. It does the job, but it only works as well as nVidia wants it to. Not sure, but I think the Radeon driver for FreeBSD is open source. I don't do any gaming on my FreeBSD instance so I don't know how well the nVidia driver works with that, would have to use the Linux emulator or WINE, not many FreeBSD native 3D games.

BTW seems like nVidia changed the way they print their name, I remember way back when you used to see it as I wrote it, but now it's always NVIDIA, must be a Mandela effect.

Back