[Linus Tech Tips'] Response to YouTube's Shenanigans - Floatplane is Finally Here!

If they think its such a good platform, why haven't they moved their videos there exclusively? That doesn't look good when your parent company is sticking with your competitor. I know LTT says that they aren't competing with Youtube but I don't think anyone is stupid enough to believe that.

If they think its such a good platform, why haven't they moved their videos there exclusively? That doesn't look good when your parent company is sticking with your competitor. I know LTT says that they aren't competing with Youtube but I don't think anyone is stupid enough to believe that.
I think you need to finish reading the thread

Does anyone know what Float Plane's cut of the $5 bucks per month is? Is that cut lower than any other 1) Subscription-manager site (Patreon) or 2) Pay-video site (Vimeo)?

If the answer is yes, FP is lower, I can see why people might choose them. But if FP is equal or higher, then why not just go with a pre-existing solution or heck roll your own site / host your own videos entirely?

Does anyone know what Float Plane's cut of the $5 bucks per month is? Is that cut lower than any other 1) Subscription-manager site (Patreon) or 2) Pay-video site (Vimeo)?

If the answer is yes, FP is lower, I can see why people might choose them. But if FP is equal or higher, then why not just go with a pre-existing solution or heck roll your own site / host your own videos entirely?

The obvious reason is that would be a lot of work and probably expensive.

I think you need to finish reading the thread

I read every post in this thread before I made my post. I stand by what I said.

Just because Floatplane says they aren't in competition with Youtube, doesn't make it true. In the LTT video, they tried really hard to explain that there is no curation, video discovery, and that its not a platform to go to when you don't know what you want to watch. That doesn't matter, its still a video hosting company trying to get content creators to use their platform to host content for their viewers. Its like Taco Bell saying they aren't in competition with Chipotle because their business model is different. The experience of going to Chipotle is different than the experience of going to Tacobell down to the way you order your food. At the end of the day though, they are both serving cheap/fast Mexican food to people who want to consume cheap/fast Mexican food. You can't sell the same product using a different business model and expect people be to convinced when you say "we aren't in competition with this other company" over and over and over.

That doesn't matter, its still a video hosting company trying to get content creators to use their platform to host content for their viewers.

Ok, make a quick account and upload a 30-second video and give us a link.

Edit: took out a word because it sounded snarkier than I meant.

On Floatplane? What would be the point? Anyone who wanted to see it would have to pay $5 - so unless you want to pay someone $5 to see a random 30 second clip, I don't see what that would prove.

EDIT: But if someone on [H] wants to drop $5 - I'll go make an FP account / video right now :-D

Ok, make a quick account and upload a 30-second video and give us a link.

Edit: took out a word because it sounded snarkier than I meant.

It's a safety net / alternative monetization platform for full time streamers. How would you feel if some unknown yahoo filed a frivolous copyright claim on your channel that halted your only source of income for a month, or completely terminated it? There was a whole blow up with Verge vs Bitwit earlier this year that only got fixed because of the outrage from other streamers taking to social media. Bitwit could have lost his channel in worse case. Youtubes policies are vague all over the places at times.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...tubers-who-mocked-its-bad-pc-building-advice/

Hmm... I just signed up to Floatplane out of curiosity. The interface is god awful and you have to literally pay a monthly subscription fee per channel that you want to subscribe to. I see this going absolutely nowhere.

What would this prove?

What would be the point?

It would prove that floatplane isn't a Youtube competitor, obviously.

For one thing, since I checked, the signup process is not the same for creators and for supporters. For another, there's no free viewing options, and if anyone doesn't understand how that's fundamentally different to Youtube's model, I'm not sure what to say.

It's a safety net / alternative monetization platform for full time streamers. How would you feel if some unknown yahoo filed a frivolous copyright claim on your channel that halted your only source of income for a month, or completely terminated it? There was a whole blow up with Verge vs Bitwit earlier this year that only got fixed because of the outrage from other streamers taking to social media. Bitwit could have lost his channel in worse case. Youtubes policies are vague all over the places at times.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...tubers-who-mocked-its-bad-pc-building-advice/

Ok, I can see this as being viable. Thanks for clearing it up.

How would you feel if some unknown yahoo filed a frivolous copyright claim on your channel that halted your only source of income for a month, or completely terminated it?

This is important, because I think we all know that frivolous content claims to steal revenue are pretty much pandemic on Youtube. My personal favorite is the guy who got a copyright strike for music he wrote, followed closely by people who got them for using Youtube's free library.

Yeah must’ve missed that. That’s kind of ridiculous. Also the entire site looks like something some friends made for circle jerking each other. Pointless trash.

How is it ridiculous? No different than backing a creator on Patreon really. As for the UI, it definitely needs work. The site just went into beta so hopefully UI is something they plan to rework down the road.

I signed up for floatplane maybe like 4 months ago while, it was cool but I found myself not getting a lot out of it, didnt re-sign up. The whole reason I bought it was because I support LTT.

They may not have the best charts and leading edge in reviews but they make up for it in creating a community, they actively go out of their way to push positive collaboration instead of shaming other content creators (websites or youtubers, unless needed). In the past with tech sites, there has been a slight us vs them aspect, but LTT tries to get rid of that, which I appreciate. They make mostly interesting content about tech every day, yes they make money, yes they have lots of staff and support. It is still a lot of work and I'm sure that guy puts in a shitload of effort. They need a better support/suggestion system, and their forum is full of 12 year olds asking about their potato computers, but hey I was a 12 year old when I first joined this forum and that sense of people actually helping to give me solid advice is what kept me around.

Back